Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire that equals or similar to 4S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know everyone here loves the 4S and I know it’s a silly question but is there something similar to the 4S in all aspects? There has to be one tire at least.

If you go by Tire Rack testing and surveys which I think are right now the benchmark, there is competition but there is nothing better. It used to be that the Continental ExtremeContact Sport tire was more comfortable than the Michelin tire which in its earlier generation the SuperSport was not the greatest riding tire but in the recent surveys the Pilot Sport 4S has passed the Continental in the comfort category, equaled if not slightly exceeded it in the wet, and exceeds it in the dry by a decent margin. Although these are subjective ratings they are over many hundreds of users and they tend to be pretty accurate when you get 500+ people rating the tire.

Also available on their website are video reviews with track testing. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S wins those too, pretty much hands down. So long story short, there is no better Street Tire. There are clearly some better tires for the track, but if the track is wet, it might not be a bad choice there also - much easier to control for example than the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, which is pretty dicey to run in the rain. It doesn't hold up however to running competitively on tracks in the dry particularly in hot weather where the tread just can't take the Heat. But on the street there's really nothing frankly that's all that close overall if you look at all aspects.

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR82XS
after putting a set of them on these 18"s, I'm a fanboy and understand why everyone loves them. There's also a place here I drive at occasionally called exoticsracing.com and every single one of their cars use the PS4S, except for the fastest Porsche GT2 RS and they run Michelin cup series on that one.

Until something comes out that can outperform this tire, I'll never buy a different model for any of my vehicles.

I know everyone here loves the 4S and I know it’s a silly question but is there something similar to the 4S in all aspects? There has to be one tire at least.

from my research, if you don’t want to spend the money on a ps4s, these are 2 other contenders that don’t hurt to try, but won’t be as good as the michelins. They’ll be comparable for regular street and a bit of spirited driving (at least that’s what other people said):

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0FK510XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wall=Blackwall&partnum=535WR0FHI5XL&tab=Sizes

As i told you earlier, i did go with PS4S, which might be expensive, but I don’t do such a high mileage.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
Hopefully he's not looking at these from a cost perspective after scolding me that i 'need to buy a different car if I can't afford a set of $5,000 wheels' :D
When did I ever say that? Lmao. Post the link to the thread if I did.

The whole discussion isn’t about me affording it...it’s about which one is closest to 4S. The section width and thread width is what I’m primarily looking at. The blue car has 9j wheels and is running 235/35 TO. The right car has 9j wheels and running 245/35. You can see sidewall profile and rim guard on both. Before spending said 1200 ish buck I want my tire to look and perform a certain way. I don’t want to upsize to a larger section if I don’t have to.
1E9274AC-ADA7-4795-ADED-F3E80B57AEA8.jpeg
B6BE799C-3F15-4AA0-8A8F-2B5F10D22C09.jpeg

Hes probably talking about this (bolded text. I bolded the text in question but didnt make any other alterations to this post)

Note, I am not making any representations either way, just answering the "where did I say anything like that?" question you asked. Its in the context of another discussion though.

Big Brake Kit the China option?

I don’t think he’s trying to say that at all. He’s saying if a company is legit...they’ll backup their product aka warranty. Chinese companies fake their certifications in order to make a buck and since they are overseas how would they back their product? There’s nothing wrong with Chinese made products...as long as there’s checks and balances.

Ask yourself this...if your roof needed to be reroofed, Would you put shingles on your roof if the company / manufacturer didn’t guarantee their product / workmanship? What if the shingles flew off during a storm...would you call them back to fix it? Yeah you can go with a lesser company but they’ll probably never come back and make things right or they’ll steal your deposit and never answer back. It’s probably NOT a good idea to cheapen out on a roof but you definitely can be cheap on drywall or paint or tile or other items that don’t compromise Safety.

So yeah. Moral of the story is don’t be cheap on wheels and brakes. Either make more money or drive a cheaper car. Your expectations are too high to which you cannot afford so you’re making compromises.

The whole discussion isn’t about me affording it...it’s about which one is closest to 4S. The section width and thread width is what I’m primarily looking at. The blue car has 9j wheels and is running 235/35 TO. The right car has 9j wheels and running 245/35. You can see sidewall profile and rim guard on both. Before spending said 1200 ish buck I want my tire to look and perform a certain way. I don’t want to upsize to a larger section if I don’t have to.View attachment 618232 View attachment 618233

well, TO run much wider than standard ones. Also, seems like sidewalls kinda differ from one brand to another.

hopefully i can show you what 245s look on the 9j sv104 in couple of weeks. Would be nice to see a 255 on that same wheel to make a good comparison. If you can convince Jamie to mount a 255 tire and send you a pic, that would be your best option.

as for other tires, ping the Sig thread and see who’s running waht on ther sv104s.

Hes probably talking about this (bolded text. I bolded the text in question but didnt make any other alterations to this post)

Note, I am not making any representations either way, just answering the "where did I say anything like that?" question you asked. Its in the context of another discussion though.

Big Brake Kit the China option?
Thanks for posting this. I posted my reasoning above for this thread. Going to a 255/35 in a PS4 makes the section width 10.2. The wheels are flush with the car so I don’t want a muffin top for tires. Hence the intent of the question. I can more than afford the tires and all my parts on the car are not bottom of the barrel.

I'm running a set of 19" Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3's. They are actually a Tesla Approved tire and come on the "Summer Package" if you order off their website.

I've been quite happy with them! Smooth, good efficiency, quiet, predictable, with decent handling characteristics - and the price is significantly less too!
Thanks for the feedback I’ll look into it. Also the falken fk510 had a good section and tread width. Weight is 1 lb over PS4 and good reviews too