Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why rotate if wear is even?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first mobile service…It’s coming up on two years so I decided to change the air filters. While mobile tech was here I had him check tires since I only put air in as needed…no other tire maintenance performed….ever.

I was surprised with the even wear….fronts listed as 4mm left and rears at 3 after 23k miles. I would have rotated if I thought I could get through next winter…these are the stock Michelin Primacy mxm with 23.5k miles on them. I’m sure I’ll be down to 2-3mm by October and I don’t want to run another winter on them.

What have others experienced with no rotations? If wearing even, does it make sense to rotate other than because others are? Are there true performance gains otherwise?
Anybody have significant difference between front and back? Example: 6 in front vs 2-3 in back?

Trying to understand value and gain….and if I should plan to rotate my next set. Pretty sure I’m going with conti DSW 06 plus.

Reactions: XPsionic
Yeah, there’s no magic or inherent benefit to rotation. It just maximizes the life of the set by distributing wear, and improves safety by strategizing deeper tread in the rear.

I definitely recommend rotating in your case however, because when you hit a puddle that exceeds the limits of your tread depth, the last thing you want is traction in the front with none in the rear.

fronts listed as 4mm left and rears at 3

This is one of the reasons you rotate, the rears are wearing faster than the fronts, although admittedly not by much!. By rotating you allow the tires to even out. However, it now too late to rotate as most shops will not do anything to a tire below 4/32nd of an inch (3.175mm).

Keep in mind that places like Discount Tire will rotate tires for free!

…I don’t want to run another winter on them.
Rotate if and as you wish…other posters have answered the concerns well. I’d suggest however you might want to consider a winter tire for, um, winter. The Midwest gets its share of annual snowfall and the switch gives you new tread all around plus a much better-formulated tire for nasty conditions. And you could likely get another Fall out of your existing tires, maybe even another Spring next year.