Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire repaired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a slow leak in my back tire. Other tire shop refuse to repair leak, so i made an appt with Tesla to repair. Cost of the repair the hole was $70.00. Why does it cost that much, I googled and find out that there is a rubber slap on the inside of the tire so they had to remove the slap and patch it from the inside. I quess the slap of rubber running on the bottom flat side of tire is to absorb the sounds? Called Lex Brodie and they will do it for about the same price.

Just had a slow leak in my back tire. Other tire shop refuse to repair leak, so i made an appt with Tesla to repair. Cost of the repair the hole was $70.00. Why does it cost that much, I googled and find out that there is a rubber slap on the inside of the tire so they had to remove the slap and patch it from the inside. I quess the slap of rubber running on the bottom flat side of tire is to absorb the sounds? Called Lex Brodie and they will do it for about the same price.
What’s the labor cost per hour there in HI?

Apparently, there are a lot of places who refuse to use plugs and will only do a patch, which isn't really possible with the Continental tires because of the noise deadening foam glued to the inside. However, if you can find a small tire shop that does do plugs, you should be able to get it fixed for under $20. Then again, Hawaii is going to be expensive no matter what.

Gents, doing a plug repair for a simple tread puncture is dead simple.

Buy a tire plug repair kit and a tube of rubber cement. Then watch a few YouTube videos on how to do it.

Keep the plug kit in your trunk along with an electric tire pump, side cutters, and needle nose vice grips. Profit.

Reactions: bedoig and TomB985
$70 is actually pretty inexpensive if they are following best practices. Here's what it takes to patch a tire right:

And the sound absorption foam only adds a little extra effort.

Many tire shops will do it for free because while they lose money on every patch, they find potential customers to sell new tires. Tesla's not focused on the tire business, so it makes sense for them to charge.

Last edited:
Tesla charges you $70 because you are not going to come back to buy tires when you old one worn out! Pretty much all the tire shops around here will patch (the proper one that take off the tire and patch from inside.. yes they know to cut out the installation foam too) for free. This is the one I use:
Free Flat Tire Repair Service Near You - Les Schwab

They do it for free because they hope we will go back to buy replacement tires! Which I actually just did a month a ago.

Gents, doing a plug repair for a simple tread puncture is dead simple.

Buy a tire plug repair kit and a tube of rubber cement. Then watch a few YouTube videos on how to do it.

Keep the plug kit in your trunk along with an electric tire pump, side cutters, and needle nose vice grips. Profit.

Meh, the last time I tried doing this in some tires for my e350 work van I ended up ruining the tire..

I mean, I guess it was already ****ed but somehow I found a way to **** it up more.