Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took delivery but thinking of returning. Am I being paranoid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One was an AWD 19" received September 30 2018. The other is a LR RWD Aero received late November (after Thanksgiving).

First car had left lane change not working correctly. It would continuously blink. Quickly fixed. RWD car had a scratched sill plate (driver's side) and some small paint issue. Tesla quickly corrected.

AWD on a hot day can, for the first mile, exhibits popping sounds as if the window is about to crack. The RWD is just totally solid. It is the trip car because of its greater range. 5754 miles on AWD and 7277 on RWD. Yes, more miles on the newer car. The AWD replaced my 2013 Genesis R-Spec. The RWD replaced Kim's 2013 Mustang.
I've read that speculated on other threads but a service call to Tesla confirmed the 2 button + brake pedal method for a minor issue that I was having several months ago.
there are three different levels of reboot. The first is the pressing of both buttons and holding. This can be done while driving. The second is like above but done in park with the brake pedal pressed. It is a more complete reboot. Finally, the most complete of all involves using the service menu to shut the car down. Tesla recommends leaving the car shut down for several minutes. They had me do this once. It is supposed to be the most complete reboot.

My passenger window has been glitchy since I picked it up, goes halfway stops and goes down, I have to do it slowly on the first click not auto up.

No big deal I haven’t even bothered to set an appointment for it .

I own a window tinting company I see this kind of problem often from lots of different manufacturers

Not a big deal

The big question is if you spent more than you’re comfortable spending then I would probably wait if this is a price point you’re comfortable spending in the glitches are more than made up for by how much better of a car it is.

I love my car just not thrilled with the company .

If you are near a service center, I would not even give this a second thought. Tesla service will make things right for you. That is why you have a warranty. If you are reasonable about problems (not complain about every rattle and squeak), I believe you will have very good luck with Tesla service.

Most vehicle power windows have a technique to sync their travel (including Tesla)

Usually press and hold the up button until it reaches the top and it stops (or a chime is sounded) Then release.

Then hold the down button until it bottoms out and stops (or a chime is sounded). Then release.

This should re calibrate the windows to operate properly.

If you are reasonable about problems (not complain about every rattle and squeak), I believe you will have very good luck with Tesla service.

Great point. There is a fine line between attention to little details and being super picky & whiny. If you practice finding faults on superfluous cosmetic things and complaining about it, you will get very good it.

This little boy says it very nicely:

I decided to keep the car! And I’m doing my best to not freak out about the issues! Although, when on day 8 this shows up I still get a bit nervous

Attachments

• BC4D76BD-F2D1-44FE-9A6E-3EC94450F94B.jpeg
    BC4D76BD-F2D1-44FE-9A6E-3EC94450F94B.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Love
Reactions: Runnergirl
I decided to keep the car! And I’m doing my best to not freak out about the issues! Although, when on day 8 this shows up I still get a bit nervous

What were you doing at the time that came up?

I got a few “regenerative braking limited” messages when I first got the car in mid-April, but they were all after the car was cold-soaked at 40 degrees F or so. Totally normal.

Just having to relearn “normal”!

A few months after I got my 3 I received an odd "Auto pilot not available" (or similar) message when I was driving on a road I use every work day. Weather was clear and I didn't know why I received the message. I called my local Tesla Service Center a minute or so after that error and they said they were able to view the vehicle logs (at least that's what they claimed) and did not see any hardware faults. Never saw that error again.

When you receive an error like that, maybe try getting the local service center on the phone if it's happening during business hours.