Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Normal mileage for a tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 15,400 miles on all four original tires. Our 2023 MYLR is about one year old (purchased on 12/31/23). The tires have not been rotated yet.

I need to purchase one tire because the plug on the passenger rear tire has a slow leak. It was recommended that I purchase two because I was told that the tread on the driver rear has more wear than the front tires.

The technician said that because EVs are heavier, there is more wear on the tires and the mileage expectancy is much lower. But still, it's only been just over 15k. How long should I expect to get out of the Continental 255/45R19s?

Thanks and regards,

I hit a nail within a week of ownership. Coincidentally its passenger side rear. The Tesla technician told me to replace the tire rather than plug saying plugs are not fool proof. Cost to replace is $400 plus. I am pissed but I asked him to plug for now. At the very least you should get at least 20K out of it.

I need to purchase one tire because the plug on the passenger rear tire has a slow leak

Tires should not be plugged and most reputable shops will not plug a tire in the first place. It should have been patched and you should still be able to have the tire patched. Some shops will not patch an EV tire due to the “foam,” just shop around.

As to rotations, Discount Tire does rotations for free so there is no good reason not to rotate tires. I do mine every 5,000 miles as it is easy to remember i.e. at 5K, 10K, 15K, etc.

Both tires (front left and right) and rear (left and right) should have approximately the same tread depth. That is why you were advised to purchase (2) new tires for the rear at this time. If one tire has less tread (more than 1/32nd inch to 2/32nd inch less than the tire on the opposite side this can cause the traction control to incorrectly sense that the wheel is slipping (the tire with less tread will turn slightly faster). The traction control may apply the brake to this wheel to stop the wheel slip (even when there is no wheel slip). This is not a concern if the front wheels/tires are slightly different size from the rear wheels/tires. You should always install the new tires on the rear even it is means rotating the existing rear tires to the front.

The Continental ProContact RX have 9/32nd tread when new (most new tires have 10/32nd tread depth when new). This saves a little weight and lowers the cost (less rubber.) The ProContact is an OK all-season grand touring tire with good rolling efficiency. This tire performs poorly when driven on snow or ice, so there is that. Tesla has moved on and is now delivering the Long Range Model Y with Pirelli Scorpion M+S all season tires. It is all about the $. If Tesla can save a couple of dollars per vehicle by installing Pirelli tires instead of Michelin or Continental they will do so.

Many Model Y owners end up replacing the OE Continental tires at ~22k miles. There are a few owners who have been able to get much more mileage from the OE tires. It all depends on your driving style. Jack rabbit starts will quickly wear the rear tires.

You don't have to rotate the tires, just expect less life from the tires before they will need to be replaced. (I am currently at almost 18k miles and have never had the OE Continental tires rotated.) I will replace the OE tires at the first signs that they are slipping on wet roads (I don't drive my Model Y when it snows.) This will happen long before the 2/32nd inch wear bars are exposed. If I end up keeping my 2020 Model Y I will replace the OE Continental tires by ~23k miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skavatar
I have about 15,400 miles on all four original tires. Our 2023 MYLR is about one year old (purchased on 12/31/23). The tires have not been rotated yet.

I need to purchase one tire because the plug on the passenger rear tire has a slow leak. It was recommended that I purchase two because I was told that the tread on the driver rear has more wear than the front tires.

The technician said that because EVs are heavier, there is more wear on the tires and the mileage expectancy is much lower. But still, it's only been just over 15k. How long should I expect to get out of the Continental 255/45R19s?

Thanks and regards,
Ask them to pull the plug and patch it from the inside, It will save you hundreds.

Rotate them while they are working on the car.

Tire milage depends on the type of driving you do. Some need a set at 6k, I don't think many are getting over 25k on a set of tires.

I don't rotate my tires often at all. Instead, I bought a tread depth kit, and measure the depth more often. Rear tires wear way faster for me but still able to keep all tires roughly even.

I have about 33k miles on my car now, and both sets of tires (OEM and CC2) are just under half way through (I dump when tires hit 4/32-inch). I would say, I can hit 40k miles when I get to 50% on 8 tires, so perhaps that's the range for my driving style.

