Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toolbox 3 Gateway Configuration Edit on Model 3 / Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

terranx

Aug 29, 2019
USA
Anyone out there know how to do this? As best as I can tell, the menu the tesla techs use (something to the effect of dashboard -> infotainment -> vehicle configuration change) isn't present in the version of toolbox us mere mortals get access to. However, under actions, PROC_ICE_X_SAFE-SET-VEHICLE-CONFIGS is available. The parameters it accepts are ConfigParams (type List) and Configs Require Ice Reboot (presumably yes/no, true/false, 0/1, etc -- can be left blank though I believe).

1669580343186.png

From what I can tell digging through the app.f5d3cbaebb2ad903a936.js file, this action is what's invoked when making the gateway config changes the official way. I just can't figure out how to format the input. For example I'm trying to change id 32 to 01, and I've tried sending {32, 01} and many variants (with quotes, different brackets, etc), to no avail. I mostly get an error about not being to cast the input as a List.

Anyone out there know what to do or can help with some hints? I can share any other relevant info

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
This is really depressing that there is no way to change the config. In comparison to other cars such as BMW VW and other you can buy some
OBD adapters and you can change instantly millions of config. I myself have been wanting to change some stuff driving a Model 3 2022 but unfortunately it’s Ryzen processor which is nearly impossible to unlock or make edits apart from sending to someone some thousands €€ who then sends you a tutorial on how to solder and change the configs directly to the chip which again is a risk if you break something it’s going to be €€€€. But yeah let’s hope that one day rooting etc like Model S legacy will be available and we can make the edits we wants to OUR cars.
Edit: Speaking of Secured Configs

Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
This is really depressing that there is no way to change the config. In comparison to other cars such as BMW VW and other you can buy some
OBD adapters and you can change instantly millions of config. I myself have been wanting to change some stuff driving a Model 3 2022 but unfortunately it’s Ryzen processor which is nearly impossible to unlock or make edits apart from sending to someone some thousands €€ who then sends you a tutorial on how to solder and change the configs directly to the chip which again is a risk if you break something it’s going to be €€€€. But yeah let’s hope that one day rooting etc like Model S legacy will be available and we can make the edits we wants to OUR cars.
Edit: Speaking of Secured Configs
Technically even BMW had stuff akin to secured configs (anything that required FSC codes to activate). Though they didn't lock a ton behind that, at least when I was still into BMW.

Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
So does anyone know how to get the actual configuration id that corresponds to the various filtered vitals if they're not documented in the list found within toolbox itself? I figured a few I wanted through trial and error, but there's some that seem tougher to narrow down.

Also what happens if you try changing a secured config? Does it just error out or do you break the car somehow?

I would be particularly interested in knowing the IDs for

Code:
cfg_rgbinteriorlightingenabled
cfg_frontseatventilationenabled
cfg_frontseatventilationtype
cfg_parkassistecutype

In the interest of sharing, these are the undocumented S/X ones I found

Code:
configid:
114 (cfg_steeringheatertype)
data:
04 (ZF_ROUND)
05 (ZF_YOKE)

configid:
121 (cfg_steeringwheeltype)
data:
00 (ROUND)
01 (YOKE)
02 (YOKE_HORN_IN_DAB) -- never used, presumably they were planning on horn within the airbag itself, and this might have been what Elon's infamous tweet was referring to about all cars having the hardware
03 (YOKE_MECHANICAL_HORN)
04 (ROUND_MECHANICAL_HORN)

configid:
132 (cfg_centerdisplaytilttype)
data:
00 (NONE)
02 (POWERED)

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
There is another gateway configuration value you need to set besides "Steering Wheel Heating Enabled" (115). There is one that tells the car it has a heated steering wheel fitted. I don't know the accessId unfortunately,
It's probably a moot point since 115 is apparently secured, but cfg_steeringheatertype (114) is probably the one you're looking for. That one isn't secured. On my model 3 it's set to "JSS_NA" (01). And the S/X options are shown above.

Reactions: Durzel
Upvote 0
More configs from poking around:
Code:
configid:
89 (cfg_autopilotcameratype)
data:
00 (RCCB_Cameras)
01 (RGGB_Cameras)

configid:
98 (cfg_parkassistecutype)
data:
00 (VALEO)
01 (TESLA)
02 (NONE)

configid:
150 (cfg_calipercolortype)
data:
00 (UNKNOWN)
02 (RED)

cfg_parkassistecutype is interesting because flipping that to "TESLA" did make my car think it's supposed to have ultrasonic sensors (presumably Valeo would do the same, but all refresh S/X with ultrasonics came with tesla branded sensors). The autopilot computer threw a bunch of errors though - not sure because if it's fundamentally incompatible (since no HW4 car came with USS) or if it's simply what's expected if the sensors are not there.

