Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Told Tesla discontinuing CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in a Tesla store yesterday and told that CPO cars are going away as Tesla is not continuing the CPO program. So when current ones are gone there will not be anymore.

I was planning on buying a MX CPO. I was in the showroom to learn differences in MX

I have a MS now

Reactions: Akikiki
Are you sure this isn’t more of the ‘we call them used now’? Several threads on this and Elon announced this a LONG time ago.

This is the right answer. They won't be performing the "inspection" and offering the extended warranties on them anymore. Tesla will still sell used vehicles; they just won't be certified. So they'll sell PO cars, not CPO cars. The C usually is a profit maker for dealers; but it seems for a Tesla SC it's just overhead. They'll come as is, take it or leave it with remaining factory warranty.

I guess anything is possible with Tesla, but I doubt they would just end the "Used" car program. They're taking in loads of lease returns and trade-ins when selling new cars. They'd take a huge bath by wholesaling all of them to Texas Direct or the auction markets.

Even with zero refurbishment and 'come and get it' delivery, they can still make a decent margin on the used cars. A LOT of people feel more comfortable buying a beat-up used car directly from Tesla than a car in great condition in a private sale, and will pay a premium for that comfort.

The preowned are sold as-is now. In the past, the CPO were refurbished but they added it to the cost of the car. I am contemplating a preowned but with out of state inventory, I have to fly there, look at the car, test it out and if everything checks out, sign for it and arrange for shipping myself. A bit extra added work. Also, I am particular about not having the front license plate drilled into the front bumper, but I think anything outside of CA has them.

I was in a Tesla store yesterday and told that CPO cars are going away as Tesla is not continuing the CPO program. So when current ones are gone there will not be anymore.

I was planning on buying a MX CPO. I was in the showroom to learn differences in MX

I have a MS now

Yes there are no more CPOs, only pre-owned or used MS or MX.

I got my used ModelX yesterday. A 2016 Pearl White Multicoat with white interiors and 22” Black/Onyx Rims. It has 14K miles on it. It only took me a week to get it from the date i placed a deposit.

What i think made the process quick... I think it’s because i opted for the inhouse Tesla Financing. No trade in (this also helped). The MX was in Westchester NY and I am from the west coast. I flew in yesterday and arranged for it delivered via 3rd party freight company. It cost me $1,700 because i wanted it picked up same day as i wanted to fly back the next day. If i was willing to wait for 3-7 days before it is picked up, it would have cost me $1,300.

The experience was great! Shout out to my Tesla Regional Credit Analyst, Ari and Used Sales Advisor, Santiago. They were very patient with me... my loan approval only took less than a day and then the process was faster than i expected. In fact, i had a another choice vehicle that i already placed a deposit of $2,500... but the following day while looking at www.teslacpo.io i found this one that had 8,000 miles lesser with ultra high fidelity sound... anyway, Ari and Santiago were quick to get me the 2nd choice used MX listing that i wanted. The key is to get approved with the loan quickly and submit requirements on your online Tesla account as fast as you can...

Tips:

1. Request a picture on the Tesla website. Sometimes it takes 24 hours or even more to get them. What you see is what you get. They will not refurbish it. So make sure you get high resolution images. I am lucky the car was well kept by the previous owner.
2. Be nice to the Sales Advisor and Finance Person. Treat them well, they’ll treat you well. They are sooooooo busy with so many new orders nowadays. I heard there were 300 new Model3s in that lot that were about to be delivered that week. The Tesla Team in this location in WC NY (Manny, Vlad, John and another gentleman whom i forgot who upgraded my firmware) were so awesome too!
3. As I said on #2... Be very very very very very patient. It will take more than 2-3 hours just to have you entertained. Then another hour or two to do paper works and check the vehicle... Do not expect royalty treatment. Some of the staff are new hires. They’re having a hard time coping up with the demand. There’s just not enough man power to cope up with the sales.
4. All used comes with 4 years or 50,000 miles warranty. So do not worry about anything that will be covered by warranty. Just have it fixed by Tesla if there are issues later.
5. Find your CPO/Used @ www.teslacpo.io it is very well laid out and is updated constantly. Other helpful sites are www.ev-cpo.com and www.teslainventory.com. Both are very informative too.

Good luck and go for it. Do not worry too much. You can refuse delivery on the day of getting your vehicle and use the non refundable $2,500 deposit towards another one on the listing if you’re not happy on your choice. i hope this is helpful. Happy buying!!!

One last thing... got this 2016MX75D for $71,800 . Original sticker price was i believe $96,000.

A2995C53-5F6C-4F4F-A4D5-3496ECCC48A1.jpeg

ADD468C9-362D-4F1B-8130-F63CA1D68168.jpeg

9D9BDC63-0F41-4E32-952F-2A31562C5C43.jpeg

EAFBDB15-26D2-4163-A87B-D47F199B9276.jpeg

FE3CF26B-2D7F-45C7-9D4B-58979178CA73.jpeg

9CBE9862-0102-4237-8C63-0B2BF0068B99.jpeg

FB5A5083-A6E2-4EB4-8D16-C66C8E9E24BC.jpeg

05F11E27-99A7-4B3B-A6BA-D64EC1BCD681.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C294930-763E-4EFC-918D-BD7158701753.jpeg
    9C294930-763E-4EFC-918D-BD7158701753.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 956AEE33-BB19-4F1F-BD12-8FC8AC60B262.jpeg
    956AEE33-BB19-4F1F-BD12-8FC8AC60B262.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Congrats on the sweet ride!

Thanks for the www.teslacpo.io website. Prices changes help a lot. I noticed that prices can decrease by $10k in 1 week. That’s crazy. Is that accurate?

For the ones I am looking for, I asked for pics but only got 4 sent to me. I requested a call back to get more information and more pics on the car but no one ever calls me back. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Congrats on the sweet ride!

Thanks for the www.teslacpo.io website. Prices changes help a lot. I noticed that prices can decrease by $10k in 1 week. That’s crazy. Is that accurate?

For the ones I am looking for, I asked for pics but only got 4 sent to me. I requested a call back to get more information and more pics on the car but no one ever calls me back. Any suggestions?

The prices changes daily and yes it could even go more than $10K in a week. I've even seen Model X's sold for less than $60K. I am a very early Tesla Model 3 depositors and I am glad that I got this 2 year old Model X for $70K instead of a M 3. See images below or follow this link for all MX sold on Teslaipo.io.

The pre-owned comes with a 4 year or 50,000 miles warranty so basically if something goes wrong you can have it replaced. The only thing they will not do is fix dents or scratches. So make sure you do your own research.

Yes, some dealers do not have images yet as the unit probably just was traded-in and not cleaned. So just continue requesting. Out of the maybe 20 call back requests, I only got 1 call. In my experience, no one will call unless you have placed a $2,500 D/P. Yup, it's a huge risk but if you really want an MX, this is a very limited opportunity to get one which is priced close to a Model3.

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 9.57.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 9.58.04 AM.png