Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Tire Rotation Ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did mine today. Just got a 3 ton low profile at Harbor freight on Friday with a coupon they emailed me.

I did the rear with the big jack, and then there was clearance to get my "regular" 2 ton much smaller jack (you can carry it in one hand) that wasn't low profile enough on its own (I don't have air suspension, not sure that matters) to use the jack pucks, in the front.

Then turn the car around and did the driver side. Had to do it innthe street as garage is full of stuff and my driveway is steep

Then have the car reboot for about 10 minutes and then drive around another 10 until the new to my car TPMS sensors paired with the car.

Attachments

• 20230409_143321.jpg
    20230409_143321.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 689
  • 20230409_143748.jpg
    20230409_143748.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 78
@cmarshack do you happen to know if the 6000ELX would also work for a Model Y? I don't actually have that vehicle yet to check. Hard to find any reviews of a Model Y using it but I think I saw a version of the 6000 lifting a M3 so probably would work, right?
It will lift it. I have lifted both the model 3 and Model S with the 600elx. I actually have one for sale in SoCal since I have sold my vehicles. It’s in the for sale section.

In case you find yourself getting exasperated at all the effort to do the rotation exercise, keep reading.

If you like the excuse of the DIY Rotation to spend less time with your annoying family, skip this message, and carry on with discussions of jacks, wrenches, pucks etc.

---------------------------

Tire rotation is a waste of time and likely harmful.

Even if you convinced yourself tire rotations are beneficial and save a few pennies, by the time you add in costs, for instance if you value your time at all, the imagined benefits do not outweigh the definite costs.

1. There is a certain cost, either payment or value of your time, there is the additional cost of risk of damage to cars by jacking the cars and under or over tightening lug nuts.
2. There is no solid research that shows any benefit to tire rotation. Jerry the tire guy on here says he has seen some proprietary stuff but couldn't provide any pointers to any research that shows any benefit of tire rotation.

Even if there were some evidence it would need to show that regular rotation increases tire life:
  1. even when the car is properly aligned,
  2. even when proper alignment has designed in camber differences between front and rear require that a new wear pattern be achieved after every tire rotation, and
  3. that the increased tire life is of a magnitude that justifies both the cost, hassle, and the BMW-cited instability (see below) after a fresh tire rotation. (BMW owner's manual states: "In the interests of safety and maintaining optimal handling characteristics, tire rotation is not recommended."
  4. How will you know if your car needs alignment if you rotate the tires often?

BMW (and volvo and mini) says don't rotate. I trust the top german engineers relentlessly focused on handling and safety rather than tire mfrs focused on selling tires and avoiding warranty claims. (and service places interested to get you in on a regular basis to do a cheap service, and then upsell you various other service items that they newly identify/cause/lie about.

Here is another recommendation against tire (in this case tyre) rotation: Tyre Rotation - Current Recommendations stating "Many tyre manufacturers agree that it is no longer good practice to rotate your tyres in order to extend their legal life . . . at Kwik Fit we do not recommend tyre rotation"

upload_2019-6-6_15-18-40-png.416298

From Volvo Service Manager Bulletin

Tire Rotation
As suspensions and drive trains evolve, so do vehicle manufacturer recommendations for tire rotation.
Volvo's recommendations have always had a technical basis, while leaving some latitude for customer
preference.Presently, for current models, Volvo has no recommended tire rotation. Because this represents an evolutionary policy, customers may need the guidance of a Volvo service advisor to help them understand the performance and handling tradeoffs that come with tire rotation.

Benefit of Tire Rotation
On a front-wheel drive car, the demands placed on the front wheels during acceleration and cornering
can mean a dramatic difference between front and rear tire tread wear. Without periodic tire rotation
front-to-rear, the front tires will typically require replacement sooner. The primary perceived benefit of tire rotation is that front and rear tires will wear down at about the same average rate. In absolute terms, four tires will not last any longer this way. It becomes a customer choice between replacing two tires sooner and replacing all four tires later. However, with all current Volvo models, Volvo believes that numerous technical, performance, and handling benefits outweigh any perceived benefit of tire rotation. Following are some of those benefits.

Benefits of Not Rotating Tires

Braking Stability Performance

During hard braking, braking on a slippery road, or braking in a curve, good rear tire tread may help you avoid oversteer. Oversteer is when a turning vehicle wants to keep turning because of momentum and dynamic forces on the vehicle suspension. Volvo stability systems are all designed toward reducing or helping a driver avoid oversteer. Still, all things being equal, having more rear tire tread can contribute to reduced oversteer. Without rotation, the rear tires will naturally wear more slowly and have more tread.

Tread Set
As tires age, the tread adopts an angular set, based on its angle to the road surface. For vehicle handling reasons, front and rear tread angle is not the same. If tires are rotated, the tread will eventually set at an angle somewhere between what is optimal for a front or rear tire. Although vehicle ride, handling, and road noise may still be acceptable, they may not be optimal. Additionally, an infrequently or irregularly rotated tire may result in tire noise, faster tire wear, and unpleasant changes in steering feel and vehicle handling.

Driving Performance
A tire that can fully adapt to its position will generally provide better steering feel, lower tire noise, and better fuel economy.

Suspension Wear Diagnostics
Every vehicle's suspension needs periodic inspection and maintenance. A tire's tread wear pattern can be an aid in detecting and diagnosing a suspension problem. Each tire, if left in place, tells a story about its place in the suspension. Tire rotation, on the other hand, can mask a developing problem. Early detection is very important, because suspension problem can worsen tire wear, and reduce vehicle performance, handling, stability, and fuel economy.

• Love
Reactions: EatsShoots
I take the 5th wheel approach, since all of my vehicles have a donut (purchased separately if they didn't come with one), and I do a cross rotation with only one jack. Been doing it this way since I started rotating Mom & Dad's tires as a kid 30 years ago. Haven't tried it yet on the three week old MY but I will get there eventually...

Jack first wheel, install donut, downjack.
Move to next tire, jack, remove, install, downjack.
Repeat going around the car, winding up back at the donut. Reinstall the normal tire, remove donut, downjack.
Check pressure in all five tires and fill as necessary.

With a quick-pump floor jack and an impact for removing and initial snugging up of the nuts it goes quick, and it's a good time to check the pressure on the donut too.