Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Normal mileage for a tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got my second tire rotation appointment in a couple of days at the same store.
Arrived at 8:05. Appointment was at 8:15. Started at 8:12. Promised by 9:15. Ready at 8:53.

Vehicle was raised using floor jacks. Fronts moved to rear. Rears crossed to front. All four tires balanced. I watched them tighten the lug nuts in the proper sequence by hand using a torque wrench. Based on the time spent and number of employees, I estimate they lose about $20-30 every time they rotate and balance my tires.

Very pleased with the courtesy, quality of work, and of course, the price: $0.00. :)

I will certainly consider using @Discount Tire when it comes time for tires.

At 13,000 miles, all four were at 6/32" - down from 8/32" when new - and wear is perfectly even after my ~6,500 interval.

Tesla recommends replacement at 4/32", which should be about 26,000 miles.

I plan to keep the tires in service until 2/32" (the minimum legal tread depth here), which should be about 39,000 miles.

tempImagee3SSoZ.jpg

Last edited:
You’ll certainly get more if you rotate them like you’re supposed to.

Re: Continrentals:
I have 22k on my 2021, and they just got their first rotation.
I had mobile service out at 12k miles, but the technician told me the tires looked great and advised me to wait till 20k.

The tires are surprisingly durable and have far exceeded my expectations. I'm expecting at least 45-50k on this set. That comparable to my ICE experience. I'm also pretty fussy about the tire pressure since I got a pistol sized compressor.

42...it's the answer to the universe and tire pressure.
😎

I have had three Michelins blow out on my vehicles (one on my Volvo S70 and two on my wife's Lexus LX470). I don't trust Michelins in FL due to our heat (my experience: humidity traps the heat and melts Michelins in Florida).
Blowouts tend to be caused by hitting things such as potholes and curbs or running with under inflated tires. Not many places are hotter than where I live in SW Arizona. 🥵

I don't rotate my tires often at all. Instead, I bought a tread depth kit, and measure the depth more often. Rear tires wear way faster for me but still able to keep all tires roughly even.

I have about 33k miles on my car now, and both sets of tires (OEM and CC2) are just under half way through (I dump when tires hit 4/32-inch). I would say, I can hit 40k miles when I get to 50% on 8 tires, so perhaps that's the range for my driving style.

When I first received the car, I was accelerating more aggressively, as it was addicting. Now, I only do it when I need to. Perhaps that helps retaining the treads.

As a comparison point, the tire wear rate is almost the same as my previous car, a BMW X3. As a comparison, the MY LR is only 11.7% heavier than the new X3, so I doubt weight makes that much of a difference - driving style makes the biggest difference.
I don't know what I was thinking when I did the conversion from km to miles... 😅

I'm at 84,000km now, which converts to 52.5k miles. Now all of my 8 tires are very close to 50%. I may be able to hit 60k miles before declaring 50% across the board on all 8 tires.

I think 60k miles on an EV is pretty decent.

It looks like we'll be down to the wear bars at 18,000-20,000 miles on our 2022 MYLR. As others have indicated, the rear tires wear faster. With a 46/54 (F/R) weight distribution of a heavy (4400lb) car and regerative braking accomplished by the rear motor, the rear tires don't stand a chance. I'll be looking for better tire wear rating when the OEM Contis are replaced.

It’s pretty much 50/50, but yes to all of those points

The technician said that because EVs are heavier, there is more wear on the tires and the mileage expectancy is much lower. But still, it's only been just over 15k. How long should I expect to get out of the Continental 255/45R19s?

Thanks and regards,

Very often, and with Tesla too, the stock OEM tires come with a lower tread depth than standard in order to have higher efficiency and advertised for MPGe or range. The OEM tires are often special models made in conjunction with the manufacturer. They negotiate over performance, efficiency and especially cost. The one thing that neither tire maker or automaker cares about is longevity.

