Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires for Model S--Michellin MXM4 vs Continental Purecontact?

Big Toys

Jan 19, 2019
Florida
Hey, I've got a slow leak in my tire, and it looks like I'm just about down to the wear bars, so tire places are reluctant to patch it. Might as well replace them all at once. There's lots of mention of the MXM4 on the forum, not so much about the Purecontact. I drive in Florida, so no snow, 2015 MS with 19" wheels. Opinions and alternatives?

M423

Aug 21, 2018
Miami, FL
I recently put the PureContact LS on my Model S and loving it so far, i previously put the Pirelli cinturato all season plus and love them as well but wanted a change , I also put the PureContact on my Model 3. So far so good on both cars

FoxSTL2HOU

Nov 12, 2018
HOU
I put the Pirelli P-Zero Nero AS on back in Mar2018, I've been fine with them for both commuting and multi-state travel but only looking to get half the 60k warranty (not entirely unexpected).

Nov 8, 2018
LX
I'm also looking to buy some tires for my late 2014 S85, so i'm interested in this.

What about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Pilot Sport 3? and what's the difference between these two?

Big Toys

Jan 19, 2019
Florida
I'm also looking to buy some tires for my late 2014 S85, so i'm interested in this.

What about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Pilot Sport 3? and what's the difference between these two?

I've seen the Pilot mentioned as well, but "Sport" sounds like it's a "sporty" tire, which is not how I drive..

Nov 8, 2018
LX
I've seen the Pilot mentioned as well, but "Sport" sounds like it's a "sporty" tire, which is not how I drive..

Yeah, i also don't need "sporty" tires, but i think these are just normal street tires all the way.

And what about the R19 or ZR19, what does it mean.
Anyone?

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19” OD-1/1/21 RN#1143376 DD 9/4 11am
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
Put the PureContact LS' on my 2019 RavenRefresh S P+L. The temps have changed, a bit cooler, but just wondering how much a range hit any of you may taken with the new tires. I have taken 10-15% hit since having them put on. I didn't think new tires would give that big of a hit from the Michelin Performance tires that were on there from the factory. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Could be the temps but it hasn't gotten significantly cooler yet. Anyone else recently put on new Conti PureContact LS' and see a range hit?

M423

Aug 21, 2018
Miami, FL
I haven’t seen a range hit so far with PureContact with Model S in Model 3 like 2-3 % , very efficient tire id say

buzescu

Jul 4, 2018
Kirkland, WA
I also have the Conți PureContact LS. VEry happy with them. Miles ahead of Goodyear's which could not handle rain brand new. Much better handling and not as hard which is better for this stuff suspension. Totally recommend. Also better price and 700AA rated...will see. Goodyears lasted 24k for me.

Reactions: boonedocks

EVnewbie

May 14, 2018
Philadelphia
I have the Conti PureContact on for a few thousand miles and have definitely seen a hit on the range. They are great tires and wear very well. Unfortunately, I may not get these tires again just because of the range hit.

Reactions: boonedocks

hari-bhari

Nov 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
What did you end up going with? I am debating between the MXM4, Bridgestone QuietTrack, and Conti Purecontact LS for my new 19" wheels. Currently I have the stock MXM4s on 18" aeros and I find them to be loud.

headcase

Jan 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I'm running on my second set of Pirelli P7 all-seasons, as the first set were quiet and great on range (Low Rolling Resistance). I don't recommend P7s for performance Teslas due to their harder rubber compound = less stickiness, but excellent all weather tires for rest.

OlderThanDirt

Apr 19, 2015
Two Rivers, WI
Fourthing the MXM4’s!! They would be the benchmark to judge any other tire.

We’ve driven hundreds of thousands of miles on a lot different tires. The MXM4 has to be the standout among all of them.

Reactions: Jashev
May 13, 2019
Charlotte, NC
I use Pirelli P7s on my late 2014 MS as well. And also used it on my old car and Wife's car. It has very good dry/wet traction and handling and low road noise. Across 3 cars, it has already been directly responsible for sudden emergency stops to prevent serious accidents. I would choose P7s, especially if the cost isn't too much compared to MXM4s, which stand as next best after P7s for me.

smilepak

May 11, 2015
SoCal, CA
I had Pirelli P7 and now have Primacy MXM4.

between the two, I’ll take P7. The MXM4 is not as energy efficient. You’ll lose 5% average. In terms of quiet, P7 . Handling MXM4.

• Helpful
Reactions: CravingMender9

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC