Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another happy MCU1 to MCU2 customer! I had the FSD computer upgrade, and that really screwed up the MCU1. Summons stopped working, as did voice commands. But now it's awesome again! Like others have said, feels like a new car!

Fun fact! The display and seemingly even autopilot/FSD is better with the MCU2 compared with the MCU1. You can see all the cones now, and again, seems to drive better as well. So for those who have the new FSD computer but only MCU1, the upgrade adds more than just speed.

Yes, congratulations. Glad to hear you are happy with it. Its just amazing the differences in the same car after replacing MCU1 with MCU2. Wow.

But as for visualizations? Ya ain't seen nuthin' yet. Wait until you get the FSD Beta. My friend has it. First day she got it, we went for a ride in your '16 X. You are impressed with seeing cones? FSD Beta sees everything. Lights, bicycles, trash cans along the roadside, people, cars ready to pull forward. We were getting ready to turn left off the highway across a busy lane. We drove up and she turned on the left turn signal. The X stopped on its own, then sat there and waited and waited for a break in traffic. Actually, it was too cautious. It could have made the turn several times, but as soon as it saw oncoming about 200-300 feet ahead, it would not go on its own. Quite impressive.

Its funny (yeah, funny ha ha,) how many people were shy about getting MCU2 for the past year. Then and especially now (and makes sense now) they get it since its $1500. But they all seem equally shocked how darn good it is. To me, its as if they didn't believe anyone that it could be this good. Now that they have it, they applaud it and explain how good to help others. And those folks won't believe it until they get it themselves. Yeah funny ha-ha. :)

Yes, congratulations. Glad to hear you are happy with it. Its just amazing the differences in the same car after replacing MCU1 with MCU2. Wow.

But as for visualizations? Ya ain't seen nuthin' yet. Wait until you get the FSD Beta. My friend has it. First day she got it, we went for a ride in your '16 X. You are impressed with seeing cones? FSD Beta sees everything. Lights, bicycles, trash cans along the roadside, people, cars ready to pull forward. We were getting ready to turn left off the highway across a busy lane. We drove up and she turned on the left turn signal. The X stopped on its own, then sat there and waited and waited for a break in traffic. Actually, it was too cautious. It could have made the turn several times, but as soon as it saw oncoming about 200-300 feet ahead, it would not go on its own. Quite impressive.

Its funny (yeah, funny ha ha,) how many people were shy about getting MCU2 for the past year. Then and especially now (and makes sense now) they get it since its $1500. But they all seem equally shocked how darn good it is. To me, its as if they didn't believe anyone that it could be this good. Now that they have it, they applaud it and explain how good to help others. And those folks won't believe it until they get it themselves. Yeah funny ha-ha. :)

Interesting. How do you think Tesla plans to deal with us stubborn MCU1/FSD owners?

I would agree with that if we could have KEPT V8 and not be crippled by being disconnected from the service. My MCU1 is still fast and responsive because it isn't crippled by V9 or worse....V10. But I'm disconnected from the service and Tesla won't even work on my car without updating to the current software.

I have a the "Battery Needs Service" message which in my case is error 159 WOT count exceeds 2500 times. This is an 85 Ludicrous only battery error that used to result in Tesla replacing the battery...typically with a V3 90...but they eventually decided the batteries were OK after 2500 WOT count and disabled the error in software. So now I have this error that Tesla says I can only fix by updating to the current firmware.

But I've seen what V10 does to MCU1. It's not pretty. Looking at the youtube videos of V9 and then V10 makes me realized how "boiled frog" MCU1 owners were because the MCU1 just got slower and slower with each new update. My MCU1 with V8 is still snappy and fast but I'm cut off from supercharger status and app access which is kind of a big deal.

I look at the $1500 as a ransom to at least get these things back and not have a crippled experience....even though I still detest the new UI.

Looking at the videos, MCU2 UI responsiveness is about the same as MCU1 with V8 except maps where they are way faster than MCU1 even with V8.

