Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, you can’t. Asymmetric means there’s an inside and outside (relative to the middle of the car), so you cannot flip them on the wheels.
Thanks for helping my brain, MPSAS4 is not directional, but is asymmetrical, meaning different inner edge than outer
1712403601567.png

hence why you cannot flip on the rim
so back to what we all thought originally, you can only swap the wheel/tire side to side and not fix the negative camber wear by removing and flipping the tire
unless you install the adj upper arms on the rear

I just talked to Tesla service, and he said no. Performance doesn't recommend rotating.
FWIW, here is the excerpt from the Tesla owner’s manual:

Vehicles with staggered wheels and non-directional tires can be rotated side-to-side (left-to-right) but not front-to-back as the front and rear tire size is different. Left-to-right rotation can increase tread life by changing the direction of rotation for each tire and balancing shoulder wear.

Square setup is best for a car like ours with a 50/50 weight balance. It also lets you rotate tires increasing total life.
The best thing to do is make sure your alignment settings are set for the best wear for your driving style. It should also be done with your weight in the drivers seat.
I just had an alignment done. I zeroed out the toe front and rear. Running -0.8 front and -0.9 rear camber. The more and faster you corner the more camber you need for even wear. That's why track cars need -3 deg.

Launching the car adds -2ish camber to the rear tires and if you start at -2 you will eat tires.

FWIW, here is the excerpt from the Tesla owner’s manual:

Vehicles with staggered wheels and non-directional tires can be rotated side-to-side (left-to-right) but not front-to-back as the front and rear tire size is different. Left-to-right rotation can increase tread life by changing the direction of rotation for each tire and balancing shoulder wear.
Haha. Is that the first time in this thread that the manual was quoted? :)

• Funny
Reactions: electricar
I’ve been reading up on tire rotation procedures for the Performance MY and I’m still a bit confused. I know you can’t swap front and rear because of the different tire size. But for left and right rotation, is it necessary to unmount the tires and flip them around to maintain the correct direction on them?

Is everyone with an MYP doing the rotation or are some people just not bothering at all?
Some may disagree but the only way to get a wheel alignment on an MYP is to buy and install a Rear Wheels Camber Kit.
I bought mine from Amazon and had it installed at my tire shop. Total cost about $400 including alignment 👍🏻

Reactions: Msicario