Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't Shift in to Reverse or Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the new trick my Model 3 has developed is that it won't shift. Assuming the phone key works, I enter the car. I put on my seat belt and step on the brake. The car starts presumably since the seat position and steering wheel move into place. Then I try to shift into gear (either forward or reverse) and the car shows it is still in park. I sat there, now on 3 occasions in the last 24 hours, for up to a minute before the car would shift. Anyone else having this issue?

I suppose it could be related but sometimes I successfully use the phone key to enter the car but when I press on the brake the car immediately asks for the card to start the car. In those instances after waiting for a while the phone key eventually works. But in those cases it is clear that the car did not start. With my new problem (shifting) the car seems to have clearly started but won't shift.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I could try that. But the car, in this case, is "running" so not sure why it would need the phone key to shift. I wonder what happens if I get in the car, start it, and then hand the phone key to someone outside the car who takes it away. Then shift the car. Would it let me shift and drive away? If not, then I think the answer is that the phone key appears to have left the car. So, perhaps trying the card scenario you suggested would also be a good method.

Since I've read there's been some issues with bluetooth connectivity, I think it would be most interesting to try and rule the phone in/out first, even if it seems unlikely to be the culprit based on what you've seen. If I were the Service Center, I would gravitate toward that, so by eliminating it (if possible), you'll focus them on something that is potentially trickier to fix. To recap, I would try to replicate the issue just with the key card, while your phone is no where near your car and vice versa. That and a few bucks will get you a cup of coffee. :)

Since I've read there's been some issues with bluetooth connectivity, I think it would be most interesting to try and rule the phone in/out first, even if it seems unlikely to be the culprit based on what you've seen.

This.

If you’ve used the phone to get it but it asks for the keycard to start then you have a Bluetooth issue. Turn off Bluetooth and then back on. As a rule of thumb reset Bluetooth after every OTA. That will eliminate the majority of phone as key issues.

You're suggesting simply turning off bluetooth on the phone while I am laying here on the couch and then turning it back on will improve the situation? I think that's what you said but not sure what that would do. The phone gets shut down every night. I'd be stoked if this works though

So, the new trick my Model 3 has developed is that it won't shift. Assuming the phone key works, I enter the car. I put on my seat belt and step on the brake. The car starts presumably since the seat position and steering wheel move into place. Then I try to shift into gear (either forward or reverse) and the car shows it is still in park. I sat there, now on 3 occasions in the last 24 hours, for up to a minute before the car would shift. Anyone else having this issue?

I suppose it could be related but sometimes I successfully use the phone key to enter the car but when I press on the brake the car immediately asks for the card to start the car. In those instances after waiting for a while the phone key eventually works. But in those cases it is clear that the car did not start. With my new problem (shifting) the car seems to have clearly started but won't shift.

This happened to me this morning. Everything seemed to be functioning normally but wouldn't shift into either gear. I did a reset of the computer (brake pedal and hold down both scroll wheels for awhile) and it worked again. I'm on 2018.16.1.

Reactions: SgtTortuga
Having the same issue. It'll let me unlock the car using my phone as a key, but then it won't shift (I don't even get a message about needing the key card, it literally just does nothing). I would think that, since it let me unlock the doors using my phone as a key, that there should be no issues allowing me to "start" the car. Tapping keycard on the center console seems to work to get things going. I've also had some luck Powering Off the vehicle via the menus and then starting it back up with the brake pedal (could just be the time here that fixes it though). I'm on 18.3 as of last Friday and I have a Pixel 2 running 8.1.

I've noticed this 2 or 3 times since my firmware updated from 14.13 to 18.3 on Tuesday (after I removed my phone key and re-paired it for phone key failures I experienced since the update). Both times I was able to open door without using my keycard, but when I tried to shift to R or D, nothing happened. The display did not ask for keycard, but when when I tapped the keycard I was immediately able to shift into R or D. Maybe just a coincidence, but try the keycard if you get this problem, even if there are no popup instructions on screen.

18.3 has definitely introduced phone key problems for me where there were none in 14.13 (on both Android Samsung S9 and iPhone 7). I want to downgrade back to 14.13...

I've noticed this 2 or 3 times since my firmware updated from 14.13 to 18.3 on Tuesday (after I removed my phone key and re-paired it for phone key failures I experienced since the update). Both times I was able to open door without using my keycard, but when I tried to shift to R or D, nothing happened. The display did not ask for keycard, but when when I tapped the keycard I was immediately able to shift into R or D. Maybe just a coincidence, but try the keycard if you get this problem, even if there are no popup instructions on screen.

Interesting. I had this happen to me once and I tried to remote start the car from the app, which didn't work (ended up having to do a full power down from the touchscreen). Hopefully it won't happen again but I'll try the keycard next time.

Same issue here, twice yesterday. Did a computer reset to fix it and have been wondering if I did something incorrect to prevent it from shifting (like not holding the brake.) Looks like a software issue here though..

I never had this issue until the last 24 hours (after recently updating to 2018.18.13), when it happened twice. Usually giving the car a few minutes allow me to finally put it into reverse or drive. Rebooting the system doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Car:
Phone: iPhone X iOS 11.4

I hit this yesterday as well on 2018.18.13, no errors or response when trying to shift to Drive. I held down both steering wheel buttons to reboot and it worked immediately after that. I freaked out a little because I was in an area with no cell service, hope this car doesn't strand me somewhere.