Since range sells more in EVs than gas cars, this phenomenon is more universal with EV stock tires. It's also true that there's somewhat more wear because of weight but the lower tread depth to start adds on to the problem. The foot on the electron pedal also contributes significantly. Chill mode and frequent rotations help somewhat, but most replacement tires with full tread will last longer.

Reactions: Skavatar
I've been wondering about tier wear too. I have 30k on my OEM tires. I have 7mm tread depth left. I was afraid I wouldn't get 25k out of them. Now I'm hoping maybe I can make 40k. 50k would far exceed my expectations. I drive in fairly flat Wisconsin. I don't accelerate hard as a general rule (only occasionally to show off).

As for tire plugs, I won't suggest anyone does as I do, but I use tire plugs all the time. I have three cars and it seems 1 or 2 or them have a tire plug all the time. In 25 years of using tire plugs I've had zero issues. I plug my Model Y tire at 20k and have gone another 10k without issue.

I do rotate regularly myself and maintain the air pressure.

I'm excited to hear there are a few people that think they can get 50k out of their tires. I'd love to be in that club. We'll see.

Reactions: zoomer0056
MYP staggered wheels/tires would need to be rotated side to side. which wouldn't be as beneficial as rotating all 4 wheels on non staggered wheels/tires.

one option is to get same size wheels/tires for all 4 wheels/tires, then add a 15-20mm wheel spacer/adapter to the rears to keep that staggered look.

I have had three Michelins blow out on my vehicles (one on my Volvo S70 and two on my wife's Lexus LX470). I don't trust Michelins in FL due to our heat (my experience: humidity traps the heat and melts Michelins in Florida).
Your personal opinion. I have run Michelins on my sedan, pickup and Suburban in North Carolina heat for 20 years with no ‘melting’ problems. Longest lasting tires bar none- research and testing proves it.

Reactions: fholbert and fsb1
I’ve purchased a wide variety of tires for all kinds of vehicles. From my experience, differences between brands is not that dramatic, types of tires like summer performance and all weather, etc is. There are too many variables between drivers, road and environmental conditions to truly compare two tires except when it’s on the same car and track such as Tire Rack does with many. I’ve had a bunch of brands on everything from a motor home, to a box truck, to a model 3, to a corvette, to a BRZ, to a F250, to a Honda Accord. I haven’t seen a super significant difference between them. Just like I’ve plugged many a tire and have never had one fail.

It seems, opinions on tire rotation, plugging a tire and tire brands are like butt holes…everyone seems to have one including me

Bottom line, get what makes you happy and what you can afford.

Reactions: carpendj
I’ve purchased a wide variety of tires for all kinds of vehicles. From my experience, differences between brands is not that dramatic, types of tires like summer performance and all weather, etc is. There are too many variables between drivers, road and environmental conditions to truly compare two tires except when it’s on the same car and track such as Tire Rack does with many. I’ve had a bunch of brands on everything from a motor home, to a box truck, to a model 3, to a corvette, to a BRZ, to a F250, to a Honda Accord. I haven’t seen a super significant difference between them. Just like I’ve plugged many a tire and have never had one fail.

It seems, opinions on tire rotation, plugging a tire and tire brands are like butt holes…everyone seems to have one including me

Bottom line, get what makes you happy and what you can afford.

There really isn't an opinion on tire rotations..if you have the ability to rotate, you should do it.

To what x/32 inches do you guys let your tires run down to? Assuming non winter months...
My MY's tires started at 8/32".

Tesla recommends replacing them when they wear to 4/32".

I plan to replace them at 2/32", which is the minimal legal tread depth here in Texas.

We very rarely get snow here - maybe a day or two every several years. And, I have enough sense to not drive 75 MPH on wet roads.

I suspect there will be a larger number of vehicles on the road with less than 2/32" of tread next year - 2024 is the last year for annual vehicle safety inspections in Texas. :(

Reactions: JohnB007