Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Wrap or not wrap your Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an issue with some rock damage to my newly installed XPEL after a 3,000km road trip. Contacted XPEL North America, and they referred me to Vic from XPEL Canada who took the time to call me personally and explain what paint protection film can and cannot do, and how modern films differ from older ones. Service was pretty amazing given that they have so many customers.

I will get my film re-applied by Ronnie at PH Solar in Vancouver who does incredible work.

20181215_125935.jpg

Wrap it!

Had mine done in 3M deep matte black, I Also ceramic coated that. My car was made with Midnight Silver Metallic paint (originally)
Which you can still see upon opening of doors, unless you opt to have those wrapped also, which i do not recommend, due to possible sensor issues.

Heres why i chose Wrap & Ceramic Coat:
The original paint is considered "soft" paint, And is easily scratched. I've personally always liked the look of matte black also, but there are literally limitless options of color/pattern/designs when your talking wrap, you want anything you can find a wrap.
Wraps are usually removable.
The reason i chose to also ceramic coat, was mainly for cleaning reasons, but it also protects the vinyl (which doesnt need protection) but why not right.. i also had the glass ceramic coated which helps with water and protects, its also 100% clear so wont affect clarity. Since my car is deep matte black dust/road dirt tends to stand out against it, but i can just spray it down and its like new. I rarely need to use a soap/cleaner.

The main things to consider:
Do you drive roads with increased chances of rocks/debris?
Frequent long road trips?
Do you leave your car outside or do you garage it?
If you awnsered yes to all 3 or at least 2 of those, i would highly recommend a wrap or at least ceramic coat.
(Theres also clear wrap)

Dropped my X off today for a full wrap and "ceramic" coat. More like glass-coat since i went with modesta. Turnaround time 8 days :(

i hate this shitty POS Chrysler 300 rental car. Seriously. i honestly would've preferred a toyota corolla. The visibility in this thing is useless.

• Funny
Reactions: Tic-tac-toe
My new X is scheduled for a wrap in three days. I had it planned from the beginning, before I got the car three weeks ago, but this was the first opportunity to get it in... and naturally, some jackass keyed the fender already. I’m having that touched up before it goes in.

Giving a different wrap a try, though. Optic Shield Nano. Can’t really find any reviews, but the installer inspired a hell of a lot more confidence than the local 3M installer here in Denmark, so I figured that was more important. 7 year warranty in any case... wish me luck! Pics will, of course, follow. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Tic-tac-toe
My new X is scheduled for a wrap in three days. I had it planned from the beginning, before I got the car three weeks ago, but this was the first opportunity to get it in... and naturally, some jackass keyed the fender already. I’m having that touched up before it goes in.

Giving a different wrap a try, though. Optic Shield Nano. Can’t really find any reviews, but the installer inspired a hell of a lot more confidence than the local 3M installer here in Denmark, so I figured that was more important. 7 year warranty in any case... wish me luck! Pics will, of course, follow. ;)

People key cars in Denmark?

People key cars in Denmark?

When I arrived at Tesla for an unrelated problem this week, the first thing I noted was a bright red S with a much more horrific gouge from front to back, obviously done with a key.

Some Danes are quite... well, I’m not sure the word, but they don’t believe anybody should have expensive stuff because they can’t / don’t. So yeah, it’s sadly common.

Of course, it could have been an immigrant like me that keyed my car. I make no assumptions. ;)

Ive heard good things about optic nano, as long as your not doing clear, the only complaint ive heard is the clear can yellow/brown on the edges after time

• Informative
Reactions: Corbets
Ive heard good things about optic nano, as long as your not doing clear, the only complaint ive heard is the clear can yellow/brown on the edges after time
Lovely. I’m doing clear - the “nano“ is one of their two clear options.

But it’s got a warranty against yellowing for 7 years (or so I thought - looking at their website again, seems to be 10 years for the nano), so if that happens, I’ll take it back and get it redone. No biggie, hopefully.

Lovely. I’m doing clear - the “nano“ is one of their two clear options.

But it’s got a warranty against yellowing for 7 years (or so I thought - looking at their website again, seems to be 10 years for the nano), so if that happens, I’ll take it back and get it redone. No biggie, hopefully.
Considering ive only heard of the yellowing on the edges, even if it did happen, i dont think it would be too noticeable unless it was against maybe white..

It seems like several receivers of X's have opted to wrap their cars in numerous aftermarket paint/finish protectors while others say it is totally unnecessary.
A couple of us future owners wonder how many current owners have wrapped their MX or MS cars. Why, or why not?
I have also read stuff about the EPA prohibiting certain paint hardening techniques in California manufacturing, and, as a result, the paint is considered "soft". Is this BS or a real factor to consider when deciding how to protect the paint/exterior finish of your car?
Is it really necessary to spend a few to several thousand bucs to protect the car from everyday highway driving or is wrapping the car a waste of money, in your opinion? I thought that a car with a price tag of $100K and north, that the paint/finish would be equally stout. Insights welcome....

I had mine wrapped with Invisiguard and roughly 1200 for full front (Hood, Bumper, Fenders, Mirrors). Best thing I've done... Regular commuter with my MX and driving up to Truckee\Tahoe really helps. I hear all the "pebbles" and other things hitting the hood etc.

When I arrived at Tesla for an unrelated problem this week, the first thing I noted was a bright red S with a much more horrific gouge from front to back, obviously done with a key.

Some Danes are quite... well, I’m not sure the word, but they don’t believe anybody should have expensive stuff because they can’t / don’t. So yeah, it’s sadly common.

Of course, it could have been an immigrant like me that keyed my car. I make no assumptions. ;)

Hmm. Maybe my wife should not speak at the conference there this Spring.

Worth wrapping if you are in an area where they don't charge upwards of 7K for a full wrap. Some do a great job while others don't & good ones charge more, obviously. Cheapest quote I got was over 7.5K, I could just get it re-painted prolly for that amount some years later!