Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire/Wheel question from a noob (Re: 21” ubers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it be crazy to purchase a pair of 255/35/21 uberturbine wheels so you would have a square set of 4? At least this way you could rotate the tires for better tread life, correct? I really want the performance model but the staggered tire size is a deal breaker for me..... I drive approx 35k miles per year!

That's an idea. I wouldn’t pay full price just to get 21x9.5 +40 wheels and 255 tires tho.

Probably cheaper to buy 19" Geminis take off - I got a newly taken off for $1750 here. I replaced the 21" Überturbines (kept as back up) with Geminis to get range back. I now have 302 miles at 100% SoC.

I drive about 36000 miles a year using LR AWD Model 3, mostly Freeway speed in SoCal. The car used to be rated 310 miles 18 months ago when it was new. Now, 100% SoC is at 291 miles at 63K miles on odometer. I commute 160 miles and recharging at 90% (257 miles) daily. I end up with about 60 miles at end of the day, 70 miles at most on a good not so hot day/cold day. That trip is from home to work and back.

Using Performance Y at 291 miles (100% SoC new) is gonna be just like my LR AWD Model 3 trip, only its gonna show degradation from there.
I suggest finding the most efficient wheel/tire set there is for yours....

The bigger question is will the front 21x9.5"+40 Ubers (vs 21x10.5"+48) fit over the rear brake calipers on the MYP?

Having a square set up is fine, but there are grip benefits to staggered if the rear motor is more powerful or if you have more torque going to the rear axle.

I am picking up a PUP Model Y in a week and am in the market for the smallest set of wheels with some tires that will perform well enough to manage a Wisconsin winter.

Have done a lot of reading so far and it seems there are varying takes on what will fit over the brake calipers... being new to this place I am probably just not navigating the site well enough, but I'm curious if anybody can help me find a place that will tell me what I can buy for wheels? Got the dark gray and I'm probably going to tint it dark/wrap it matte, so a dark color would be cool, but really I just wanna get a smoother ride and winter functionality above all else.

I am picking up a PUP Model Y in a week and am in the market for the smallest set of wheels with some tires that will perform well enough to manage a Wisconsin winter.

Have done a lot of reading so far and it seems there are varying takes on what will fit over the brake calipers... being new to this place I am probably just not navigating the site well enough, but I'm curious if anybody can help me find a place that will tell me what I can buy for wheels? Got the dark gray and I'm probably going to tint it dark/wrap it matte, so a dark color would be cool, but really I just wanna get a smoother ride and winter functionality above all else.
Check out www.TSportline.com they make wheels for Teslas.

If you just use any old website and buy a size that you *think* will fit, be careful as you also have to take into account the spoke design if it will clear the calipers. Make sure someone has actually mounted the rims on a MYP.

Check out www.TSportline.com they make wheels for Teslas.

If you just use any old website and buy a size that you *think* will fit, be careful as you also have to take into account the spoke design if it will clear the calipers. Make sure someone has actually mounted the rims on a MYP.

True. Surely there wouldn’t be problem replacing the 275/35/21 rear wheels with the 255/35/21 front wheels since the front also has the large calipers. I wouldn’t think so anyway....

Ok so they have 19's at a reasonable price (Tesla Model Y 19). Poll the room: would you go with gray or black if you had midnight silver metallic and were planning to tint it/probably put on a matte finish? I'm leaning black but am curious what others think. Regardless, it'll be nice to have a lil gentler ride and less unsprung weight.

for a Y with red calipers and 21" uberturbines getting 4 of these with the inserts, EV01(+) 19X8.5. wheel manufacturer says they'll fit properly
using this tire setup: 245/45R19 for the front and 245/50R19 for the rear. radius/circumference within 1% of delivered front and rear
This might be just what I'm looking for. Did you order them from 1010? Did you talk to them or to the manufacturer about the fit?

for a Y with red calipers and 21" uberturbines getting 4 of these with the inserts, EV01(+) 19X8.5. wheel manufacturer says they'll fit properly
using this tire setup: 245/45R19 for the front and 245/50R19 for the rear. radius/circumference within 1% of delivered front and rear
I have been looking for a nice rim that size so I can have a second set for winter tires. What is the "insert" you are talking about?

There is not always the same clearance. That may be why they are using a staggered rim (9.5 front and 10.5 rear).

If so, could you change out the bigger calipers on the rear for the standard ones?

I realize I am reaching but I love the look of those wheels/tires but I just don’t want to replace tires every 12-15k miles..... I drive 30-40k miles per year

If so, could you change out the bigger calipers on the rear for the standard ones?

I realize I am reaching but I love the look of those wheels/tires but I just don’t want to replace tires every 12-15k miles..... I drive 30-40k miles per year
If people are putting the Gemini's on the Performance model, clearance with the brakes isnt an issue. Normally the rear tires are wider just for traction reasons but if you put the wider wheels on the front you would probably have clearance issues with the body while trying to steer. So the narrow performance will fit. The only weird thing you can run into though would be tire diameter. The rears are larger. Putting a smaller diameter tire on and calling it a 21" Uber equipped car may confuse the speed sensor calculation in the computer. Thats the only issue I would be worried about but the diameter difference is literally the same as putting worn out tires on one end and brand new tires on the other so it should be within tolerance.

I have been looking for a nice rim that size so I can have a second set for winter tires. What is the "insert" you are talking about?
sorry for the confusion. looks like the link above ( red evo1(+) ) in my original post did not go to a pair of pictures of the wheel. try this link to fastco's web page. the "NEW" EV01 picture shows the wheel without the inserts, the wheel labeled "NEW" EV01(+) is the same wheel with inserts. inserts are held in with bolts from the back of the wheel. the inserts provide an "aero" affect, reducing the drag from turbulence around the wheel and tire and car. fastco says the wheels won't be available until september or so.

Please don't make your brake calipers smaller. Tesla put those there for a reason. You will also lose brake feel from less pots.

Just get rims that fit.

If people are putting the Gemini's on the Performance model, clearance with the brakes isnt an issue.
I didn't realize anyone had done that. I just found a thread with pics. That changes things.