Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
did you have to show them the jack points or did they already know what to do? not many teslas in my particular local area yet, so i'm a bit paranoid...

Definitely verify they know what to do. Mine did - they even proudly proclaimed they still use the hockey pucks a Tesla owner gave them ;)
It's the only place I'll buy tires now because of their free services. It earns them business and they know it. The one by me is always jammed though, so make an appointment, even for a free rotation.

Reactions: JeffnReno
did you have to show them the jack points or did they already know what to do? not many teslas in my particular local area yet, so i'm a bit paranoid...
I bought my own set of 4 pads from Reverselogic.com for the Model 3 that came in a nice case that I keep in the car and I will print out the page from the owners manual that shows the jack points before letting anyone besides myself or Tesla jack or lift my car for anything. Guess I'm "paranoid" too but to avoid damage to a very expensive battery, it may be wisdom is a better term.

Reactions: crackers8199
I bought my own set of 4 pads from Reverselogic.com for the Model 3 that came in a nice case that I keep in the car and I will print out the page from the owners manual that shows the jack points before letting anyone besides myself or Tesla jack or lift my car for anything. Guess I'm "paranoid" too but to avoid damage to a very expensive battery, it may be wisdom is a better term.

yeah, i think i may have to invest in a set. it'll make my life easier when tire rotation time rolls around...probably a good idea to have in the car anyway.

Any persons using Discount Tire or other nationwide tire dealer in an area that is mostly Tesla free? Would they have the proper jack point tool? There is very few Teslas in the two county region around my home, so trying to gauge whether local Discount Tire, Firestone, Tireman, etc will be able to handle a tire rotation... likely they will be able to do it but also very likely not many Teslas through their shop.

Any persons using Discount Tire or other nationwide tire dealer in an area that is mostly Tesla free? Would they have the proper jack point tool? There is very few Teslas in the two county region around my home, so trying to gauge whether local Discount Tire, Firestone, Tireman, etc will be able to handle a tire rotation... likely they will be able to do it but also very likely not many Teslas through their shop.

I've seen posts where people just kept 4 hockey pucks in their cars for places to use.

Does that work with the Model 3? The lift points are different, and seem to be close to being flush with battery.

That's a good question. I have an S and a 3 but assumed the 3 was similar underneath. Looking at the diagram for the model 3 owners manual, it does appear that the jack points are different but I'm not sure how small they really are yet. :(
https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf (page 130)
vs
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf (page 162)

You called them to schedule a tire rotation and they just sent someone to your house? Did you ask for that? What was the wait time?

Yep. Nope. 1 day. o_O

I called the service center (back when it was on Badura) and asked if they really wanted me to rotate every 5,000 miles. They said, yes, and then told me I didn’t need to bring it in, that they would send a Ranger to me. He showed up the next day.

amusing that this just popped back up today...i had meant to post and forgot. i'm having mine done by mobile service today as well...no charge (supposedly), but they were supposed to be here an hour and a half ago. called my mobile service contact, and no answer. left a voice mail, but no return call yet. this is more than slightly annoying.

Yup, that's what the guidance is from Tesla owners manual at least. I just do it every 7500 - and yearly maintenance every 15k. Old school like that I guess - if ICE cars only need it every 15k, why would an electric need it sooner? :\

There is no annual maintenance on the 3.
  • Brake fluid replacement. Every 2 years or 25,000 miles (40,000 km), whichever comes first.
  • Battery coolant replacement. Every 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.
Guessing they went with 6,250 miles for tire rotation so the brake fluid replacement would be on the fourth tire rotation.