Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have Michelin Primacy tires on my model S and have been real happy with them as far as quiet and smoothness. In addition I have got just about 45000 miles on them and that is good news but I now have to replace them. The bad news this tire has been discontinued and replaced with the Pilot Sport A/S+. Does anyone have any experience with this tire or is there a better recommendation.

My prior Model S had the 19" Primacy tires, and my new Model S has the Pilot Sport A/S. I went from an 85 with new tires to a P90DL, so obviously there is a bit of a difference between the cars , but the new tires definitely seem more responsive. As for noise, I'd say they seem equal. I have no issues with the new tires at all and would get them again.

Note that Model S has recently been shipping with a new 19" OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring tire with a foam liner (quite different from the old Eagle RS on my 2013 build. I have no personal experience, but maybe a current/new owner driving on these tires (which were a replacement for the Primacy) can chime in and offer some insight.

I have the 19" OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring tires with foam liner. Car was delivered last month. I have absolutely no complaints with these tires. Time will tell how long they last. If they last 35k+ miles and are priced reasonably, I will buy again.

I currently have Michelin Primacy tires on my model S ... The bad news this tire has been discontinued and replaced with the Pilot Sport A/S+.

Why is there a misconception out there that this tire is discontinued? I've looked everywhere and I cannot find any evidence of this.

1. Michelin's US site lists the Primacy MXM4 as a current, latest generation tire.
2. Michelin's US site does not show the Primacy MXM4 on their list of discontinued tires.
3. TireRack.com has them in stock.
4. Discount Tire has them listed in about 40 different sizes on their website.

The only recent change is that Tesla is no longer using the Primacy MXM4 as the standard 19" tire on new Tesla Model S's. It's been replaced with the GoodYear Eagle Touring TO, which is specifically made for Tesla, and has the sound-reduction foam inside.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is not a direct replacement for either the Primacy or the Eagle Touring tires. The Primacy and Eagle Touring tires are in the Grand Touring category, which emphasizes smooth comfortable ride, low road noise, and high tread life at the expense of somewhat less wet and dry traction. The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is an Ultra-High Performance All-Season tire. It's targeted at the person who would ordinarily want the performance advantages of separate summer and winter tire sets, but wants to try get that level of wet and dry traction as well as light snow traction in an all-season tire. Traction and handling under wide and diverse temperature and road conditions is this tire's goal, at the expense of ride comfort, road noise, tread life, and energy use (the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is not a low rolling resistance tire like the Primacy).

Nobody has mentioned rolling resistance. As I recall, the Primacy scored reasonably well here. How do the Goodyear and the Michelin mentioned score compared to the Primacy?

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will probably increase energy use 10-15% over the Primacy. This is similar to the difference I see between my all-season set (Primacy MXM4) vs. my summer set (Michelin Pilot Super Sport).

The GoodYear Eagle Touring is not listed as a low rolling resistance tire, but Tesla would not have selected it as their OEM 19" tire if it didn't have good energy usage characteristics. I would guesstimate that it may use slightly more energy than the Primacy, but probably no more than 5%.

Does Tesla sell the Goodyear Eagle

Yes, you should be able to get the Eagle Touring tire from Tesla if you want. You will probably pay less, though, if you were to get it from Discount Tire (also branded as America's Tire in some parts of the US), or TireRack.com.

Be aware that Tesla has used two different GoodYear tires as OEM 19" tires -- in 2012-2013 the GoodYear Eagle RS-A2 was used. Today's 19" OEM tire is the GoodYear Eagle Touring TO, which is brand new. If you purchase the GoodYear tires from Tesla, make sure you're specifying that you want the Eagle Touring TO tires, not the older Eagle RS-A2.

Also note that the Eagle Touring "TO" is a special version of the Eagle Touring tire made specifically for Tesla, and has the sound reduction foam inside. If you look on TireRack, the retail version of the Eagle Touring tire is also available, without the "TO" designation, and without the sound reduction foam. Make sure you're looking at the correct version.

• Helpful
Reactions: eyespii
Thanks for the input and I think I will go with the Goodyear Eagle Touring TO but it is anything but easy to get a price .I called the local Goodyear store and they never heard of the tire and so I called my local Tesla service and they can get it and install during my annual inspection and the price is OK so that is my plan.

zipp555

Thanks for the input and I think I will go with the Goodyear Eagle Touring TO but it is anything but easy to get a price .I called the local Goodyear store and they never heard of the tire and so I called my local Tesla service and they can get it and install during my annual inspection and the price is OK so that is my plan.

zipp555

Maybe try Tire Rack??

I'm surprised that you all are having positive experiences with Goodyear tires. I have always avoided them like the plague and the tire shops around here always say, "Do you know why they are called Goodyear? Because you'll get one good year out of them!" ;)

I've always been a fan of Michelin and Continental, both have been great tires for me with regards to ride, comfort, traction, and noise. YMMV!

I just put my Goodyear Touring TO's back on for the winter and am amazed at how quiet they are and just how solid the car feels. I only had them on for a few miles after delivery as I had custom 21's put on, so I am really testing them hard now and they are outstanding. Would buy more of them in a heartbeat. Cant speak to wear yet, but they are ultra quiet, efficient, and feel great.

I'm surprised that you all are having positive experiences with Goodyear tires. I have always avoided them like the plague and the tire shops around here always say, "Do you know why they are called Goodyear? Because you'll get one good year out of them!" ;)

I've always been a fan of Michelin and Continental, both have been great tires for me with regards to ride, comfort, traction, and noise. YMMV!

It's a clever quip but I've ben satisfied with my Goodyear RSA Eagles. They're certainly not the best tires out there but I have about 30k on them without issues. I'll replace them in the spring when I switch back from snows. And the price is generally very good.

I have another set of 4 Goodyears in the basement from when I bought takeoff wheels to use for my snows and will just mount them.

Having said all that, there certainly are better tires out there and I have also have an affinity for Michelin.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
I’m in between the AS3 plus or pilot super sport. I’m located in Northern California so doesn’t get too cold with occasional rain.
Anyone know of any pros and cons?
The Pilot Sport is a summer tire. Summer tires are poor performers below 40F. The rubber gets hard and traction is poor. If you ever intend to drive away from the coast, you should get the AS3+. That's what I have and am happy with them.