Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Wrap or not wrap your Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like several receivers of X's have opted to wrap their cars in numerous aftermarket paint/finish protectors while others say it is totally unnecessary.
A couple of us future owners wonder how many current owners have wrapped their MX or MS cars. Why, or why not?
I have also read stuff about the EPA prohibiting certain paint hardening techniques in California manufacturing, and, as a result, the paint is considered "soft". Is this BS or a real factor to consider when deciding how to protect the paint/exterior finish of your car?
Is it really necessary to spend a few to several thousand bucs to protect the car from everyday highway driving or is wrapping the car a waste of money, in your opinion? I thought that a car with a price tag of $100K and north, that the paint/finish would be equally stout. Insights welcome....

I wrapped my MS, but not entirely. It cost $3500 for the entire front end (to the A pillars) and the roof with SunTek. I wish I had the $$$ to do the entire car. It looks great and brings great peace of mind against small rock chips, scuffs, bird droppings, etc. No, it's not perfect protection, but it's great.

I spoke with a body shop owner here in Texas about the "softer paint" claim regarding Teslas and he said that the softer, more fragile paint isn't unique to Teslas. They're all moving towards lower VOC's, etc., which can result in a less robust coating. He may be full of it, but that's what he said.

can you tell a noticeable difference in the paint/finish in areas suntek'd versus native? How long ago did you get your MS? Texas sun make any difference to you in untreated areas? How do you wash your car? wax to suntek'd areas like the native areas or difference management?
Thanks

I had the factory paint protection put on my Sig S, but it didn't cover enough and didn't wrap the edges: forward edges take a beating from sand and gravel. So I had a full front wrap with Xpel Ultimate done on the P85D, plus the bottom half of the door panels up to the styling line. It's worked great and after 25,000 miles looks perfect except for a few places where larger gravel bits have gouged the film (but not the paint!). In you look closely in just the right light you can make out the difference between the untreated paint and the surfaces with Xpel, but it's very subtle and not worth worrying about.

I can't tell any difference between the wrapped and unwrapped portions. It's been nearly a year now. I wash using the often referenced two-bucket method, but not terribly often. I do nothing different between the wrapped and unwrapped areas. I've heard, and probably agree, that one should ideally apply Opticoat or equivalent to the SunTek (or Xpel) to further protect the wrap, but that ain't happening in our household. Paying to protect a protectant seems a bit to much effort for us.

Reactions: Jeeps17
I just wrapped the entire car as I'm expecting to keep the X for at least 8 years. I did the full body wrap as I hate looking at the noticeable lines that form when you just do partial. Do I think its worth: $7500, I don't. I think if more people come together.. it shouldn't cost more than 4k for the entire car.

Reactions: vrykolas
I just wrapped the entire car as I'm expecting to keep the X for at least 8 years. I did the full body wrap as I hate looking at the noticeable lines that form when you just do partial. Do I think its worth: $7500, I don't. I think if more people come together.. it shouldn't cost more than 4k for the entire car.
Has the dealership returned your car yet with your punch list completed?

OP, please take time to search these forums for lots of good info and opinions on coatings (like OptiCoat Pro or cQuartz) and wraps (like Xpel). FWIW, I coated both of our S, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm not into wraps, but that said, if you live in a tough climate (like CO), it might be wise. FWIW, I have heard some X owners applying the clear film to the backs of the seats where there is a glossy hard shell. Scuffs and scrapes are likely, especially from kids & shoes in back.

Consult with your detailing professional and go over your needs and expectations.

BTW, if you want to see a nice result from my local pro, look at:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/62039-We-did-it!-The-X-Citing-Adventure-at-OCDetail!

The best way to compare would be to have two older S's side by side.. one wrapped, one not. Then we'd be able to see the difference. For me, it's not worth thousands of dollars--but I really think it comes down to personal choice. There is no right answer unless you're asking a detailer who installs Xpel--then you must have Xpel or your car will look terrible in a year.

However, I do want to wrap the glossy seat backs in the X--because my kids will abuse those suckers.