When I first received the car, I was accelerating more aggressively, as it was addicting. Now, I only do it when I need to. Perhaps that helps retaining the treads.

As a comparison point, the tire wear rate is almost the same as my previous car, a BMW X3. As a comparison, the MY LR is only 11.7% heavier than the new X3, so I doubt weight makes that much of a difference - driving style makes the biggest difference.

@Skavatar thank you for your business, we are happy the store was able to get you taken care of. Tire repairs and simple rotations are done for free as a courtesy.
For decades, I rotated my own tires...because I could and because I don't like other people touching my vehicles due to the high risk of damage.

My Model Y was the first vehicle I've owned that I couldn't perform my own tire rotations on. I learned that Discount Tire rotated tires at no charge, so I tried them. Despite making an appointment, I still had to wait about an hour because they overbooked. Once they got to me, they were very accommodating. I've got my second tire rotation appointment in a couple of days at the same store.

Thanks for providing these services as a courtesy!

It looks like we'll be down to the wear bars at 18,000-20,000 miles on our 2022 MYLR. As others have indicated, the rear tires wear faster. With a 46/54 (F/R) weight distribution of a heavy (4400lb) car and regerative braking accomplished by the rear motor, the rear tires don't stand a chance. I'll be looking for better tire wear rating when the OEM Contis are replaced.

It looks like we'll be down to the wear bars at 18,000-20,000 miles on our 2022 MYLR. As others have indicated, the rear tires wear faster. With a 46/54 (F/R) weight distribution of a heavy (4400lb) car and regerative braking accomplished by the rear motor, the rear tires don't stand a chance. I'll be looking for better tire wear rating when the OEM Contis are replaced.
This is why it is important to rotate tires. My advice is to not replace them with OEM tires, you can find better ones. Go to Discount Tire's' website, or another company, and do some research. I am sure others will offer you recommendations.

I checked with couple of shops and they both declined to patch saying it was a foam filled tire. I had no option but to go with Tesla.
You need to find a different tire shop.
The tire isn't "foam filled", it has a sheet/layer of glued in foam that follow the perimeter of the tread. As other's have already posted, the repair is minimally more time consumng than simply patching: cut out the foam, patch the tire, re-glue to foam. Adds probably 3-4 minutes to the repair time.

Reactions: Skavatar and ATPMSD

Thanks and regards,
I plugged my 2022 MYLR rear tire at 48k and drove it until 68.5k. Then, at 68.5k, I replaced all four tires. Looking back on it, if I wanted to save money, I would repeat it; if I wanted to have 100% in all four tires, I would replace the one. I did have some noise from my plugged tire for 20,000 miles.

I’ve had two sets of Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires from Discount Tire. They wear great and look cool. 😎 Great year-round traction, including winter mountain peak rated.
I have had three Michelins blow out on my vehicles (one on my Volvo S70 and two on my wife's Lexus LX470). I don't trust Michelins in FL due to our heat (my experience: humidity traps the heat and melts Michelins in Florida).

I plugged my 2022 MYLR rear tire at 48k and drove it until 68.5k. Then, at 68.5k, I replaced all four tires. Looking back on it, if I wanted to save money, I would repeat it; if I wanted to have 100% in all four tires, I would replace the one. I did have some noise from my plugged tire for 20,000 miles.
Hum…? At 48k miles (on the tires?), replace one (punctured) tire with a new tire?

Putting aside any claims that tire shops want you to replace tire as pairs, just so they can make money. I don’t think that could ever be a good idea.

Unless you shave down the new tire, which would be a total waste of material and money, there would be too significant tread difference between that one and rest. That could be as something annoying, like it thinks one or more tires are underinflated, to messing with traction control and who knows what. For the driver it means, on one axle you have two different traction levels and if one overwhelmingly overrides the other, you might end up losing control.

Then there’s the physical parts. When you turn, the differential gets used (ever so slight wear) to allow the two sides to spin at different speed as needed for the turn. With one (unshaved) tire paired with a very used tire, it’ll be like it’s in a permanent turn when going straight. Would it turn into an issue in the future? Don’t know, but the fact it could is enough to deter most.

I’m of the firm belief, unless the whole set is quite new, fix a puncture or replace them as a pair/full set of four.