Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 doesn't start (drive/reverse) - 2 videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then why would it work after opening and closing the door? (The other time I had to reset the Tesla)

I'm going to be the odd one out here... But, my hunch is the SCCM needs to be replaced and yours is defective.

With so many reports that the previous revision of the SCCM (P/N: 1097662-00-K) had an extremely high defective rate of the turn stalk (including one TMC member being told by SLC Service that they've done over 200 such SCCM replacements alone), there's a high probability that the drive stalk might be defective too... You can read how my saga ended, but again, just a hunch.

7mjunfs.jpg

EDIT: SCCM stands for "Steering Column Control Module" just in case someone thinks I'm just throwing around random acronyms. ;) It handles the turn signal stalk and drive stalk.

Last edited:
I'm going to be the odd one out here... But, my hunch is the SCCM needs to be replaced and yours is defective.

I don’t believe it’s a SCCM issue, at least with mine. I never had a problem prior to updating to 42.2, unless it just started. Logically I would think it’s a software issue.

To the OP, the phone might get us in the door but then for some reason lose the link not allowing us to drive. Have you tried the key card when the issue occurs?

I haven’t had a chance yet. No issues today yet.

I don’t believe it’s a SCCM issue, at least with mine. I never had a problem prior to updating to 42.2, unless it just started. Logically I would think it’s a software issue.

To the OP, the phone might get us in the door but then for some reason lose the link not allowing us to drive. Have you tried the key card when the issue occurs?

I haven’t had a chance yet. No issues today yet.
I didn't try the keycard as I didn't have it with me. I now carry it, but the problem hasn't happened again (yet)

It is possible the the phone key stopped working while driving to where the R/D selection failed. I think it's only required to start the car, not drive it. In that case you don't get any walk away lock, it would just stay unlocked. So now you can get back in the car without your phone key (it's unlocked), but you still can't drive the car because the phone key is disconnected.

So, are you sure the car was locked as you approached and opened the door? Did you check the Tesla app on the phone and see that it says Phone Key Connected? And still no R/D shift?

I have not had this problem with our 3, though my wife has. Her car. Her Galaxy S5 has problems as a key. My Nexus 6p has been 100% good so far. We do have the turn signal problem and will need to replace the SCCM at some point if it isn't fixed in firmware. That does cast a little suspicion on the SCCM if this turns out not to be a phone key problem.

With the X I can definitely try shifting into D well before the car is fully ready just after starting it with the brake. Nothing happens and I have to try the shift again. So it may be possible to do the same with the 3, though that's not what this thread is about.

Easiest way to test this theory is if you enter the vehicle using "phone as a key":

Variation 1. Immediately put you phone into airplane mode, hit the brake, and try to put the car in drive.
Variation 2. Hit the brake, put your phone into airplane mode, and try to put the car into drive.

Reactions: cwerdna