Mine is getting wrapped and cQuartz'd as I type. I'm also doing the seat backs as JPP mentioned. I have four young-ish kids and I think the seat backs will need all the help they can get.

My hope with the wrap is that the exterior stays nice for a long while so I can delay that inevitable moment where you find the first chip in the paint or curb rash or whatever and your heart sinks. I think that desire to keep things "shiny" is very much a personality thing and at least for me, it eventually gets relaxed into a more utilitarian view. But, for now, I'm hoping to keep the shiny object feeling going a bit longer than it might otherwise.

I didn't wrap the Falcon Wing Doors.

After 1000 miles, the smallest chip has appeared on the FWD front edge at the bottom just above the plastic trim.

With the FWD sensor problems in the heat, I don't want to let Tesla Motors have wrap as an excuse of why the doors don't rise. Touch up paint for now.

Reactions: Pheadrus
I just got mine back from the detailer after a thorough paint correction and Opti-Coat. I chose not to wrap it because it is leased and I couldn't justify the cost of wrapping over a 3 year period. The cost of the Opti-Coat/Paint Correction was $800. I have had the same fellow do 2 of my previous car and have been thrilled with the results. The finish is smoother and glossier and MUCH easier to keep clean. My other cars are 2 and 3 years old and look like the day they were done. However, Opti-Coat does not offer the same chip protection that wrapping does but as I said above, the wrap did not make sense financially in my case. I am considering having the seat backs wrapped when they have the templates done.

OP, please take time to search these forums for lots of good info and opinions on coatings (like OptiCoat Pro or cQuartz) and wraps (like Xpel). FWIW, I coated both of our S, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm not into wraps, but that said, if you live in a tough climate (like CO), it might be wise. FWIW, I have heard some X owners applying the clear film to the backs of the seats where there is a glossy hard shell. Scuffs and scrapes are likely, especially from kids & shoes in back.

Consult with your detailing professional and go over your needs and expectations.

BTW, if you want to see a nice result from my local pro, look at:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/62039-We-did-it!-The-X-Citing-Adventure-at-OCDetail!

Personally, I find it difficult to do a simple search of the forums for opinions on coatings. There are many subforums and an insane number of threads where people have mentioned terms such as XPEL or Opticoat, etc. It makes it very difficult to find useful information without having to also comb the Model S forums, and subforums. So I really appreciate this thread to (hopefully) put it all in one place. I personally and debating whether or not to do this wrap process and I find it very helpful that @jsollender put it here.

Anybody feel strongly that it is a waste of money?

Mark: Any thoughts on what might have cause this? Normal wear and tear or a special, non repeating event?

And after all of your hassles with the FWD's are over, would you go back and protect these edges somehow?
The detailer thought it might be a rock. The door has been worked on at the SC, so that is a small possibility.

I will examine Model S and the locations that Tesla Motors put the protective material during their installation, but I don't remember them protecting the doors. Since the Model S doors had no damage in 3 years, I thought it would be safe to not wrap the doors. Falcon Wing Door sensor issues are another reason I thought it would be best to not wrap the doors until Tesla Motors replaces the sensors with new ones that don't have heat issues.

Since this small chip occurred at the bottom below the inward curve of the metal, I may have a strip added to the bottom.

I've never wrapped any of my cars before, but as these Xes will be work cars, (limo biz) frequent car washes and a lot of "wear and tear" means that I'm going to get it wrapped with XPEL.

I was advised that Opticoating on top of the XPEL wrap is a bit excessive and not necessary, as XPEL already has a self-healing property to it and a full warranty.

Planning on getting whole car done, as well as seatbacks as I have chosen the 7 seater.

I think the answer is totally personal. I would never dream of wrapping my gravel hauling pickup. However, the X will probably be my car for 5-7 years. I want it as nearly perfect as possible...unlike my sock drawer.

I still can't figure out why wrapping or coating is worth the dough. I have a 10 year old cayenne with 110k on it and don't have rock chips or road rash. Maybe I should drive behind more tractor trailers?