Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire rotation and wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 Model 3 SR+ just passed 10,000 miles. I scheduled mobile service to rotate the tires at my house. I have the Continental tires.

The tech measured all four tires at 8/32 and said no rotation was needed. He suggested waiting until I hit the 20,000 mile mark. He thinks I might get 50,000 miles out of these original tires.

While here he installed an o-ring at the top of the trunk power strut. The invoice called it "O-RING, EPDM, M3."

I asked about the A/C. This summer, on a few long-ish drives, I've noticed we're adjusting the A/C temp up or down every 15 to 20 minutes. Usually by just a few degrees. The tech said he would ask the service team to check the logs from my car. I don't remember if we had to do this last summer.

He suggested waiting until I hit the 20,000 mile mark
That is kinda bad advice. My mxm4 tires lasted 30k mi and they were still at 5/32+, except on the front driver inside where they were bald. Unless you remove the tire or get under it to look at the tread, you would not have known. I had new conti extremecontacts installed and had a wheel alignment done. My Tesla was delivered out of alignment with the front toe pointed out on both tires. I saved the two passenger tires, bought a used 18" model 3 rim and now I have a full size spare I keep in the trunk.
I've noticed we're adjusting the A/C temp up or down every 15 to 20 minutes. Usually by just a few degrees.
Maybe you and the occupants are adjusting to the temperature change and the heat that the roof glass allows in. My rear passengers complain that the rear vent isn't very good at cooling. My wife complains I have it too cold while driving when I am sweating in the "faux" leather seats.

Tire rotation is essentially to make sure they all use up equally. If they are indeed exactly the same thread depth then I don't think a rotation is required indeed. Don't wait for a particular mileage, buy a gauge (5$) and check yourself from time to time.

I tend to adjust AC a bit (0.5-1.0 degrees C) on long drives. I think it depends on sun vs clouds and how I feel, not necessarily that the car inside temperature isn't what I set it to. We're humans, we don't feel precise temperatures, we're colder when we're hungry etc... I also tend to set the rear output to ON on long drives, I feel it helps keeping the overall cabin at a more stable temperature instead of having cold air rushed on my face.

Tire rotation is essentially to make sure they all use up equally. If they are indeed exactly the same thread depth then I don't think a rotation is required indeed. Don't wait for a particular mileage, buy a gauge (5$) and check yourself from time to time.

I tend to adjust AC a bit (0.5-1.0 degrees C) on long drives. I think it depends on sun vs clouds and how I feel, not necessarily that the car inside temperature isn't what I set it to. We're humans, we don't feel precise temperatures, we're colder when we're hungry etc... I also tend to set the rear output to ON on long drives, I feel it helps keeping the overall cabin at a more stable temperature instead of having cold air rushed on my face.
Good idea on the tire gauge. I will do that, I'd like to have one.

I often turn on the rear output, like you on long drives or if it's really hot or cold.

Reactions: GtiMart