Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear on 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I just purchased a used 2016 MS 60D with 12K miles and have a question about tire wear. I was unable to get any records so I don't know anything about service on the vehicle (e.g. did they do tire rotations) however a quick check of all the tires showed 2 at 7/32+ and 2 at just above 5/32. They are the OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring. I know on our FWD Volt, the fronts wear faster due to the fact the fronts do all work - regen, traction, braking, etc. What about on the AWD Teslas? Are the front more prone to tire wear? Or do the "D"s use rear wheel drive more? Trying to figure out how to 'rotate' the tires to get the most wear from them and hopefully balance out the wear before I have to replace them.

Thanks for all comments.

Frank
Michigan

...still looking for some help.
The tires tend to wear pretty evenly in most cases. If you do a lot of highway driving and have automatic lowering set, then you can get some additional wear on the inside of the rear. If you do a lot of city driving, the front might get a little more wear. On the highway, in theory, the front does more driving so might wear a little more. Your alignment might be off, so the front might wear more.

In short, nobody answered you because it's complicated and whatever answer was given might be wrong. For safety, the general rule is to put the most worn tires on the front. If you are trying to even out tire wear, put the most tread depth on the front.

Actually what I'd do is just not worry about it.:)

The tires tend to wear pretty evenly in most cases. If you do a lot of highway driving and have automatic lowering set, then you can get some additional wear on the inside of the rear. If you do a lot of city driving, the front might get a little more wear. On the highway, in theory, the front does more driving so might wear a little more. Your alignment might be off, so the front might wear more.

In short, nobody answered you because it's complicated and whatever answer was given might be wrong. For safety, the general rule is to put the most worn tires on the front. If you are trying to even out tire wear, put the most tread depth on the front.

Thanks! New to AWD and our Model S. Only had it for 2 weeks.

Frank
Michigan

That is a good answer and supports everything I have read and experienced as well. The combination of the vehicle using only the front motor at speed and steering input wear on the fronts more than compensates for the larger motor on the rear putting more force on the rear tires at high acceleration. I would assume more energy regenerates from the front than the back also, or some serious oversteer may occur, so the front wear exceeding the rears slightly makes sense.

Plenty of threads to search for replacement tires when the time comes.

Reactions: FMinMI
Mine is a '15 MS 85D, CPO bought it Sept. 2018. Replaced the OEM michelin primacy rear tires at 25k. Fronts look like they will make 30k.

You CAN get prior records from the SC. I did, and found the car had 1300 miles before initial title, obviously a demo.

Mine is a '15 MS 85D, CPO bought it Sept. 2018. Replaced the OEM michelin primacy rear tires at 25k. Fronts look like they will make 30k.

You CAN get prior records from the SC. I did, and found the car had 1300 miles before initial title, obviously a demo.

OK on the tires and service records. My problem is I can't go in person as the nearest one is 4.5 hrs away. Not sure if they will do it over the phone.

Thanks.

As BerTX implied, it is complicated and lots of variables. My question is if you OP think those are the original tires that came on the car? I thought originals were Continental, but I might be wrong. If not original, then I wonder when they were replaced.

Not a direct comparison, but in one of my cars, a model X with 22,000 miles on original Continental tires, I have exactly the same remaining tread life on front and rear as yours. As I understand, the front may wear slightly more than the rear (opinions vary), but as said, lots of variables like suspension setting, speed, driving patterns, road conditions, type and brand of tires, and a bunch other things I likely forgot to mention.

As BerTX implied, it is complicated and lots of variables. My question is if you OP think those are the original tires that came on the car? I thought originals were Continental, but I might be wrong. If not original, then I wonder when they were replaced.

Not a direct comparison, but in one of my cars, a model X with 22,000 miles on original Continental tires, I have exactly the same remaining tread life on front and rear as yours. As I understand, the front may wear slightly more than the rear (opinions vary), but as said, lots of variables like suspension setting, speed, driving patterns, road conditions, type and brand of tires, and a bunch other things I likely forgot to mention.

The window sticker says nothing about the tires other than 19 inch Slipstream rims so I have no idea, but the rims show no sign of being rebalanced (old tape marks/glue from weights being removed) so the only other option is that someone switched rims and tires from another Model S to mine. Seems doubtful but possible. There is also no bad wear indicating an alignment issue. What is possible is that the car only saw city driving the majority of its life with lots of stop/go/regen. That would wear them down quicker.

I did find two used Goodyear Eagle Touring tires at a local tire store that came off a Tesla (has the foam inside) with 8/32 left on them for only $110. I will run the current ones for a few more thousand miles, then put the used ones on in place of the 5/32s, putting them on the front. Then, when they all get down to about 5/32, will review some of the posts on tires to see what new set I should get.

Thanks.

The window sticker says nothing about the tires other than 19 inch Slipstream rims so I have no idea, but the rims show no sign of being rebalanced (old tape marks/glue from weights being removed) so the only other option is that someone switched rims and tires from another Model S to mine. Seems doubtful but possible. There is also no bad wear indicating an alignment issue. What is possible is that the car only saw city driving the majority of its life with lots of stop/go/regen. That would wear them down quicker.

I did find two used Goodyear Eagle Touring tires at a local tire store that came off a Tesla (has the foam inside) with 8/32 left on them for only $110. I will run the current ones for a few more thousand miles, then put the used ones on in place of the 5/32s, putting them on the front. Then, when they all get down to about 5/32, will review some of the posts on tires to see what new set I should get.

Thanks.
Another possibility is tires getting a flats that were not repairable, and they replaced 2 tires.