I also think that you don't have to choose between the upgrade and selling your car. I think if you do the upgrade and then decide to sell the car, that it's worth the $1500 on resale already.
All agreed except for the resale value. Take your car to a dealer and ask for trade-in value, then tell them you'll replace the MCU with MCU2 and see if they up the trade-in by $1,500 o $2,000. I seriously doubt it. Even a private buyer doesn't car, since they can always replace the MCU for $1,500, so most would probably opt for "let me try the MCU1, then if I don't like it I'll get MCU2" rather than "I will pay you up front for the upgrade". So for dealer trade-in, MCU2 is worth nothing (does not show up in average selling price of the car on which the trade-ins are based on), and to a private buyer, perhaps $500? It's like a kitchen remodel, $75K worth or remodel adds $20K to the price of the house, unless you find that one person who wants exactly what you did, then it's $50K.

Reactions: 20165MS
All agreed except for the resale value. Take your car to a dealer and ask for trade-in value, then tell them you'll replace the MCU with MCU2 and see if they up the trade-in by $1,500 o $2,000. I seriously doubt it. Even a private buyer doesn't car, since they can always replace the MCU for $1,500, so most would probably opt for "let me try the MCU1, then if I don't like it I'll get MCU2" rather than "I will pay you up front for the upgrade". So for dealer trade-in, MCU2 is worth nothing (does not show up in average selling price of the car on which the trade-ins are based on), and to a private buyer, perhaps $500? It's like a kitchen remodel, $75K worth or remodel adds $20K to the price of the house, unless you find that one person who wants exactly what you did, then it's $50K.
There's different types of buyers. Many see that newly remodeled kitchen as time and frustration they don't have to contend with by buying a fixer-upper. Personally, I'd rather take the cheaper house and upgrade how I want it on my timeline but, as I age, my tolerance for these things wanes. I've seen both types of buyers and have enough data that I would never assume to know which type there are more of.

Reactions: sorka
My IC bubble has is now covering about a 1/4 of the entire screen. When I scheduled the MCU2 upgrade I didn't even know at the time it includes a new IC :)

Why do you think it includes a new IC? From where did that information come? I just had MCU1 replaced due to repeated failures and major bubble issues. No one mentioned a new IC. HOWEVER, as I noted in a previous post the information sent to the IC uses different fonts, formats, and symbols. At least that's what I believe to be the case. Maybe they did install a new IC.

Why do you think it includes a new IC? From where did that information come?

I think it's pretty widely acknowledged that on MCU 1, the ICU is an independant computer, while on MCU 2 it's run by the main MCU. As a result the upgrade from MCU 1 to MCU 2 requires the IC to be replaced as well as the MCU.

Just picked up my car this AM. Was really on the fence about spending $2K for the upgrade (and new tuner), even at the reduced price, since I have a 2015 with AP1 and I will only get a few new features, along with UI speed. Screen is definitely better - more contrast and blacker blacks, as others have mentioned. UI speed is great. Browser actually works for the first time since I bought this car 3 years ago. And some fun new toys. So I'm good with the cost, but also understand others who feel fine rolling with MCU 1.

I think it's pretty widely acknowledged that on MCU 1, the ICU is an independant computer, while on MCU 2 it's run by the main MCU. As a result the upgrade from MCU 1 to MCU 2 requires the IC to be replaced as well as the MCU.

While what you say may be true, there is nothing on my invoice to indicate replacement of the IC. There is only an upgrade to INTEL MCU2 and necessary wiring harness.

Nevertheless, the old way was how it was described in the manual when I got my car and it continued to work for quite some time. Until it didn't, with no notice as to why.

The press and hold while you talk method STOPPED working for everyone with 7.1. Took me a while to get used to it but I eventually did otherwise I would have just kept using the press and hold method had it continued to work.

