TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tire rotation recommendations? San Mateo / Santa Clara counties

Discussion in 'California' started by mblakele, Jun 22, 2016.

1. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Looks like it's time for my first tire rotation, 90D with 19-in Michelin Primacy. I'm unlikely to DIY. I don't have any other reason to take it to a service center right now, and anyway I hear the local ones have fairly long wait times. So I'm here seeking tips on where to go for tire rotation in San Mateo or Santa Clara county.

If I end up picking a place via yelp, any tips on what to watch out for? I've read here that the lugs are soft and should be removed without using power tools. Is it difficult to get tire shops on board with that? Any other pitfalls for the unwary?

Thanks in advance!

2. chillaban

chillaban Member

Me too (tm) -- well I still have a few thousand miles to go but wanted to know as well.... where do people take their cars to get tires rotated, and does Tesla's service center do anything different/special?

I heard that air suspension requires recalibration/realignment after rotation, but I don't have the air suspension.

3. K_style

K_style Member

If come to my house, I will rotate them for you.

4. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Americas Tire.

5. mblakele

That's a generous offer, thanks for making it. I've made an appointment at San Mateo Tire & Brake, based on a mention in an older post here. But if that doesn't work out I'll message you and see if the offer's still open.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That may have been my recommendation. I've been using that shop for years. It may look messy inside, but they are honest and know what they're doing.

• Informative x 1
  7. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

The Tesla service center will prioritize your appointment if all you need is tire rotation. I was offered an earlier time to do that piece when it was 6.5 weeks out to book a regular service appointment in Burlingame. If you pre-purchased the service plan, tire rotation comes with that.

- K

• Informative x 2
  8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Tire rotations are free at SvCs as long as they are the OEM tires. Note this includes replacement sets, regardless of source, as long as they match the OEM variants.

• Informative x 1
  9. mblakele

For reference I had a good experience at San Mateo Tire & Brake. They did the job for $30 and took about half an hour, just enough time to walk across the tracks and have lunch at Ramen Dojo. Subjectively the ride feels a little smoother.