Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog TMC Member Offers a Review From Behind the Wheel of a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]TMC Member Joseph Torbati has had fortunate access to at least two Model 3s at his Fremont, Calif. detailing shop. He’s been reviewing the cars in a series of videos and his latest offers thoughts on the driving experience.

Torbati says the car feels powerful, quick like other Tesla models. He likes the stiffness of the suspension and the steering wheel responsiveness in sports mode.

Torbati also offers his opinion of the overall feel in the cabin – placement of the center screen, steering wheel controls, and use of features like cruise control.

Check out the full video below.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX6_UViEpOg” video_title=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on this video, I’m more disappointed in the interior on two dimensions:

1) the steering wheel doesn’t look great; and

2) for some reason the lack of an instrument cluster bothered me more than previous times seeing video of the interior. Seems like the one screen got crowded at times and the map got buried (and didn’t resize).

I’m hoping we get more “reviews” / impressions soon. Would be great to see one in person.

Mercedes and Audi are not losers in their game...
They kind of are. With the exception of BMW, the Germans have been hemming and hawing, playing a delay game while they display EV concepts that are more PR-driven than engineering exercises (the Germans have always been excellent model builders). You get the idea they're putting in a minimal effort while waiting for the world to come back to its senses and buy diesels and gasoline cars again. They'll be waiting a while.
But I do think their cars are nicer to be in than Tesla's cars. That was true for the S, the X and it's really true for the 3 (where the interior seems to shoot right by Nordic Minimalism straight to Airport Lounge territory). As I've said before, the interior looks like a hair shirt "people mover" sort of place where you grudgingly spend time (because you have to) while the machine takes you someplace.
Tesla got the exterior of the Model 3 right, though.
Robin

The ICE game is over and they lost. If you want an EV with a Mercedes or Audi interior, wait 5+ years for them to produce a "Model 3 killer" that will be priced at USD 80K+ for base model without a SuperCharger network.

I like the simplicity of the model 3 interior because it doesn't follow the pack of dinosaurs and at $35K, you can't beat the price for a comparable EV. I'll take two please.
@Phrixotrichus , you gave me a 'disagree" on this post. Talk to me, what are you disagreeing with, maybe I can learn something.

...it's really true for the 3 (where the interior seems to shoot right by Nordic Minimalism straight to Airport Lounge territory). As I've said before, the interior looks like a hair shirt "people mover" sort of place where you grudgingly spend time (because you have to) while the machine takes you someplace.
I hope that when you actually get to sit in a Model 3 and drive it for awhile you will post about your experience.

So far based on what I have read from people who have been in the car and driven it, they seem to enjoy their time in the drivers seat and don't feel like it is a "hair shirt" sort of ordeal.

As I've said before, the interior looks like a hair shirt "people mover" sort of place where you grudgingly spend time (because you have to) while the machine takes you someplace.

You sound a lot like Blackberry -- "no one wants a phone without a keyboard". I thought the same thing looking at the iPhone when it first came out, and comparing it to my Blackberry, as did a lot of others. Then we used it and the rest is history. That's why they say you can't judge a book by its cover for a lot of things other than books.

I hope that when you actually get to sit in a Model 3 and drive it for awhile you will post about your experience.

So far based on what I have read from people who have been in the car and driven it, they seem to enjoy their time in the drivers seat and don't feel like it is a "hair shirt" sort of ordeal.
Good points. Some people will love it, some will hate it, some will accept the minuses to get the plusses. I definitely don't love some of the design features of this car. I might be willing to live with them or not. I haven't cancelled yet. As you suggest, getting in one and driving it will tell all very, very quickly.
One thing I really do love about it is this: even if the car is a flop, it has spurred the whole industry into getting serious about EV's, and that's terrific.
Robin

One thing I really do love about it is this: even if the car is a flop, it has spurred the whole industry into getting serious about EV's, and that's terrific.
Yes, I agree, TESLA has dragged the auto industry, kicking and screaming, into the EV future. Here is the problem: EM is embracing the EV concept because he believes in it; the heritage auto mfg are doing it to make a buck or protect their market position. They would really prefer to stay in the ICE age, despite damage to the environment, because they are too lazy to think and work for a better future for their children.

They would really prefer to stay in the ICE age, despite damage to the environment, because they are too lazy to think and work for a better future for their children.

