Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment: Street vs Track and transitioning between

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I've been looking around for a set of alignment specs that people have had success on the street (spirited but without making a mess of the tires) and the track but they seem to be scattered about the site.

Specifically, I'm looking to see how those of you who daily their cars and do occasional track days have their cars set up. Do you compromise wear on the street for track performance or the other way around.

I bought the MPP upper control arms to dial camber in/out in the front between both street and track. However, I'm realizing the rear doesn't have the same process (no quick adjustment to correct toe/caster) so it seems like a compromise or a new alignment each time.

Current setup: MPP Sport Coilovers, MPP FUCA, MPP Rear Camber Arm, 18x9.5 w/ 265/40r18 Eagle Supercar 3's.

Previous discussion here:

In the end, it really matters how much you track, and how much you drive between. But also tire wear on the track without enough camber can cost you a whole set of tires in one day, so in some ways the street doesn't matter at all.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I run full camber daily. I am at around 15k on my current set and will soon have the tires swapped side-to-side so I can spread the wear out. Including F/R rotation, I expect to get a safe 30k out of the tires without getting below about 3-4mm tread.

I run 0 toe front and rear, which I suspect helps with wear. I tweak to 1-2mm rear toe-out for autocross days.

I used to adjust everything for each race day, but it got really tedious. Plus, my +22 wheels wouldn’t fit without a lot of daily camber.

Thanks for that gearchruncher. I missed that in there.

Lindenwood, what camber are you running f/r?

Based on the feedback, sounds like I will set it towards track and rotate tires as needed.
Whoops! ~3.3f and 2.5r, and it is still tight with my +22 offset and +5mm rotor hats!

IMG_2661.jpeg

Reactions: narth327
When I was still daily driving mine I would switch back and forth between my street and track alignment settings. Track settings on the street will eat up my tires quick as I run between 4 and 4.5* of camber up front and 2 to 3 in the rear. For the street I run 1.5 all around.

Reactions: juliusb
When I was still daily driving mine I would switch back and forth between my street and track alignment settings. Track settings on the street will eat up my tires quick as I run between 4 and 4.5* of camber up front and 2 to 3 in the rear.
How did you get 4.5 degrees in the front of a Model 3?
What process did you use to switch the rear between settings, given the camber/toe interaction?