Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Wear P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
High powered Vettes spin their tires pretty readily, you simply can't do that with a all wheel drive Tesla. Nobody is driving aggressively enough on the street to induce noticeable wear on their tires. The preceding photo is clearly a insufficient toe in problem. Camber, in the amounts on any Tesla, is at most like driving on the inner 4 inches of the tire. If you had a 4 inch tire, it still wouldn't wear like that at that low mileage. Also, the moderate camber balances wear when you go around turns and the tire plants flat due to the camber. Lack of toe in causes the inner edge of the tire to scrub constantly resulting in the depicted wear at low mileage and probably uses more juice too.

AWD helps tremendously.

I have noticed a definite difference between my RWD MS60 and the AWD loaners I have had. My car tends to fishtail (even in dry conditions) while the AWD keeps the car glued to the road.

My rear original Goodyears need replacing after 12K miles. I've never had tires wear out so quickly. The weight of the car is definitely a factor. It may have also been accelerated as a result of the sideways motion of the fishtailing.

If I had to do it over, I would have ordered a dual motor for the AWD - now standard along with the auto-liftgate, which I also wish I had.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
most of my cars have been rear wheel drive. my previous car was a Challenger SRT8. that thing was downright dangerous in anything other than dry conditions. when the roads got wet, it was hard not to spin the tires no matter how softly you pulled out from a stoplight. we had a surprise snowstorm one day and i had to drive it home from work -- that was the scariest 2 hours of my life. i seriously thought i was going to die. i was all over the road, and the steering input i was giving it only had the vaguest effect on the direction the car went.

the Tesla is my first AWD car and i am never going back to RWD. sure, i can't swing the back end out like i used to, but it's soooooo much better feeling planted to the road in any condition. this car's ability to launch in the rain is just bonkers.

I have the same Z06 with just a tad more power. You're not having enough fun if you are getting 9000 miles out of your rear tires ;-). I'm lucky if I see 6000.

HA HA absolutely! My '06 Z06 would get 25 mpg on the freeway driving to the track since it's 6th gear was so tall... but we only got 6 to 8 mpg at Spring Mountain Motorsports track events... and the tires suffered badly. :cool:

most of my cars have been rear wheel drive. my previous car was a Challenger SRT8. that thing was downright dangerous in anything other than dry conditions. when the roads got wet, it was hard not to spin the tires no matter how softly you pulled out from a stoplight. we had a surprise snowstorm one day and i had to drive it home from work -- that was the scariest 2 hours of my life. i seriously thought i was going to die. i was all over the road, and the steering input i was giving it only had the vaguest effect on the direction the car went.

the Tesla is my first AWD car and i am never going back to RWD. sure, i can't swing the back end out like i used to, but it's soooooo much better feeling planted to the road in any condition. this car's ability to launch in the rain is just bonkers.
I've owned a string of performance Audis. After the first one I have owned nothing but Awd cars. Why pay for all that power if you can't put it down?

People who like to swing out the back end can do that with a light 180 hp car. It's a rewarding way to do it. But if you're driving 400,500,600 hp cars, awd is the only way to go.

Last edited: