Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog TMC Member Offers a Review From Behind the Wheel of a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]TMC Member Joseph Torbati has had fortunate access to at least two Model 3s at his Fremont, Calif. detailing shop. He’s been reviewing the cars in a series of videos and his latest offers thoughts on the driving experience.

Torbati says the car feels powerful, quick like other Tesla models. He likes the stiffness of the suspension and the steering wheel responsiveness in sports mode.

Torbati also offers his opinion of the overall feel in the cabin – placement of the center screen, steering wheel controls, and use of features like cruise control.

Check out the full video below.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX6_UViEpOg” video_title=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
Calvin loves the video

91089907-FE7E-4CA6-9F60-65472896D321.jpeg

Interesting that when he asks himself, "Which car would I buy?" he compares the 3 to Leaf and Bolt (and chooses the Tesla, of course). Not sure many of us would have put those three cars in the same category before. I didn't.
Robin

In that video, either the driver did not know the correct way to engage TACC and EAP or the car he was driving did not have the EAP option and therefore did not have TACC. The driver did not appear to know that every Tesla, (3, S, X) is built with the EAP hardware but that the firmware is an option.

He said in the video that the way to engage TACC/EAP in the 3 is a "double tap down" on the gear lever which he said is like the S. But that is not correct. On the S/X you do a quick double pull towards you to engage EAP, or a single pull towards you to engage TACC (and on a stalk on the left side of course, not the gear lever on the right side).

As far as I know, Model 3 owners who paid for EAP get the firmware now. Or has it not yet been released for the 3? If that is the case, my apologies, I missed that piece of information.

Reactions: UZJedi
In that video, either the driver did not know the correct way to engage TACC and EAP or the car he was driving did not have the EAP option and therefore did not have TACC. The driver did not appear to know that every Tesla, (3, S, X) is built with the EAP hardware but that the firmware is an option.

He said in the video that the way to engage TACC/EAP in the 3 is a "double tap down" on the gear lever which he said is like the S. But that is not correct. On the S/X you do a quick double pull towards you to engage EAP, or a single pull towards you to engage TACC (and on a stalk on the left side of course, not the gear lever on the right side).

As far as I know, Model 3 owners who paid for EAP get the firmware now. Or has it not yet been released for the 3? If that is the case, my apologies, I missed that piece of information.

EAP is definitely available for the 3, probably the owner didn't purchase it. Either that, or I believe you have to drive a certain number of miles before EAP activates.

EAP is definitely available for the 3, probably the owner didn't purchase it. Either that, or I believe you have to drive a certain number of miles before EAP activates.
Since the owner was supposedly in the car filming that video, one would think he would have told Joseph Torbati if he had not purchased it.

I think your second idea is likely correct: if the car had only a few dozen miles on it then EAP and TACC wouldn't be operational yet. When I got my X this year, the DS told me it would take 100 to 150 miles before "the cameras would calibrate" and things would start working (though TACC doesn't use any cameras). In fact they started working in my car in less than 60 miles, if I recall correctly.

This is not a review. It is not labeled as such and does not meet the criteria for a review. Misleading thread title here.
The use of the word "review" in this context is hardly precise. The video is of a guy driving a Model 3 and giving his opinion. Given the paucity of videos showing someone driving the 3 and talking about it, I welcome his contribution.

steering wheel and interior look seriously cheap in that vid. I hope that impression doesn`t survive first hand experience :/
I agree. The interior is not Mercedes or Audi standard for the same money but it's ok. However the steering wheel is a completely different story. My wife said it looks cheap it's like the one in your van. I said your right. It's because the spokes are made of cheap plastic (not polished metal for example) and have no contrast. The steering wheel is the same quality cheapness you find in a $15000 car or a van. I think they wanted to do the space steering wheel but then in last moment decided not and got a cheap Chinese steering wheel In a hurry. My new big concern is the turning cycle he said it was bad. This is a big problem because I do not want to hear my wife telling me that she does not want to turn the truck around. i also didn't like the bad reverse camera pic quality. If you have a big screen you could really make reversing awesome with a good camera. On the good side though he said the handling is nimble which is great. On a different note I don't like when he compared the car to the bolt or Nissan Leaf as they are completely diffent class cars. Just because they are also Bev doesn't mean they are in the same category. The model 3 is c class or bmw 3 series category and should be compared to those cars. I'm still getting the model 3 but the more I see the model 3 the more my expectations of this great car are getting shattered. I do feel like Tesla is taking advantage of the half a million order bank and have reviewed every cent on this car to maximise profits.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Runt8
I agree. The interior is not Mercedes or Audi standard for the same money but it's ok.

Hilarious when we see this sort of comments. The Model 3 interior is in a totally different league IMO, Tesla is not trying to copy losers. Just wait till you get your car, experience it and then report back on your own overall experience. Not what others say or speculate.

Hilarious when we see this sort of comments. The Model 3 interior is in a totally different league IMO, Tesla is not trying to copy losers. Just wait till you get your car, experience it and then report back on your own overall experience. Not what others say or speculate.
Mercedes and Audi are no losers in there game. Nor during a great interior has anything to do with copying them. It has more to do being able to be on there high level. Once the press gets hold of the car you might be right they will praise the car in some areas but certain interior finishes like the steering wheel will be not 1 of them I bet. Also when you say it's in a totally different league. What do you mean? The interior finish is in a much higher league or in a lower league than Audi or Merc? also why is it funny when some body says its not Audi or Mercedes quality? Also there is nothing wrong being model 3 brain washed specially because it's a Bev good for the planet. Also again, I want Tesla to be able to make better cars than the Germans so they get there ass moving faster towards BEVs. However I still want to be real because true and trustworthy criticism improves proplems.

Last edited:
@AUSinator my suggestion is that you suspend judgement on the quality of the Model 3 interior until you have the opportunity to sit in one, feel it, and experience it directly with your own eyes. Which I realize probably won't be for at least another year, depending on where you are located in Australia.

I've seen a Model 3 interior up close but haven't sat in it. Looks beautiful to me but I'm not going to comment on details I have not experienced like the feel of the steering wheel.

Regarding your comment about the Model 3 steering wheel looking cheap because the spokes are plastic and not "polished metal", note that the S/X steering wheel spokes are not "polished metal" either.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and Runt8
@AUSinator my suggestion is that you suspend judgement on the quality of the Model 3 interior until you have the opportunity to sit in one, feel it, and experience it directly with your own eyes. Which I realize probably won't be for at least another year, depending on where you are located in Australia.

I've seen a Model 3 interior up close but haven't sat in it. Looks beautiful to me but I'm not going to comment on details I have not experienced like the feel of the steering wheel.

Regarding your comment about the Model 3 steering wheel looking cheap because the spokes are plastic and not "polished metal", note that the S/X steering wheel spokes are not "polished metal" either.
That means there is probably not a big manufacturing cost difference. Yet the model x and s steering wheel is nicer and looks more original Instead the model 3 looks more like a after market Chinese steering wheel. :( hopefully they change it before it comes to Aus.

Mercedes and Audi are no losers in there game.
The ICE game is over and they lost. If you want an EV with a Mercedes or Audi interior, wait 5+ years for them to produce a "Model 3 killer" that will be priced at USD 80K+ for base model without a SuperCharger network.

I like the simplicity of the model 3 interior because it doesn't follow the pack of dinosaurs and at $35K, you can't beat the price for a comparable EV. I'll take two please.