Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Late to Order SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been lurking for a while; thanks for all the valuable info!

I'm in FL and not feeling confident I will take delivery by 12/31; so I haven't placed my order. The $1875 isn't a deal breaker; but obviously would be nice.

Valid concern or do most feel like Tesla will pull off the majority of deliveries within the 4-6 estimated time frame?

It's amazing out things have changed.

I ordered mine back in April, with the intent to get it long before the tax credit was halved in July. The website said 1 to 2 weeks, and my car showed up five days after I ordered it. I am truly surprised there this much of a backlog.

Been lurking for a while; thanks for all the valuable info!

I'm in FL and not feeling confident I will take delivery by 12/31; so I haven't placed my order. The $1875 isn't a deal breaker; but obviously would be nice.

Valid concern or do most feel like Tesla will pull off the majority of deliveries within the 4-6 estimated time frame?

Waiting isn't going to help. If you want the car, go for it. The website quotes 4-6 weeks for delivery and Tesla always does a huge push at the end of the quarter. I think your chances are high as long as you get off the fence and click the order button.

I would expect Tesla to produce more than enough vehicles to fill all orders in the US prior to 12/31, even if they are placed in the final few days of the year. In 2018 they had a significant amount of excess Model 3 inventory in anticipation of the $7,500 federal tax credit being cut in half. They will do the same thing again this year. They are just backordered for now while Tesla fills international orders but that will change shortly back to US fulfillment.

I would expect Tesla to produce more than enough vehicles to fill all orders in the US prior to 12/31, even if they are placed in the final few days of the year. In 2018 they had a significant amount of excess Model 3 inventory in anticipation of the $7,500 federal tax credit being cut in half. They will do the same thing again this year. They are just backordered for now while Tesla fills international orders but that will change shortly back to US fulfillment.

This happened a week ago. Look at the spreadsheet for proof.

Reactions: tren01t
What do you mean ... switched to full US production. I can never figure out the spreadsheet as there are lots of people who sign up and never complete it.

BTW - getting ready for the next PG&E shutoff? I don't know how real this one is but it's getting OLD.

You can order the columns by VIN date. Look in row 1 for a video showing how-to. You will see a page full of VINs assigned the past week. There are 12 entries receiving VIN dates today.

It's also apparent that most/all are SR+. It's also interesting to note there doesn't seem to be a regional bias, as there are a lot of western time zones getting VINs. So it would seem they are cranking out SR+ until most/all orders are filled.

I noted in another thread that this may be to allow more long range batteries to be produced. Not sure if they have produced any LR/AWDs or Ps recently. That's why the purported shipment of LR/AWDs, if true, is good news.

Power shutoffs are the new standard in California. We installed some Powerwalls over the summer, so we weren't dark during the recent grid shutoff, not for a nano-second. However, we were without -any- internet, so we suffered too. ;)

Reactions: tren01t
You can order the columns by VIN date. Look in row 1 for a video showing how-to. You will see a page full of VINs assigned the past week. There are 12 entries receiving VIN dates today.

It's also apparent that most/all are SR+. It's also interesting to note there doesn't seem to be a regional bias, as there are a lot of western time zones getting VINs. So it would seem they are cranking out SR+ until most/all orders are filled.

I noted in another thread that this may be to allow more long range batteries to be produced. Not sure if they have produced any LR/AWDs or Ps recently. That's why the purported shipment of LR/AWDs, if true, is good news.

Power shutoffs are the new standard in California. We installed some Powerwalls over the summer, so we weren't dark during the recent grid shutoff, not for a nano-second. However, we were without -any- internet, so we suffered too. ;)
It makes sense. Make SR's till you drop. Make LR batteries while U are doing SR+, then make LR's.

It does make sense to do all geographical areas at once. It does not make sense to hold on California deliveries like they have been predicting. That has been my biggest beef - 10 minute deliveries.

I'm not scheduled to be shut off by PG&E, but they screw up all the time, so you never know. They did last time. I can't deal with this - so I will probably get a big Generator for the whole house.

Tesla roofs will be a fortune as my house is big. It's 3700 sq ft in one floor, so huge roof and lots of county rules - we live in unincorporated area.

Generator will be $30-$40K (probably easy to get permits), Tesla with Powerwall 2 or 3 times that (?~$60K+) with lots of county fighting. We had to get permission to change color of the house - I'm not kidding! Marin County is nasty about how things "look". I just don't want to live in this PG&E nonsense any more!

It makes sense. Make SR's till you drop. Make LR batteries while U are doing SR+, then make LR's.

It does make sense to do all geographical areas at once. It does not make sense to hold on California deliveries like they have been predicting. That has been my biggest beef - 10 minute deliveries.

I'm not scheduled to be shut off by PG&E, but they screw up all the time, so you never know. They did last time. I can't deal with this - so I will probably get a big Generator for the whole house.

Tesla roofs will be a fortune as my house is big. It's 3700 sq ft in one floor, so huge roof and lots of county rules - we live in unincorporated area.

Generator will be $30-$40K (probably easy to get permits), Tesla with Powerwall 2 or 3 times that (?~$60K+) with lots of county fighting. We had to get permission to change color of the house - I'm not kidding! Marin County is nasty about how things "look". I just don't want to live in this PG&E nonsense any more!

I'll respond to the questions about backup power, but let's do future dialogue in PM or move to the Tesla Energy section of this forum.

You don't need a Tesla roof. They are way overpriced, and you might wait years for the installation. Plus, their output doesn't match current solar panels.

We paid $11k, total, for 4 kW solar installation. But we had an existing 4.8 kW already installed, so you may need a larger system.

We paid $27k, total, for three Powerwalls, which was probably one more than we needed. During our recent three day outage, the batteries never went below 50%, and that included some EV charging. The third Powerwall also necessitated a new breaker panel, and that added a day's labor to the final cost. You also will save a ton on electricity rates, especially because Powerwalls optimize rate schedule arbitrage. Right now, PG&E owes us more than we are spending of electricity usage.

I think you may find permits for solar and backup batteries are easier to obtain than other work. I've not heard of a single issue regarding this, even in California. Some HOA's can be anal retentive, but mostly, they will bend over backwards to encourage pollution free energy sources.

All of the above have 30% tax credits. Between the solar, Powerwalls and Model 3 credits, Uncle Donald (if he's still there next year) will owe us a fortune for 2019 taxes!