TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tire repair kits

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by skip8jj, Apr 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

I believe there is a thread somewhere on this but have not found it. I know Tesla has a kit and there are some other kits, compressor and some sort of injectable plug material. While researching repair kits, a NAPA salesman said that "Slime" required the tire to be removed before injecting it and then the tire needed to be rolled about to coat the inside and hopefully find and plug the leak/hole. Further, I got the impression that at least some of the compressors would only inflate the tire if it is off the car. Does the tire always need to be off the car for such "on the road" temporary repairs? Thank you.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

1. Yes, the slime must be removed.

2. No compressor that I'm aware of knows whether or not the tire is mounted on the car. What I think he means is that if the tire has unseated the bead while getting a flat, those small compressors don't have enough volume to seat the bead again.

3. The kit I use. It can be used with the tire on the car, but it's far easier if it's off.

3. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

@Jerry, thanks. What kit do you use?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The red "kit" is a link.

5. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Does someone have a link to a video about how to use the tesla tyre repair kit?