Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires rotation maintenance not being done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if this has happened to anyone. My M3SR+ is at roughly around 12k and never had a tire rotation done before. I scheduled a tire rotation maintenance with the Tesla app at around 7k. When the mechanic arrived, he said that my tires looked good and that I do not need a rotation at the moment. Now, skip a few months and I am at around 12k, so I scheduled another tire rotation with the Tesla app. The mechanic showed up and again I was told the same thing, that my tires are in good condition, and I do not need a tire rotation. I told him that I had never gotten my tires rotated since I bought the car, and he said that I did not need one. I thought that was odd, esp when just a few days ago, America Tires told me that my rear tire tread is getting low. So... I'm not sure what is going on, are the Tesla mechanic just being lazy and not doing the maintenance or was the America Tires employee trying to upsell me when I was there to get a nail removed?

I bought my 2019 Model 3 LR AWD in 2020 and asked the service center when I should rotate the tires. They told me I wouldn't need to because it’s AWD. But, my rear tires wore down quicker than front and I had to replace my tires around 38k miles. I plan on rotating them regularly now in case I can get a discount if the tires wear down and need replacing before the 45k warranty from the manufacturer.

I bought my 2019 Model 3 LR AWD in 2020 and asked the service center when I should rotate the tires. They told me I wouldn't need to because it’s AWD. But, my rear tires wore down quicker than front and I had to replace my tires around 38k miles. I plan on rotating them regularly now in case I can get a discount if the tires wear down and need replacing before the 45k warranty from the manufacturer.
12k miles on model s fronts 4/32 back 7/32. rotating will help extend the life

M3SR+ is at roughly around 12k and never had a tire rotation done before.
You should get a Tire Tread Depth Gauge and check your tires.
Take at least three measurements (left, right, and center) for each tire.

Tire Tread Depth Gauge .jpg

Use milimeters, this is more easy. When new tires are about 10 mm.
When worn out, the tires will have about 1 to 2mm left.
So this would give you an idea of how much left for the life of your tires.

Also you can detect if there is an alignment issue if for example
one outer side is more worn out.

The SR+ is a RWD so the rear tires are poing all the propulsion.
You should rotate your tires to get an uneven tread usage.
So the whole set will last longer.

It is better to change all your tires at the same time, and doing an alignment then.
A tire shop might not want doing an alignment if half of the tires are old.
And often you get a better deal when changing all your tires.
It is more simple also if you may want to use a different tire model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I have the same question, my SR+ RWD has 14,500 miles and I haven't heard a peep about any required service from Tesla. I typically rotate my tires every 5,000 miles but they have never been rotated at nearly triple those miles. Will Tesla reach out when they need to be rotated or am I completely on my own here? In this case, it sounds like a rotation was requested and Tesla maintenance arrived, just glanced at the tires and refused to do the work?

Reactions: skipugh
To each their own. I stopped rotating my tires on all of our vehicles about 20 years ago. I check the pressure and wear regularly and replace all 4 tires at the same time. My 2018 LR RWD has 28k miles and the tread is still good. The rear is worn more than the front, but I’m not about to give up turning/hydroplaning safety to get more miles out of the tires. I also don’t get an alignment unless I see abnormal wear. By not rotating I know exactly why the tires wear in that pattern vs rotating masking things. Our 2019 3P will probably need tires 1st because we like its acceleration.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Don't know what is odd about this. If the wheels stay aligned properly, then there isn't really any need for a rotation. Not sure why people think this is a must thing to do. My older MX has 60,000 miles now and never had a rotation. Hasn't been needed. When the original tires were replaced at about 28,000 miles, the wear was VERY even, and so is the 2nd set of tires that will be replaced soon. Just measure the depth of the tread on the inside and outside to see if the wear is even or not. If it isn't even then perhaps an alignment is needed.

Right from the manual, every 6,250 miles or sooner if there is more wear on one set.
1662668190537.png

Why are these mobile mechanics denying the work if it's in the manual?

Now with that said, I don't rotate my tires. The rear on our Model Y wear down so often, it's just easier to change the back 2 to 3 times more than the front. Several occasions, I've received prorated warranty for replacements. Our Model X are staggered so no need to rotate.

Yeah, rotation doesn't extend the life of individual tires, it makes it so they stay roughly the same diameter (all 4 of them) so you can change them all simultaneously. It prevents the diameter difference from being too high and screwing up the traction control systems too. It is recommended.
Ideally you check the thread depth and rotate when things start being different, not after x miles. Depends on how you drive.

I rotate on my driveway every April and October when I swap seasonals. The benefit is that I can use high performance summer tires (huge surface with awesome grip and softness, broken only by rain grooves) instead of all seasons, while in winter braking distance is half that of all seasons as they stay soft to 20 below. I have five cars to do, 3 babies who are now teens, so I recently moved to QuickJacks on rollers, and Milwaukee 12v stubby impact wrench and ratchet, last week did three cars in two hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Right from the manual, every 6,250 miles or sooner if there is more wear on one set.
View attachment 850403
Why are these mobile mechanics denying the work if it's in the manual?

Now with that said, I don't rotate my tires. The rear on our Model Y wear down so often, it's just easier to change the back 2 to 3 times more than the front. Several occasions, I've received prorated warranty for replacements. Our Model X are staggered so no need to rotate.
Good article on Tesla alignment and tire wear. What Wears Out Tires On A Tesla Faster? Toe or Camber?