It's not laziness. The auto industry is big business. With big business, like politics, if you want to know why things are being done that do not appear to make sense just follow the money. Tesla have given even more reason for pushback with no dealers or independent service stations. Think of what the GM service station manager thinks after he does an oil and brake change then sees all the Teslas on the road with a ton more to follow. Do you think the Sales Manager in the office is gong to try to sell the Bolt? The auto industry was fine with EVs as long they are a niche market that doesn't threaten them. That's why the Leaf, i3 and Bolt all look so dorky, at least in my view. If you want a nice looking EV it's the i8 or Tesla. That's all changing with the Model 3.

A lot of people see the "better future for their children" as keeping their jobs, so they can put food on the table for their children. But like the horse buggy makers of the past, and the coal miners of today, progress marches on, and some people have to be forced to change with the times or they keep us all in the past. Fortunately, Tesla is the force of progress in the auto industry. But I'm not convinced Tesla is out the woods yet. I'm very hopeful but seeing is believing for me and we're at make or break time, with a lot of people hoping Tesla fails and relishing in its possible failure... Behind Tesla’s Production Delays: Parts of Model 3 Were Being Made by Hand

It's not laziness. The auto industry is big business. With big business, like politics, if you want to know why things are being done that do not appear to make sense just follow the money. Tesla have given even more reason for pushback with no dealers or independent service stations. Think of what the GM service station manager thinks after he does an oil and brake change then sees all the Teslas on the road with a ton more to follow. Do you think the Sales Manager in the office is gong to try to sell the Bolt?

What a load of cobblers.
The auto industry has always moved to less servicing and more reliable cars.
Fuel injection, electronic ignition.
Platinum/iridium spark plugs.
Long life coolants and lubricants, moves from timing belts to timing chains. Etc.

Some of you need to lay off the Tesla kool-aid/conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
What a load of cobblers. The auto industry has always moved to less servicing and more reliable cars. Fuel injection, electronic ignition. Platinum/iridium spark plugs.Long life coolants and lubricants, moves from timing belts to timing chains. Etc. Some of you need to lay off the Tesla kool-aid/conspiracy theories.

So I need to show the ICE hasn't been refined since its introduction or I'm a cool aid drinkikng conspiracy theorist?

It's actually quite sad to see where our level of argument has devolved to these days - conspiracy theories and cool aid -- yet I bet I've criticized Tesla here far more than you have. And from a Kiwi too? I've been there heaps (Kiwi term for lots) and I'm going there next month since that is where my wife is from.

Your post is actually quite funny because practically everything you mention, except coolants, are not required in an EV. Four years and over 80k in my vehicle and I've never need to rely on this generation of "Fuel injection, electronic ignition. Platinum/iridium spark plugs". Good thing you're very happy with them though. I have different, more toxic, view of them than you.

Fact: The auto industry is slow to get away from these very things you mention.
Conspiracy? Of course not. Again, just follow the money. No conspiracy needed.

Reactions: EinSV
...the more I see the model 3 the more my expectations of this great car are getting shattered. I do feel like Tesla is taking advantage of the half a million order bank and have reviewed every cent on this car to maximise profits.

The more I hear of people thinking they should get a Mercedes quality car for half price, the more I shake my head. Listen, folks, it's the power train and the battery that make this expensive. Tesla is trying to cut a few frills on their half-priced car so they can give you range and power. It was never meant to be the flagship. It was meant to be the poor half-priced cousin. Oh, and they need to make a profit in there somewhere, or they'd be out of business. If anyone wants a Mercedes steering wheel, well... buy a Mercedes. But it ain't gonna be no Tesla.

The more I hear of people thinking they should get a Mercedes quality car for half price, the more I shake my head. Listen, folks, it's the power train and the battery that make this expensive. Tesla is trying to cut a few frills on their half-priced car so they can give you range and power. It was never meant to be the flagship. It was meant to be the poor half-priced cousin. Oh, and they need to make a profit in there somewhere, or they'd be out of business. If anyone wants a Mercedes steering wheel, well... buy a Mercedes. But it ain't gonna be no Tesla.

