Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tokyo Showroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe it or not, Japan charges 0% (yes, zero) import tax on cars! The US even charges 4% or something, so it's actually cheaper to bring a US car into Japan than it is to export a car from Japan to the US (which is one reason why Japanese automakers have a lot of their North America-targeted production in the U.S.). Tesla ships the cars into Japan by air from either Europe or the U.S. (they tried sending the first batch by boat but apparently it's hard on the batteries so they decide to go strictly by air from now on). This cost a few thoasand dollars per car which gets added into the price. In addition, there is some kind of fee to get the car tested for emissions, safety, etc., and finally there is a $2000 destination charge added. The 'emissions' test is actually done to make sure they have not hidden a gas-powered engine somewhere in the car, this is the truth! In any case, the market here is wide open for companies with good product, and BMW, Benz, VW, Porshe, and others all sell lots of vehicles over here. Sad as it is, until Tesla showed up, the US just didn't really have a product anybody wanted over here.... The US big three all used to have dealership networks in Japan, but all 3 of them have shut down and now sell very few cars here (you see a Corvette, Mustang, Cadillac, etc., once in awhile, but not often, and they are all imported by specialty dealers rather than the companies themselves).

Last edited:
Pics from opening party

I thought I had some more pictures of the Tokyo opening bash, but all I could find were there pictures of Elon giving me a thank you letter for buying one the first Roadsters here... I thought it was the first 2.5 sold in Japan, but unfortunately Elon gave that one to Akio Toyoda earlier in the day (even though I ordered mine first :frown:) The Tesla store here in Tokyo and surroundings are quite nice, and always crowds gather to ogle at the cars. I'll try to get some pictures of the showroom up soon.

IMG_8578.jpg
IMG_8668.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I am seriously stoked about the arrival of the car and will great to at least get the 2nd 2.5 in Tokyo!!! The build is scheduled for Dec. 13, so I'm hoping it's going to be here around mid-Jan. or so. They are still trying to sell off the last batch of 2.0's at the moment although I can never get any of the staff here to tell me exactly how many cars have been sold so far... I try to trick them into telling me sometimes but it never works! The 2.0's they have I left I believe are the last 2 or 3 units of an original set of 20 Signature series cars that were brought over here starting around June this year. These are all very high spec models -- all are Roadster Sports and all have pretty much every option you can buy. I don't think I was really supposed to get that letter from Elon as I bought a fairly stripped down base model Roadster, but they kind of enticed me by saying he would give me the keys to the car and a letter at the party if I signed right then! I'm kind of a sucker for that kind of stuff, so I went ahead and signed the purchase agreement :). I sure wanted one really badly though, so all for the best maybe...

Nice video, it shows a bit of the Tokyo dealership and surrounding area. It shows people getting test drives around the block which is why it looks like it is repeating over and over. Also, this is a very sad but true story: the blue car was wrecked yesterday, apparently during a test drive. Not sure how badly it was damaged or if anyone was hurt though.

It seems like the Tokyo store is selling a lot more cars now -- every time I go by the shop there is a different display model it seems like. The pattern here is that the dealer gets completed cars in (always Sports with all the fiber, upgrades, etc.), and leaves them on the showroom floor until they sell. A few weeks ago there were two sport models on the floor, a Lightening Green one and a Thunder Gray car --- I came back a couple days later and both were gone. The sales person said that an automotive college came by and snapped them both up! I was told, although I don't know if it's true or not, that I'm the only one who has actually ordered a car so far, and mine will be the only model 2.5 LHD car in the country. It's also the only Obsidian Black car for some reason although there are a number of Jet Black cars are on the road.... My car, which is a standard Roadster with no upgrades will be the only one of it's kind in Japan (all the others are Sports!!!). No street racing for me maybe! I guess I can still race BMW's, etc., but not other Roadsters.