Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took Delivery of Model 3 on Dec 22nd, yet to receive a refund due me on Tag and Title

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla charged me up front as most car dealers do a flat rate for Tag and Title transfer (250.00). I received my registration in late January and found that the cost of both Title and Tag was 90.00 ( I contacted the DMV for this info). So Telsa owes me about 160.00. I can get nowhere with anyone on the phone. I have bought many cars in my life and have always received the difference back from the dealer once the true cost was known. Is anyone else having this issue?

I was charged $500 DMV fee when I took delivery at the Tampa center over 10 weeks ago. They incorrectly bought a new tag instead of transferring the registration on my old one. That incurred $300 DMV charge instead of the approx $120 it should have been. Tesla refuses to refund any of my $380 overcharge - saying they will only offer a $300 “merchandise credit” for their mistake.

I’m also not receiving the 6 months free supercharging I’m entitled to. And the extended warranty refund from my previous Tesla I’m due hasn’t been received either. I’ve escalated these concerns and gotten assurances they are already corrected - An outright lie.

I’ve really lost a lot of respect for the company. This is my second Model S and I was a real Tesla fan until these problems, along with numerous issues with the new car.

Last edited:
I paid Tesla their mandatory $500 DMV fee upon taking delivery of the car. They are required in Fl to do the DMV vehicle title/registration from this fee and refund any overcharge to the customer. Due to their screwup the DMV charged them $300 for a new tag instead of the $120 for the transfer.

They have acknowledged it is their fault but refused to refund cash - only a “merchandise credit”.

This one is easy. File a small claims action against Tesla. You'll get your judgment and your money.

Tesla did a shady thing too with the $5000 refund for Performance buyers. They refused to also refund the different in sales taxes. Most would agree that's not legal, but I've yet to read about anyone taking them to small claims over it. I bet they'd win.

My charge was only $120. The Tesla accounting department has a lot of room for improvement. The slightest abnormal request and it's like playing dice, at least from what I've seen here on the forums. I hope that's on Musk's list as part of customer service.

That said, I went straight down the numbers with my car purchase everything went as smooth as silk from start to finish. Easiest car buying experience of my life.

This one is easy. File a small claims action against Tesla. You'll get your judgment and your money.

Tesla did a shady thing too with the $5000 refund for Performance buyers. They refused to also refund the different in sales taxes. Most would agree that's not legal, but I've yet to read about anyone taking them to small claims over it. I bet they'd win.

Nobody would win such a suit- since the $5000 was a courtesy/goodwill 'refund' offered in exchange for giving up FUSC, rather than a direct refund on the purchase price of the car- and this was clearly, publicly, stated by Tesla multiple times.

FWIW Tesla overcharged me by a little under $200 at purchase (Sept 30 2018)- I didn't get my refund check until late December and only after I submitted several "escalate for management review" service requests at tesla.com.... I did get it though.

Nobody would win such a suit- since the $5000 was a courtesy/goodwill 'refund' offered in exchange for giving up FUSC, rather than a direct refund on the purchase price of the car- and this was clearly, publicly, stated by Tesla multiple times.
That's obviously the argument Tesla would make. I wouldn't be so confident it would work, as the "minus $5k" became the new car price. Definitely evidence that it was a refund for the price reduction. Until someone pursues it, one never knows for sure. But small claims is a whole different ball game too. Most plaintiffs win in small claims.

That's obviously the argument Tesla would make. I wouldn't be so confident it would work, as the "minus $5k" became the new car price. Definitely evidence that it was a refund for the price reduction.

I'm unclear what you mean here.

Do you mean your MVPA was retroactively updated to show a new purchase price? I don't think you mean that, do you?

If so you'd have a point though.

If you mean 'NEW purchases were 5k less" then that has literally no relevance whatsoever to the case. What someone else paid for the car doesn't change what you paid for it (which is the amount sales tax is based on).