Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To fix door alignment or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is a 4-5 mm misalignment of my fwd. service says it will take 2 weeks to fix given the complexity.

Have people had positive experiences with door alignments? Do they do a good job? Do they end up breaking other stuff?

Thanks

Have people had positive experiences with door alignments? Do they do a good job? Do they end up breaking other stuff?
Most likely you will get new issues with the old one kind of fixed but not 100% fixed.

Is the misalignment affecting mechanical operation of the door?

I've taken my previous X for a bumper adjustment and after trying they told me while they were able to adjust the gap but the gap on the other side ended up being wider. Yes, Tesla quality.

Our fwd is miss aligned , complained at delivery, they adjusted, looked same to me. Now just live with it , car has been perfect for almost 2 years, slight miss alignment doesn’t bother me, so I stopped complaining. If the door rubbed away paint because of the issue, I would have persisted.!

there is a 4-5 mm misalignment of my fwd. service says it will take 2 weeks to fix given the complexity.

Thanks

4-5 mm is a huge amount! Is it really that much out? Anyway one of my FWDs was sitting a couple of mm proud at the shut line with the front door (stood out like a sore thumb when looking down the side) and I lived with it until the first annual service and then had it adjusted at that point. It's still not perfect, but better. Now I'd say it's sticking about 1 mm out, lol! Still quite noticeable, so I might mention it again next time it's in for service.

P.S. I've checked a load of other Model X cars and they nearly all have this issue to some degree. Mine was worse than average before the adjustment and is now probably average or better. One side is perfect, the other still a mm or so out.

I just did this. Took it to a body shop as the fwd’s were up half inch or more on both doors and front and back.

Tesla said they are within spec. So I had to go it alone. 2 hours later the doors are 100% perfectly aligned. Incredible job. $300.

Did I remember to take “before” pics? No. Why? Because I’m an idiot.

• Funny
Reactions: NoSoup4U!
Tesla said they are within spec. So I had to go it alone. 2 hours later the doors are 100% perfectly aligned. Incredible job. $300.

This is one of their biggest scams ever, 'it's within spec.' No it is not you dumb tesla temp now go get a supervisor to fix my car.

They tried to pull this crap on bad body alignment on my X, condensation in the lights, and bad wheel alignment and subsequent premature tire wear on my S.

I can't believe you had to go to an outside body shop to fix their sh!tty car building. Smh.

In my decades of new vehicle ownership, I’ve learned far too many times that trying to address cosmetic issues like this turns into a frustratingly endless cycle of service visits, with at least one new problem being created for each one that’s fixed.

If you can live with it and it’s functioning properly, I’d probably leave it alone.

In my decades of new vehicle ownership, I’ve learned far too many times that trying to address cosmetic issues like this turns into a frustratingly endless cycle of service visits, with at least one new problem being created for each one that’s fixed.

If you can live with it and it’s functioning properly, I’d probably leave it alone.
Good point. But I believe the body shop did it right where they tested water penetration etc. I’ll know next massive downpour if it’s right. If anyone lives in SE PA then I have a great body shop to recommend. They did my 3 as well when the door got smack into garage. They realigned it back to normal.