Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 is a Motor Trend Car of the Year finalist, but...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's good news that it's in the running, but I wonder about a couple of the assertions in the article:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-tesla-model-3-pros-and-cons-review

Will the full Autopilot not actually bring the car to a stop? I only have basic AP, and it does this perfectly...

I didn't know that the rear seat had been changed (raised) - anyone know when that update happened?

They also comment on the road noise, which continues to be my single largest complaint about the car.

Still, seeing the SR+ hit 60 mph in 5.0 seconds and do a 13.5 second 1/4 mile is pretty cool...

Interesting article, thanks for sharing the link. The final outcome should be interesting (if not bias).

"And unless you already know Autopilot won't bring the car to a stop (which most smart cruise systems do with ease nowadays), discovering that limitation while approaching a line of stopped cars can be an alarming experience."

Was the writer on drugs? Both AP and TACC do bring the car to a complete stop in traffic if there is a car in front that is slowing or stopped, I worry more about the guy in back of me stopping in time.

Last edited:
The Autopilot comment makes no sense. Of course the car comes to a complete stop if traffic warrants it. If it didn’t the car would just run into the car in front of you whenever you hit stop and go freeway traffic. It won’t stop at red lights or stop signs but that doesn’t sound like what the author is referring to.

I have no idea about the height adjustment of the rear seats but if it’s true that is the first mention of it that I have seen, which makes me a bit skeptical of whether it’s really accurate.

...I have no idea about the height adjustment of the rear seats but if it’s true that is the first mention of it that I have seen, which makes me a bit skeptical of whether it’s really accurate.

The article did mention that their original test vehicle was a pre-production prototype, so perhaps it changed before series production began...

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
It's good news that it's in the running, but I wonder about a couple of the assertions in the article:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-tesla-model-3-pros-and-cons-review

Will the full Autopilot not actually bring the car to a stop? I only have basic AP, and it does this perfectly...

Someone should let that guy know he's testing a broken car. All versions of AP (even AP1 from 2014) brings the car to a full stop when needed.

I didn't know that the rear seat had been changed (raised) - anyone know when that update happened?

Roughly May 2018

Tesla Model 3 Gets New Seats, Plus Everything Else We Know

Reactions: ZappCatt
I have struggled with excess road noise since December 2017, M3. I added acoustic absorbing panels, front and rear, Acoustic absorbing materials, front and rear, added multiple weather striping, and all helped a bit. Last week i bought two rear OEM 18" michelin tires, and discovered the original tires were defective, resulting in significant noise from the rear. My new Michelins are exactly the same model, but actually QUITE! I asked Tesla to warranty the other two original tires (I think they are aware the early tires were bad), they declined but offered free labor for other non-tire related, maintenance/service... I have not recommend a M3 to any person that was interested in a Tesla, due solely to the poor ride / noise problem. It is difficult for me to understand why Tesla was ararw of this problem, but never issued a service bulletin or tire recall...

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
I have struggled with excess road noise since December 2017, M3. I added acoustic absorbing panels, front and rear, Acoustic absorbing materials, front and rear, added multiple weather striping, and all helped a bit. Last week i bought two rear OEM 18" michelin tires, and discovered the original tires were defective, resulting in significant noise from the rear. My new Michelins are exactly the same model, but actually QUITE! I asked Tesla to warranty the other two original tires (I think they are aware the early tires were bad), they declined but offered free labor for other non-tire related, maintenance/service... I have not recommend a M3 to any person that was interested in a Tesla, due solely to the poor ride / noise problem. It is difficult for me to understand why Tesla was aware of this problem, but never issued a service bulletin or tire recall...

Unfortunately, excess road noise doesn't constitute a safety issue and that the only way a recall would be triggered. Then again, remember the recall some time back for lack of a airbag warning on the visor..

Why the Updated 2019 Tesla Model 3 is a 2020 Car of the Year Finalist - Motor Trend

They also comment on the road noise, which continues to be my single largest complaint about the car.

Still, seeing the SR+ hit 60 mph in 5.0 seconds and do a 13.5 second 1/4 mile is pretty cool...

AP has and always will bring the car to a complete stop. It only does it if something is in front of the car though, so not at traffic lights and junctions. Its never been mentioned it would do that.

The rear seats got updated pretty early , April 2018? I think you could get them upgraded for free at least for a while.

Road noise is improved in the current car apparently (from Sept 19 or so build).

Was the writer on drugs? Both AP and TACC do bring the car to a complete stop in traffic if there is a car in front that is slowing or stopped.

The Autopilot comment makes no sense. Of course the car comes to a complete stop if traffic warrants it.

Without context, the MT comment is plain wrong.
But context is everything.

Their point was that AP is inconsistent, and occasionally phantom brakes, shuts-off, or does weird things (e.g.: reacting to a car parked on the shoulder of the road). Those observations have some merit.

Why MT decided to "notice" TM3 in 2019, and not earlier, is another question altogether.

Last week i bought two rear OEM 18" michelin tires, and discovered the original tires were defective, resulting in significant noise from the rear. My new Michelins are exactly the same model, but actually QUITE!

Noisy does not mean defective!

All tires get noisier as the tread wears off.
New tires, with full thread, will be quieter, and have "softer" feel to them. Every time.

I asked Tesla to warranty the other two original tires (I think they are aware the early tires were bad), they declined

Well, that was ballsy of you.
Why not ask for new blinker fluid while you are at it?

but offered free labor for other non-tire related, maintenance/service...

That's good to know.

May be I will b*tch about tire noise the next time I need to get some non-tire related work done on my TM3.
Might knock off the cost of repairs!

Yes, full AP will bring your car to a complete stop when you are in traffic.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing the link. The final outcome should be interesting (if not bias).

"And unless you already know Autopilot won't bring the car to a stop (which most smart cruise systems do with ease nowadays), discovering that limitation while approaching a line of stopped cars can be an alarming experience."

Was the writer on drugs? Both AP and TACC do bring the car to a complete stop in traffic if there is a car in front that is slowing or stopped, I worry more about the guy in back of me stopping in time.

On past software versions, my AP would sometimes react poorly and inconsistently to stopped cars. Sometimes, it would react ok. Sometimes, it would brake too early. And sometimes, it would do nothing as if it did not see the stopped car and I would have to apply the brakes or AP would see the stopped car late and slam on the brakes. That seems to be what the author is referring to when he says "alarming experience while approaching a line of stopped cars".

However, this behavior has been fixed in the latest updates. My AP reacts perfectly now with stopped cars in traffic. So I think this might be a case of the author not doing his/her research properly and writing an article based on old information.