Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tons of charging errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

planetary

EndlessCheese spreader
Dec 29, 2018
Danville, CA
2022 Model S Long Range. Since the car has been delivered, I've intermittently been seeing some charging errors when charging with my Gen 1 wall charger at 40a (on a 50a circuit). This wall charger was installed by a Tesla-certified/recommended electrician, and worked flawlessly for 3 years with my Model 3, and has charged other Teslas without error. I'm confident it didn't suddenly fail on the day I took delivery of the new car.

This morning I noticed the car failed to charge overnight -- and was still down below 50% this morning. I re-seated the connector several times, to try to get the car to take a charge. After several attempts, it worked.

Grabbed a snapshot of the errors (apologies for moire pattern):

IMG_4564.jpg

Right. Service request submitted. Next opening is a month out (sigh), so I'm going to cotact them to get in sooner, since this is a car reliability issue.

Finally, I did a little checking in other vehicle forums. Looks like some folks with recent (Q4 2021) builds had similar problems with home/AC charging, and needed an ECU swap. Will keep updating as this progresses.

Still happening every day, but most often errors vanish when I get in the car.

After hunting around for closer appointment slots, I got one next Tuesday at Fremont. (Someone must've canceled. Yay.)

Very soon after getting that new appt slot, Fremont Service chatted me asking for error dates/times. I provided, they acknowledged. Car is still getting software updates.

FYI… I have a 2022 MSLR (12/21 build date). Experienced “multiple” charging errors while on teslas superchargers. Car is currently in for service. Advisor told me several newer S’s are having similar issues. Tesla engineering team is aware.
I agreed to allow the service center team to use my car as a “test dummie”. They ordered and installed “parts” today (unsure what “parts” yet). They told me the engineering team is running remote tests.

FYI… I have a 2022 MSLR (12/21 build date). Experienced “multiple” charging errors while on teslas superchargers. Car is currently in for service. Advisor told me several newer S’s are having similar issues. Tesla engineering team is aware.
I agreed to allow the service center team to use my car as a “test dummie”. They ordered and installed “parts” today (unsure what “parts” yet). They told me the engineering team is running remote tests.
Thanks for this.

Your build date is 1 day after mine. I had to delay service on my car for work reasons. It's been able to charge fine for the most part, but errors are still getting thrown every day. I generally can't get the car to start charging over the app, but can in person, if I reseat the connector in the car's port. It's really weird.

Thank you for being a test case. Please keep us updated. My car will be going in on the 31st of Jan.

Just got the car back. They replaced the “Car Computer” as well as a “thermal unit” (fortunately, my car reproduced all of the errors for the service team when they charged it).
Service Team didn’t know why some are failing so they shipped the old computer back to Fremont engineering to diagnose. Good news… it drives so much better - smoother. Bad news is ALL personal settings were erased - had to spend about 15 min in the parking lot to reprogram (worth it). Hope this helps and good luck with your fix. I’d recommend your service center call mine (Jacksonville, FL) if they’re stumped.

Just got the car back. They replaced the “Car Computer” as well as a “thermal unit” (fortunately, my car reproduced all of the errors for the service team when they charged it).
Service Team didn’t know why some are failing so they shipped the old computer back to Fremont engineering to diagnose. Good news… it drives so much better - smoother. Bad news is ALL personal settings were erased - had to spend about 15 min in the parking lot to reprogram (worth it). Hope this helps and good luck with your fix. I’d recommend your service center call mine (Jacksonville, FL) if they’re stumped.
Great news.

Do you by chance have a screen shot (or list) of the error messages your car was showing? Interested in whether they differ from the ones I showed above, in the initial post.

Dropped my car off for service today. When I went in, they said techs had already diagnosed the problem by looking at logs, based on my screenshots and timestamps.

They're going to install a new "charging port". Part is in stock, and should get the car back tomorrow, if all goes well and the crick don't rise.

Reactions: 2021 S-LR
Great news.

Do you by chance have a screen shot (or list) of the error messages your car was showing? Interested in whether they differ from the ones I showed above, in the initial post.
Unfortunately I did not take screen shots. So far… charging issues are fixed. That said, I’ve noticed all of the buttons on the yolk occasionally flicker… and for some reason, XM radio randomly disappears from the streaming screen.

Dropped my car off for service today. When I went in, they said techs had already diagnosed the problem by looking at logs, based on my screenshots and timestamps.

They're going to install a new "charging port". Part is in stock, and should get the car back tomorrow, if all goes well and the crick don't rise.
Let me know if it fixes your issues… any other strange things happening?

Let me know if it fixes your issues… any other strange things happening?

Roger that. Waiting for the call to go pick up the car. :)

Flickering yoke -- yes, my car has this too. Thread on the topic:

Beyond this, nothing strange, no other errors. Fingers crossed.

Update: my problem turned out to be my wall charger.

Tesla replaced the charge port on my car -- which didn't fix the problem. I had the electrician who installed by Gen 2 wall charger come out and inspect the work. Didn't find a problem. I found a neighbor with a wall charger -- and the car was fine, even overnight. Hrmph.

Long story short, I bought a Gen 3 charger and installed it, and upgraded the breaker from 50a to 60a in the process, and my Model S charges fine -- and faster than before (was configured at 40a, and is now set to 48a).

Not sure why Tesla SC techs couldn't diagnose this. Maybe the Gen 2 fault was rare or weird. Anyway, I leave this update here for posterity, in case anyone else falls into this pattern.

Reactions: Huachipato