Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Late to Order SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll respond to the questions about backup power, but let's do future dialogue in PM or move to the Tesla Energy section of this forum.

You don't need a Tesla roof. They are way overpriced, and you might wait years for the installation. Plus, their output doesn't match current solar panels.

We paid $11k, total, for 4 kW solar installation. But we had an existing 4.8 kW already installed, so you may need a larger system.

We paid $27k, total, for three Powerwalls, which was probably one more than we needed. During our recent three day outage, the batteries never went below 50%, and that included some EV charging. The third Powerwall also necessitated a new breaker panel, and that added a day's labor to the final cost. You also will save a ton on electricity rates, especially because Powerwalls optimize rate schedule arbitrage. Right now, PG&E owes us more than we are spending of electricity usage.

I think you may find permits for solar and backup batteries are easier to obtain than other work. I've not heard of a single issue regarding this, even in California. Some HOA's can be anal retentive, but mostly, they will bend over backwards to encourage pollution free energy sources.

All of the above have 30% tax credits. Between the solar, Powerwalls and Model 3 credits, Uncle Donald (if he's still there next year) will owe us a fortune for 2019 taxes!

I'll look into it. The problem is that we don't live in an HOA. The County wrote the rules just for this little street. And boy did they get strict about it. Then again, those rules are superseded by the Federal and state rules about allowing solar. Well, the big challenge in any system will be to find one that can handle the load. This place draws a lot of power. Spring/summer PG&E bills run $700-800+.

I think I will PM you with a couple of questions about a good person at Tesla to contact re: a solar power system. With Tesla, the contact can make or break how well it works.