Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too much dust inside. Where is the air filters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many stories about a big filter inside X that is supposed to make air inside the car much cleaner.
However, I've noticed that my X is much more polluted with dust than last few cars I owned before.
In fact it was noticable immediately even during delivery and it continues to be like this during all 9 months that I drive my X. Once I wipe out all the dust on inside panels it takes no more than a few days to have the panels covered in dust again. This was not the case in my Audi a6 and infinity - in there I had to wipe out dust just few times a year.

I'm starting thinking that maybe my filter has been missed during assembly.
As I understand there are 2 filters in X - the big Hepa filter and a kind of regular in cabin filter.

Is that correct?
Is there a way to check if they are installed without involving a Service Center?

How is your "dust situation"? Have you noticed your X more or less dusty comparing to your other cars?

There are many stories about a big filter inside X that is supposed to make air inside the car much cleaner.
However, I've noticed that my X is much more polluted with dust than last few cars I owned before.
In fact it was noticable immediately even during delivery and it continues to be like this during all 9 months that I drive my X. Once I wipe out all the dust on inside panels it takes no more than a few days to have the panels covered in dust again. This was not the case in my Audi a6 and infinity - in there I had to wipe out dust just few times a year.

I'm starting thinking that maybe my filter has been missed during assembly.
As I understand there are 2 filters in X - the big Hepa filter and a kind of regular in cabin filter.

Is that correct?
Is there a way to check if they are installed without involving a Service Center?

How is your "dust situation"? Have you noticed your X more or less dusty comparing to your other cars?

Did you order the premium upgrade ($5,000 option includes upgraded sound system, self-closing door, bio-defense mode, and a couple of other upgrades). If not, your car is like mine, and does not have the bio-defense mode with HEPA filter and positive pressure option, and will get pollen and dust inside just like any other car. I find my car no worse, but also no better than my BMW 3 series, with respect to prevent dust from the outside getting in.

Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
Did you order the premium upgrade ($5,000 option includes upgraded sound system, self-closing door, bio-defense mode, and a couple of other upgrades). If not, your car is like mine, and does not have the bio-defense mode with HEPA filter and positive pressure option, and will get pollen and dust inside just like any other car. I find my car no worse, but also no better than my BMW 3 series, with respect to prevent dust from the outside getting in.

Yes, I have the premium package.

Yah, I don’t know where it comes from. I’d clean the whole car, wipe everything down and almost instantly see it on the dash, screen, wood trim, etc...

The most reliable way for me to deal with it is to vacuum it up. And vacuum the carpet, registers, seats, trim, etc...

Good luck!

Sounds like something is wrong with your car.

Tesla X comes with standard automotive air filters that should give you relatively clean interior. They also offer a very large, state of the art HEPA filter that should do even better.

I beilive that these filters will have a by-pass system that will send air around them if they get too dirty and restriction gets high.

Would be worth a trip to the service center to have them take a look.