Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires for more grip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So, as I get more comfortable with... enthusiastic driving, and haven now driven a P85, I noticed that my tires will slide wide, and make a squeal, while the tires on the P85 (had 21 wheels) I don't know the tires.

I have the Good Year, RS-A2, which, for $114/each is a steal, but if I want more grip, what to buy?

If I buy a set of 21s and some other grippier tires, will TPMS be an issue? I don't have to have to mess w/that stuff every tire swap, as I'd just be swapping wheels for the summer myself...

ideas?

I assume you currently have the 19" wheel on your car. I had the 19" wheel on my P85, and recently bought a 21" wheel from the other Tesla owner. If you want to upgrade to 21" wheel, and do not want to mess with the tire swap all the time. All you need the the additional set of TPMS for your 21" wheels. You can get it from the Service Center ($50 each, so $200 for 4 wheel). So you end up having 2 set of TPMS, one with your 19" wheel, the other set with your 21" wheel. So all you need to do during the Winter / Summer, just a simple tire swap.

You don't really need to change rims. Performance summer tyres will get more grip than those all-season ones, regardless of the 19" rims. Michelin Pilot Sport 3 is available in 245/45 R19 and gets pretty good reviews. Expect slightly worse tyre wear and range due to the softer compound.

You might also need to keep a set of winter tyres - PA has mountains and cold winters, right?

21" has higher cornering stiffness but no more grip. In most respects, driving dynamics of 21" is no better or inferior. Durability can be bad, especially if you drive on poor roads. As jerry33 says, it's mostly about looks. Granted, they do look awesome...

I was thinking 2 sets, because yes, PA has snow and mountains. I could even do two sets of 19s. (Yes, I have 19s now) and PA has a LOT of pot holes.

So, a set of summer tires, and all seasons? or a set of summer tires + winter tires then.

I don't mind swapping tires my self in my garage, but really don't want to deal w/TPMS issues. If I have the sensors on my second set, will the car just recognize them and all is well, or do I have to program it or what's the deal?

I came from Jeep ownership, so swapping a tire on a 19" wheel is nothing vs. swapping a 35" tire on a 16" wheel... those were HEAVY.

Definitely recommend 2 sets of wheels/tires. If you're going to the trouble of swapping, each should have the best performance for their purpose, winter or summer. So summer performance tires and winter tires (snow or winter perf tires depending on how much snow/ice you get). For each set of tpms you only need to reset them from the center display when you swap them.

Before spending all the money on 21" tires, get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Bear in mind that 21" tires are 99% about looks.

I was there man. Early P85 owner. Hated the squealing on the goodyears. they dont grip enough for the P. I did get 44k miles out of them though before I replaced them.

Now I have 34k miles on 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (yes they are 255 profile, slightly wider) and LOVE them. ***BUT*** they are not a winter tire. I have got stuck in snow a few times. These tires are far superior to the OEM goodyears in both dry and wet grip, just not snow. I had issue this week with excessively worn bushing on the rear upper control arms which caused my alginment to go out of whack and I have feathering on one and worn inner shoulder on the other. I was down to about 3/32"-4/32" after 34k miles so I was close to replacing them anyway. I was hoping to squeeze another month or two out of them but thats out of the question now as its too dangerous when I'm almost down to the cords on the one tire. Since winter is coming up, as I typing this I'm also ordering 255/45R19 Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS. While the Michelins are awesome, I'm going to try something new only because according to tirerack they outrank the michelins in every category especially snow. I'm hoping their good enough in the snow around these parts (finger lakes and PA/north jersey).

heres the tirerack comparison for the 255s (245s are cheaper).

tire1.png

tire2.png

I was also checking out the Pirelli's on tire rack, looks like a great tire.

I'm thinking I'd get a set of summer tires on 19s and use my current 19s with the Good Years on them for winter time, until they are worn out... which won't be long considering I like to slide this car a lot :)

Only issue I have is sticking it in the turns when said turn is at the top crest of a hill. I don't know of any tires that will hold a slide when the car leaves the damn ground! lol.

The only redeeming quality of the good years is that $115 price point. I don't mind abusing them!

The only redeeming quality of the good years is that $115 price point. I don't mind abusing them!

yes while they're cheap as hell, every goodyear i've ever owned slips and slides in the rain including these ones. I think every car i had their OEM was goodyear and they all sucked. so i dont mind spending more than double that price to value my life and those in the vehicle with me.

I was also checking out the Pirelli's on tire rack, looks like a great tire.

I'm thinking I'd get a set of summer tires on 19s and use my current 19s with the Good Years on them for winter time, until they are worn out... which won't be long considering I like to slide this car a lot :)

Only issue I have is sticking it in the turns when said turn is at the top crest of a hill. I don't know of any tires that will hold a slide when the car leaves the damn ground! lol.

ask Ken Block about tires for air born maneuvers :tongue:

I love sliding around in my AS Good years, my PSS are pretty slippery too now and the 285s slide pretty well.
I am looking at getting a set of Potenza RE-71R, probably wont last too long but should kick but in corners