Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure monitoring system fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning on my way to work, about halfway through my 30 min drive a message popped up on my screen that says "tire pressure monitoring system fault - Pressure sensor fault may clear next drive". When looking at my psi it shows on 3 out of the 4 tires. The back left tire shows as "- -". I've owned my Tesla for about 29 days now and had no error up until now. I havent changed my tires at all and I have the default Aero tires that came with the car.

Any way to fix this? Or will this require a service appointment?

First, measure the air pressure in each of your tires the old fashion way, using a tire pressure gauge. If you don't have one, you can get one for just a few bucks at any auto parts store or most hardware stores. Measure the air pressure in each of the tires and compare those readings to what the TPMS is saying. Then, take some air out of the back left tire and then refill it to the recommended pressure. If that doesn't fix the problem with the car's TPMS (and it probably won't) then make an appointment with Tesla (or any good tire service center if the car is out of warranty) and have them replace the sensor in the back left tire. For years, I drove Volvos and ever since they started using TPM systems some time around 2008, I would inevitably have to have one sensor or another replaced at some point. Frankly, I wish these systems weren't mandated. It's just another piece of electronics that will fail and cost you much more money than using a pressure gauge and checking your tires once a week.

@PrinceCamel what di
This morning on my way to work, about halfway through my 30 min drive a message popped up on my screen that says "tire pressure monitoring system fault - Pressure sensor fault may clear next drive". When looking at my psi it shows on 3 out of the 4 tires. The back left tire shows as "- -". I've owned my Tesla for about 29 days now and had no error up until now. I havent changed my tires at all and I have the default Aero tires that came with the car.

what did you end up doing??

Could be a dead battery in the TPMS.. One time with my other car, I had them replaced when the batteries were low... One of the replacements I got, the battery died < 6 months later, so I figured it was a bad batch or something. Sucks that the batteries aren't rechargeable or replaceable, when they die, you have to replace the entire TPMS.

Had my new Model 3 for 3 weeks now and had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday: one of the sensors is now displaying "--" and I have the fault warning message. I have scheduled a service appointment, but I have never had any new car experience (BMW, Honda and Subaru) this bad. In addition to some other safety issues/concerns I have with Autopilot and cruise control (both systems slam the brakes on when I am passing under blinking yellow lights on my highway commute), this has been a very mixed to negative new car experience for me. The performance/dynamics of the car has been outstanding, but the driving tech just isn't quite there (at least that is my first impression).