Don't disagree entirely but Tesla did say it would compare to the BMW 3 series and Audi A4... I'm inferring that was on multiple dimensions (size, driving experience and interior quality). They have also mentioned that they could do this as battery prices came down.
Definitely want them to make money... and I'm willing to give it to them! Just want a reasonably nice interior (btw, the current 3-series isn't a high end interior, IMO).

@Phrixotrichus , you gave me a 'disagree" on this post. Talk to me, what are you disagreeing with, maybe I can learn something.
Sigh...as you wish...

The ICE game is over and they lost.
ICEs will be around for at least another 15-20 years, and if and when EVs will actually become the majority in the car world is not even foreseeable. Right now they are in the 1% range, and the situation with the infrastructure and the Batteries concerning their production and the needed resources when EVs actually become a bit more mainstream is all but certain.
Even the ICE bans that some countries proposed have more holes than a swiss cheese when you look at them.
All In all your sentence lacks any relation to reality, hence I disagree.

If you want an EV with a Mercedes or Audi interior, wait 5+ years for them to produce a "Model 3 killer" that will be priced at USD 80K+ for base model without a SuperCharger network.
Remains to be seen. The model roadmaps of the other manufacturers say otherwise and you`re taking everything Elon promised concerning his production and infrastructure plans as granted here even though history has disproven him time and time again, hence I disagree.

at $35K, you can't beat the price for a comparable EV. I'll take two please.
Except that it isn`t 35k anywhere in the world, not even the US, because there`s still taxes, shipping, customs etc etc etc. and EV-incentives aren`t something that will be around for much longer, hence I disagree,

Simply put, you`re a complete enthusiast and ignore the real situation at hand as well as recent history, hence I disagree.

Last edited:
Don't disagree entirely but Tesla did say it would compare to the BMW 3 series and Audi A4... I'm inferring that was on multiple dimensions (size, driving experience and interior quality). They have also mentioned that they could do this as battery prices came down.
Definitely want them to make money... and I'm willing to give it to them! Just want a reasonably nice interior (btw, the current 3-series isn't a high end interior, IMO).

You're quite right on all counts. Elon and other Tesla executives have repeatedly stated that their competition is BMW/Mercedes/Audi and other luxury manufacturers.

Interior quality have always been Tesla's weak point although on the S/X they've made improvements in this area over the last couple of years.

When I leased my current car I checked out the interior on the new Mercedes C class, the BMW 3 series and the Audi S4. The Audi/Mercedes are in another league from Tesla on interior quality in their 35-50,000 priced cars. The leather is nicer, with better stitching, the soft touch materials on the dash, etc., are nicer, and there are a lot of subtle touches like polished steel accents.

The BMW is no slouch though, the one I am driving has a very nice interior. saddle brown leather, soft touch dash and console materials, brushed chrome accents. It's a good lucking car and I've received lots of compliments.

The Tesla 3 looks very minimalist and not just with the deletion of the instrument cluster. The shiny plastic center stack just looks tacky and seems designed to offset the open pore wood slab down the dash board.

You can only tell so much from pictures though and ultimately the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I'm eagerly looking forward to when you can actually touch this car and sit in it. I'm also hoping that as time goes on Tesla will offer additional interior options that might make the cabin a little less spartan looking.

When I leased my current car I checked out the interior on the new Mercedes C class, the BMW 3 series and the Audi S4. The Audi/Mercedes are in another league from Tesla on interior quality in their 35-50,000 priced cars. The leather is nicer, with better stitching, the soft touch materials on the dash, etc., are nicer, and there are a lot of subtle touches like polished steel accents.
ooooooooooooh, stainless steel accents to boot, sounds great, but what kind of range do you get with their batteries? I bet that stitching, soft touch materials, and stainless steel adds at least 10% to the range!

The BMW is no slouch though, the one I am driving has a very nice interior. saddle brown leather, soft touch dash and console materials, brushed chrome accents. It's a good lucking car and I've received lots of compliments.
Sounds great if you need compliments to make your life complete, but what kind of range do you get with the battery?

Let's put it this way, all TESLA EV products are overpriced when comparing interior finish to ICE age vehicles. But for that overpriced EV you are getting cutting edge technology, assisting a fledgling car company to drag us into the future world, and taking positive steps to leave this earth a better place than we inherited. Yes, the Model 3 is overpriced in terms of traditional last century standards by people who don't get it....................I'll take two please.