Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To FSD or not FSD….that is the question…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You seem to asking for the SAE to become a version Consumer Reports that caters to your personal preferences.
No, I'm asking people like you to stop with the SAE absolutism when others want to discuss what makes vehicle autonomy valuable. You say that the "SAE taxonomy is not a ranking system" but then you insist on arguing on the internet as if it is when people like me tell you that FSD is wildly more capable right now, in our actual cars, than any traffic jam toy in the rest of the industry.

I'll pay $10k to get access to FSD (even in beta form), and did. Traffic jam nonsense doesn't excite me. No response to that fact should ever invoke SAE autonomy levels. They aren't relevant.

Reactions: Terminator857
No, I'm asking people like you to stop with the SAE absolutism when others want to discuss what makes vehicle autonomy valuable. You say that the "SAE taxonomy is not a ranking system" but then you insist on arguing on the internet as if it is when people like me tell you that FSD is wildly more capable right now, in our actual cars, than any traffic jam toy in the rest of the industry.

I'll pay $10k to get access to FSD (even in beta form), and did. Traffic jam nonsense doesn't excite me. No response to that fact should ever invoke SAE autonomy levels. They aren't relevant.
That's just my personal bias, I think that the driverless (or "eyes off" in the case of L3) operation is the most valuable form of vehicle automation. I also think it's a much more difficult engineering challenge than making a prototype self-driving car that works 99% of the time (which is what I think FSD Beta is). I have no problem with people who value other things.

But there's equally a "HUGE" difference between a car that can reliably navigate across 20 miles of suburbs without intervention and one that lets you troll people on twitter if you happen to get stuck in traffic on one of the dozen or so blessed highways.
A system that occasionally tries to drive you into bridge pillars or oncoming traffic is not reliable.
The former is worth $10k to me, the latter is just a dumb stunt.

Personally, I would gladly forget about what Tesla calls FSD in favor of an L3 version of the current Autopilot that would reliably handle long highway drives while letting me read or watch a movie or something, ideally without phantom braking for shadows on the road.

A system that occasionally tries to drive you into bridge pillars or oncoming traffic is not reliable.

I said "valuable". And I can't think of a more exciting bit of technology available today, I paid for it and love it.

Personally, I would gladly forget about what Tesla calls FSD in favor of an L3 version of the current Autopilot that would reliably handle long highway drives while letting me read or watch a movie or something, ideally without phantom braking for shadows on the road.
No one sells anything like that. I suspect you've been hoodwinked by the traffic jam peddlers into thinking their system does more than it can. And that's exactly the problem with nonsense like "LeVeLll ThReeeee" instead of focused discussion of actual capabilities.

Also... please make real criticism and don't cite memes as arguments. In fact the product, still in beta, is improving rapidly. (vs. your fantasy system that literally doesn't exist anywhere and likely won't, at least until Tesla ships a superset).

I said "valuable". And I can't think of a more exciting bit of technology available today, I paid for it and love it.
You said "reliably navigate". It's nowhere near what I would call reliable.

No one sells anything like that. I suspect you've been hoodwinked by the traffic jam peddlers into thinking their system does more than it can. And that's exactly the problem with nonsense like "LeVeLll ThReeeee" instead of focused discussion of actual capabilities.
If Tesla can't even do limited highway driving without constant supervision, what makes you think they can do it for more complex scenarios like city driving?

Also... please make real criticism and don't cite memes as arguments. In fact the product, still in beta, is improving rapidly. (vs. your fantasy system that literally doesn't exist anywhere and likely won't, at least until Tesla ships a superset).
"My fantasy system"? I have no idea what you are talking about.

I have actually ridden in level 4 autonomous vehicles, and Tesla isn't close, despite years of promises to the contrary. If anybody is being "hoodwinked" I suspect it is you.