Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Replacement Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's almost time to replace our stock 21's on our MS and I would appreciate any input from owners who have changed to other brands from Continental Extremes (stock). We have just over 28,000 miles logged and tread depths are in the 4/16 to 6/16 range (outer-middle-inner). My best guess is that I should do the deed mid to late September. Thoughts?

There are a million types of tires and just as many opinions (not really, but close). I think you want to consider what you like about the car and factor that in fairly heavily in to what you choose to buy. Tires really do make a difference.

What I will say is that if you are looking for max performance I wouldn't choose Continental. Michelin would be my first choice by a good margin. I've had excellent luck with both the PS2 and the Pilot Sport AS. I'm sure the Super Sport will be great too. That said, expect to tear these tires up fast. They are better than the early Pilot Sport but still go fairly quickly.

There are a million types of tires and just as many opinions (not really, but close). I think you want to consider what you like about the car and factor that in fairly heavily in to what you choose to buy. Tires really do make a difference.

What I will say is that if you are looking for max performance I wouldn't choose Continental. Michelin would be my first choice by a good margin. I've had excellent luck with both the PS2 and the Pilot Sport AS. I'm sure the Super Sport will be great too. That said, expect to tear these tires up fast. They are better than the early Pilot Sport but still go fairly quickly.

The OP is probably the only person in the world with 28K miles on a set of 21s. I think that speaks loads about his driving style. He's a perfect candidate for the ContiSilent. :)

I think it's about $900 installed by Tesla. Tire Rack also carries them and maybe there's some savings there.

No, it was $1770 for four including sales tax.

Yes, it cost me $1500 ($375 each) for 4 ContiSilents plus $125 to mount them at the Tesla Service Center. Plus 7% for Florida sales tax, or approximately $1738. (Tesla charges the same price for any of their 21" tires. So the original Continentals (ExtremeContact DW) cost the same as the new Continental ContiSilents.) It will cost you another $225 or so to have wheel alignment performed. Alignments are no longer included in the cost of annual maintenance.

Tirerack lists the the ContiSilents for $1628 ($407 each) for 4 plus about $70 shipping from Georgia to Florida plus 7% sales tax or approximately $1817 plus you would have to pay to have them mounted and for a wheel alignment.

So far it seems that Tesla is the least expensive place to purchase and install ContiSilents.

However, Tirerack only charges about $274 each for the orginal Continentals (ExtremeContact DW) plus about $73 shipping plus 7% sales tax or about $1251, plus you would have to have to pay to have them mounted and for a wheel alignment.

Larry

The OP is probably the only person in the world with 28K miles on a set of 21s. I think that speaks loads about his driving style. He's a perfect candidate for the ContiSilent. :)

I was about to say, 900 for a set of 21s? Sign me up!

1750 is around what I was expecting. I'm a pretty slow driver tbh, so we will see how my set goes. So far they have about 2k on them. Seem okay. If they do not survive 18 month then I will probably go down to these as the price of those, and tires is less than 1700 :)

I was about to say, 900 for a set of 21s? Sign me up!

1750 is around what I was expecting. I'm a pretty slow driver tbh, so we will see how my set goes. So far they have about 2k on them. Seem okay. If they do not survive 18 month then I will probably go down to these as the price of those, and tires is less than 1700 :)

I replaced my original Continental ExtremeContact DW at 21,500 miles at 2-1/2 years. They still looked pretty good and I probably could have gotten more mileage out of them. However, I am planning a long trip and I thought it would be a good idea to look into replacing them since one tire had a slow leak. It turned out the rim was bent and it may have been the cause of the leak. It cost me an additional $1,100 to replace that single wheel so those 19" wheels you are looking at sure are a great deal at $200 each even if you can't get the current sale price when you are ready to make the switch.

Larry

By the way, if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please click on the link in my signature.

Not that this was asked but I'll mention it - IMHO Discount Tire is awesome. While their prices aren't quite as cheap as TireRack their website is easy to use to buy, book appointment, etc and their service is top notch. I've had them do any number of my cars (including Ferraris) with excellent results.

Not that this was asked but I'll mention it - IMHO Discount Tire is awesome. While their prices aren't quite as cheap as TireRack their website is easy to use to buy, book appointment, etc and their service is top notch. I've had them do any number of my cars (including Ferraris) with excellent results.

Agreed, except for the 20 lug nuts they wrecked.

Congratulations Ben! I met you at a Watertown tire swap and hope to see you at the Wellesley party! I just upgraded to the 85D delivered a few weeks ago - the AWD and cold weather package (and next gen seats) swayed me after our last boston winter!

I got 25k out of my 21s, could have gone to 28k no problem, but they were getting loud and didn't want to endure that, but there was enough tread for 3k+ more miles. Service center told me those that make it past a few thousand (not destroyed by potholes, etc.) typically make it around 25k miles.

Yes, it cost me $1500 ($375 each) for 4 ContiSilents plus $125 to mount them at the Tesla Service Center. Plus 7% for Florida sales tax, or approximately $1738. (Tesla charges the same price for any of their 21" tires. So the original Continentals (ExtremeContact DW) cost the same as the new Continental ContiSilents.) It will cost you another $225 or so to have wheel alignment performed. Alignments are no longer included in the cost of annual maintenance.

Tirerack lists the the ContiSilents for $1628 ($407 each) for 4 plus about $70 shipping from Georgia to Florida plus 7% sales tax or approximately $1817 plus you would have to pay to have them mounted and for a wheel alignment.

So far it seems that Tesla is the least expensive place to purchase and install ContiSilents.

However, Tirerack only charges about $274 each for the orginal Continentals (ExtremeContact DW) plus about $73 shipping plus 7% sales tax or about $1251, plus you would have to have to pay to have them mounted and for a wheel alignment.

Larry
my local SC quoted about $1900 for the ContiSilents. Includes alignment, taxes, etc...

I got 22k miles on my original 21's. About 17 months of driving.

Just changed them last month to the new Cont tires mentioned above. Much much quieter. Def improvement.

My price $375 per tire plus $125 install fee.

Did mine at the Raleigh service center. Love those folks there.