Most private buyers aren't going to know in advance that they can upgrade to MCU2. All they're going to care about is what features it has now when it's being sold. Even for buyers that know, most aren't going to want to go through the hassle to upgrade. Also, this is Tesla, they could raise the price again or more likely just stop offering the upgrade after the whole Tegra recall mess is done.

For me, I'd gladly pay the upgrade price in resale or even more if I was looking for an older Tesla. I'd prefer to get one that has already gone through the hassle of doing the upgrade.

Why do you think it includes a new IC? From where did that information come? I just had MCU1 replaced due to repeated failures and major bubble issues. No one mentioned a new IC. HOWEVER, as I noted in a previous post the information sent to the IC uses different fonts, formats, and symbols. At least that's what I believe to be the case. Maybe they did install a new IC.

I guess you missed it in EVERY thread. Mentioned dozens of times. Various checklist postings also saying to make sure they didn't leave the protective film on the new IC or comparisons to the visual quality of the old vs new IC.....etc...etc.

I guess you missed it in EVERY thread. Mentioned dozens of times. Various checklist postings also saying to make sure they didn't leave the protective film on the new IC or comparisons to the visual quality of the old vs new IC.....etc...etc.

This is the only thread I've followed on the upgrade. So, I obviously missed all those references . As I pointed out to someone else, I don't deny it happened (happens?) but to EVERY configuration? I don't have FSD but some cars with MCU1 do (at least that'w what I understood). Hence, my question. I just go by what's on my service invoice. I know not everything gets put on there but the IC is a pretty big item to gloss over isn't it?

Reactions: sorka
This is the only thread I've followed on the upgrade. So, I obviously missed all those references . As I pointed out to someone else, I don't deny it happened (happens?) but to EVERY configuration? I don't have FSD but some cars with MCU1 do (at least that'w what I understood). Hence, my question. I just go by what's on my service invoice. I know not everything gets put on there but the IC is a pretty big item to gloss over isn't it?

Interesting points!

Has anyone who's gotten the new IC also have AP1?

I had/have the NVX sub and accompanying amp in my 2017 S with base audio. Service Center never said a word about had/had any issue during the upgrade. MCU2 and Sub/amp all worked/work fine.

I was less lucky.. upgraded today, nothing was mentioned when I picked it up but the first thing I noticed was the sub not working. Went back to the Service center, they said they didn't even notice it, but with the MCU replacement the default amp was also replaced; therefore the sub signal needs to be reconnected somehow - which Tesla won't do for aftermarket upgrades, I'll need to go back to the installation company to see what they can do.

A bit disappointed since it was in fact a Tesla sales rep who recommended me back in 2017 to get an aftermarket audio upgrade (the Tesla audio upgrade was EUR 5.5k back then and included other things I wasn't interested in).

Other than that, happy with the upgrade, it's nice to have a workable MCU again instead of a slow laggy screen in a modern car like the S!

Reactions: Akikiki
I was less lucky.. upgraded today, nothing was mentioned when I picked it up but the first thing I noticed was the sub not working. Went back to the Service center, they said they didn't even notice it, but with the MCU replacement the default amp was also replaced; therefore the sub signal needs to be reconnected somehow - which Tesla won't do for aftermarket upgrades, I'll need to go back to the installation company to see what they can do.

When you upgraded your sound, the company didn't just keep the original cable all the way back to the factory amp? Did the replace the factory amp? If not, then Tesla still has to hook up the original lines. Why would they even need to know you upgraded the sub?

...or is it that you didn't have sub before and they added one? How'd they get the line level for it?

Just picked up my car this AM. Was really on the fence about spending $2K for the upgrade (and new tuner), even at the reduced price, since I have a 2015 with AP1 and I will only get a few new features, along with UI speed. Screen is definitely better - more contrast and blacker blacks, as others have mentioned. UI speed is great. Browser actually works for the first time since I bought this car 3 years ago. And some fun new toys. So I'm good with the cost, but also understand others who feel fine rolling with MCU 1.

So did they replace your IC too? Since you have AP1 this would be confirmation that there isn't some older configuration where they keep IC1.