Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been reading up on tire rotation procedures for the Performance MY and I’m still a bit confused. I know you can’t swap front and rear because of the different tire size. But for left and right rotation, is it necessary to unmount the tires and flip them around to maintain the correct direction on them?

Is everyone with an MYP doing the rotation or are some people just not bothering at all?

I’ve been reading up on tire rotation procedures for the Performance MY and I’m still a bit confused. I know you can’t swap front and rear because of the different tire size. But for left and right rotation, is it necessary to unmount the tires and flip them around to maintain the correct direction on them?

Is everyone with an MYP doing the rotation or are some people just not bothering at all?
On a 2024 MY? Pretty sure all tires are the same size.

I don't think MYP rotates.

I’m referring to the Performance version with staggered tires.
Sorry I thought they had stopped using different sized tires.

As far a direction of tire rotation, I don't think that's an issue with modern steel belted radial tires. FWIW, I cross rotate my tires (AWD) and haven't had a problem.

Direction of rotation being reversed sounds like a good question for @Discount Tire .

tireRotation_1.png

Last edited:
Sorry I thought they had stopped using different sized tires.

As far a direction of tire rotation, I don't think that's an issue with modern steel belted radial tires. FWIW, I cross rotate my tires (AWD) and haven't had a problem.

Direction of rotation being reversed sounds like a good question for @Discount Tire .

View attachment 1035902

There is no harm in cross rotating tires. Many owners manuals recommend crossing tires to the drive axle to promote even tread wear. 👍

Reactions: EdSt and fholbert
Thanks. Do the tires need to be reversed when doing so to maintain the correction direction?
Can anyone confirm if the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on the MYP are directional?
Do these tires have outer and inner sides?

If directional you cannot just swap sides
You have to unmount and reverse the tire assuming they don’t have an inner or out side requirement

For road handling design reasons, rhe MYP has negative rear camber causing rhe rear inner tire tread to wear, hence the Mointain Pass adj rear arms can be a solution, but will give up some Porsche style road handling

Waiting on @Discount Tire for tech responses of above but options can be:

Swap wheel sides and flip tires

And install adj rear arms for even better outcome if trade off ok

Directional tires are rotated front to back unless they are a staggered fitment in which case they remain stationary. Directional tires can be dismounted and remounted for the opposite side typically to get more wear from one edge to another. Asymmetric tires are required to be mounted with "This side out" but can be crossed when rotated.

Directional tires are rotated front to back unless they are a staggered fitment in which case they remain stationary. Directional tires can be dismounted and remounted for the opposite side typically to get more wear from one edge to another. Asymmetric tires are required to be mounted with "This side out" but can be crossed when rotated.
Can you clarify specifically for the OEM tires - Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 - are these tires directional, and if so, do they need to be dismounted from the wheels and remounted to maintain the correct direction when swapping from left to right. Thank you!

Reactions: kpanda17
Can you clarify specifically for the OEM tires - Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 - are these tires directional, and if so, do they need to be dismounted from the wheels and remounted to maintain the correct direction when swapping from left to right. Thank you!
The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 has an asymmetric tread design and can be moved from side to side without dismounting.

You can find out for yourself.

Directional tires have an arrow imprinted on them to indicate direction of rotation (for best performance). A more visually popping clue would be the tread pattern, directional tires usually end up with V or arrow like patterns, ‘>’.

Asymmetric tires will have “outside” imprinted on the side you typically see, the outside. I’m guessing they have “inside” imprinted on the other side, so that if you see it in the outside, you’ll know it’s mounted wrong. As for the tread patterns, one side of the tread face would be a different pattern than the other, typically.

The thing is, I said usually and typically, but that’s not absolute. A few tires might look like it, while not being it and vice versa. Hence why you are better off looking for the actual imprinted label.

As mentioned, these tires are asymmetric, but they are not directional. Again, you can confirm this for yourself by going to your car and looking at the tire.

Reactions: ewoodrick