Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Road Hazard Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Continental Tires offers a road hazard warranty. Has anyone ever made a claim? I just got a nail and the tire service I used could not guarantee the plug and patch due to the glue on the inside of tire used for holding the foam insulation. Tires are expensive, and I only have 2000 miles on 'em.

Hmmm.. I will contact Continental about that.

Road Hazard Coverage
Published 06/27/2002 11:14 AM | Updated 05/20/2021
03:44 PM
Is there road hazard coverage on my new Continental
Tires?
Road Hazard Coverage is offered to promote goodwill
and is not a warranty that your tire will not fail or become
unserviceable due to a Road Hazard. This Road Hazard
Coverage applies to Continental branded tires that are
purchased as new replacement tires, (excludes the
ExtremeContact Force, original equipment tires and any
tire used in competition).
When an eligible tire has a road hazard condition during
the first 2/32nds of an inch (1.6 mm) of treadwear or first
12 months from date of purchase, whichever comes first,
the tire will be replaced with a comparable** Continental
brand tire free of charge. A road hazard condition is
defined as a cut, snag, puncture, bruise, or impact break.
To start your claim, please take your tire to the place of
purchase. You will need your original sales receipt
showing the date of purchase, along with a copy of the
warranty, (please see links below). You are responsible for
payment of all applicable taxes, demounting, shipping,
mounting, and balancing charges set forth under this
Coverage. You are also responsible for payment of local
tire disposal fees and any parts or service regardless of
mileage or months of service. This includes payment for
tire rotation, alignment, towing, road service and valve
stems.
View the Total Confidence Plan warranty for more
information.

Upvote 0
I called Continental and they allowed me to make a claim and dependent on tread wear they will discount the replacement up to 50%. But jcanoe you are right, they normally do not offer any warranty on original tires. But the problem is that no tire dealership has the Continental ProContact RX tires. Everyone is on back order. Looks like Tesla dealership is the only place I can get that tire at full price.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I called Continental and they allowed me to make a claim and dependent on tread wear they will discount the replacement up to 50%. But jcanoe you are right, they normally do not offer any warranty on original tires. But the problem is that no tire dealership has the Continental ProContact RX tires. Everyone is on back order. Looks like Tesla dealership is the only place I can get that tire at full price.
Tesla Service is the most convenient (also most expensive) option. You might use this tire puncture as an opportunity to replace the factory Continental Procontact RX tires as they not very good for driving in even light snow conditions. Pitt is hilly, correct? If you anticipate having to drive in the snow there are much better tire choices for your Tesla Model Y. The Michelin CrossClimate 2 is one good option. The Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tire would be an acceptable tire for driving in light snow.

I am considering the following as replacement tires for the factory Continental Procontact RX that came on my 2020 LRMY. I have ~14.5k miles and 45% remaining usable tread. (I don't drive when there is snow/ice on the road.) The first choice remains the Vredestein Quatrac Pro All-Season tire. The second tire I am considering is the new Goodyear Electric Drive GT tire. (If you have USAA Automobile Insurance you can receive a 25% off discount on the purchase of Goodyear tires.) There is a Goodyear tire center nearby and also Goodyear Mobile Tire service is available in my area so I may do that when I decide to purchase new tires.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Btw, I have negotiated with Continental
Get a quote for the replacement tires, all in with mount and balance, even alignment
Ask them to give you reimbursement funds meeting at least 50-60%
You will be surprised how they give in order to keep you as a customer
Especially in this time of EV tire tech evolution
EV tires are like a reboot of the tire industry
Think Hancook gets it as they are now being considered for the first time with their EV Ion tires

Upvote 0
Think patches are superior to plugs
And if these tires get worse and you do a claim, the inspection is from the outside
But two flats after 1k miles is not great
I had similar once and it was not the roads but the tires were sub par
Replaced them after the 3rd flat

Upvote 0
Think patches are superior to plugs
And if these tires get worse and you do a claim, the inspection is from the outside
But two flats after 1k miles is not great
I had similar once and it was not the roads but the tires were sub par
Replaced them after the 3rd flat
Sorry, I have 35k on the car, was just saying that I have 1,000 on 2 tires since patched....

Upvote 0
I was told ( by Tesla and Continental) patches or plugs will not hold if they are near the side of tire due to flexing/sideloads. I am getting my tire replaced today at Tesla. $400 (wow!) but they have that tire. No one else has it and Continental is paying UPS for me to ship back the damaged tire to them and refunding me 50% ( $160 I hope) so they say. We will see. I'll let you know. T

Upvote 0
Continental Tires offers a road hazard warranty. Has anyone ever made a claim? I just got a nail and the tire service I used could not guarantee the plug and patch due to the glue on the inside of tire used for holding the foam insulation. Tires are expensive, and I only have 2000 miles on 'em.
My MYLR had a nail in the first 300 miles I had it, June ‘21. Small nail middle of the tread. Tire store gave me the same story about the glue on the foam, incompatible, etc. but they patched it with no guarantee. That was over 30,000 miles ago. Don’t sweat it.

Upvote 0
Well,

I learned my lesson. Got a roofing nail through the sidewall of a tire. Had to replace it. One of the other three tires had very little wear on it, the other two were nearly spent after 21,000 miles - Sadly, the tire with a nail in it also had little wear on it. Oh well - Yeah, I should be better about tire rotations, but I wasn't. No one else in the area carried the tires, and only after paying Testla $1200 to replace three tires did I find that I had other options, but not many - EV tires are a breed apart apparently. Live and learn.
Found out after I had Tesla service to replace the tires that they do not even offer free tire rotations. As another post mentions, the 19" tires that come with the Model Y are crap on even light snow. I will note the suggestions above for something OTHER than the Continental snow skis next time. Maybe if a long lost rich relative leaves me a ton of money I'll just get another set of tires for Winter driving in Colorado.

be well,
DLC

Upvote 0
Well,

I learned my lesson. Got a roofing nail through the sidewall of a tire. Had to replace it. One of the other three tires had very little wear on it, the other two were nearly spent after 21,000 miles - Sadly, the tire with a nail in it also had little wear on it. Oh well - Yeah, I should be better about tire rotations, but I wasn't. No one else in the area carried the tires, and only after paying Testla $1200 to replace three tires did I find that I had other options, but not many - EV tires are a breed apart apparently. Live and learn.
Found out after I had Tesla service to replace the tires that they do not even offer free tire rotations. As another post mentions, the 19" tires that come with the Model Y are crap on even light snow. I will note the suggestions above for something OTHER than the Continental snow skis next time. Maybe if a long lost rich relative leaves me a ton of money I'll just get another set of tires for Winter driving in Colorado.

be well,
DLC
The OEM Goodyear 20"s are crap too - I got around 16K on mine before upgrading to MPS AS4's which are excellent all around. If you got 21,000 miles on your 19's you did well.

Rather than buy 3 tires from Tesla you should have checked Discount Tire first and got a complete set along with free rotations and balancing. And they don't have to be EV specific tires. Something to consider for next time.

Reactions: DanDi58
Upvote 0