Could presumably go the other way and disable them on a car that has them if you really want to play with the vision stuff. But that's untested on my end.

Upvote 0
Would certainly be interesting to see if setting it to “NONE” would enable Tesla Vision Park Assist and the upcoming Autopark on cars that have ultrasonics fitted (but at that point disabled).

Clearly there’s no version of the software that expects to accommodate both systems, so one would presume it’s an either/or choice, and may become that in the future anyway. I wonder whether Tesla are not allowing this functionality on USS-cars because they would at that point effectively be disabling functionality the customer had paid for. Then again, they did it with radar…

Intuitively “NONE” seems like the wrong way to kick Tesla Vision into gear. I’d have thought that “NONE” was an option if Tesla wanted to disable ultrasonics on a car, temporarily or otherwise, for some reason, but also not enable Tesla Vision at the sane time. I’d have expected a discrete “CAMERA” or “TESLA_VISION” option in addition to “NONE”.

When you changed yours to “TESLA”, did Tesla Vision stop working?

Upvote 0
Didn't actually test that far.

But I did test setting it to "NONE" on a USS car after that post, and it does appear to enable Tesla vision.
Oh wow,
If it could be turned off that easily.
Then we can presume that Tesla is trying to have the USS work in conjunction with tap to park and high fidelity parking.
And not just simply going to turn it off 🤷
Tempting to go in there and change the config to none until Tesla comes out with an update that has USS and those two features 🤔

Upvote 0
Didn't actually test that far.

But I did test setting it to "NONE" on a USS car after that post, and it does appear to enable Tesla vision.
PSA to everyone going to do this, you cannot undo it!! Once it’s disabled USS it’s DISABLED!

I’m now stuck with Tesla Vision on a USS vehicle :)

gw-diag SET_CONFIG_DATA 00 98 00

I’ve run this but it didn’t change it and the car was still showing vision

Upvote 0
PSA to everyone going to do this, you cannot undo it!! Once it’s disabled USS it’s DISABLED!

I’m now stuck with Tesla Vision on a USS vehicle :)
Are you sure? You mean you can't change the setting back afterwards? Or that even if changed back ultrasonics don't work?

Quite a few changes will require a software redeploy to work, headlights being one of them. Have you tried that?

Upvote 0
Are you sure? You mean you can't change the setting back afterwards? Or that even if changed back ultrasonics don't work?

Quite a few changes will require a software redeploy to work, headlights being one of them. Have you tried that?
After a redploy I got USS back but was nice to see Vision High Fidelity parking.

Upvote 0
After a redploy I got USS back but was nice to see Vision High Fidelity parking.
Okay I thought That's exactly what was happening you always have to redeploy firmware after you make a change.
Just good practice to do so.
Would this happen to be on a Intel MCU?
Would be nice to change that gateway config just temporarily until Tesla gets it sorted on infusing the USS with Tesla vision high fidelity, tap to park.
I currently don't have access to any tool box to fiddle around with

Upvote 0
Is this something that can be changed on Toolbox 3 then? Or does it need elevated access?

I'm not so sure Tesla will infuse Tesla Vision with USS, it kinda goes against their guiding principal for removing USS in the first place - they believe that cameras/Tesla Vision can do it just as well if not better. I think it's more likely that they will either "upgrade" USS cars to use Tesla Vision for parking, disabling ultrasonics, or they will give people the choice to use one or the other. Knowing Tesla's hubris I would suspect they'd choose the former. Of course, they could also just never do anything Tesla Vision wise for USS cars, deeming them legacy.

Upvote 0
I saw the "accessId": 17 is brakeHWType. I am wondering if I could change the value to 1 to showning the red caliper on UI/App? The description of 1 is "Performance package M3"

I have done the hardware upgrade of caplier into the performance. It work with zero alert. I have conect to one of the person who can change those value and he had successful try to add a matrix headlight on a 2020 model 3 in China. He said once he changed the id 17 into 1 on a 2020 model 3 the screen will show some alert telling he breaking is limit or unable.

Code:
{
      "accessId": 17,
      "codeKey": "brakeHWType",
      "content": {
        "enums": [
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_P42_MANDO_43MOC",
            "description": "Base package for M3",
            "value": 0,
            "products": [
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_BREMBO_44MOC",
            "description": "Performance package M3",
            "value": 1,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_MANDO_43MOC",
            "description": "Base package Model Y",
            "value": 2,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_BREMBO_LARGE_44MOC",
            "description": "Performance package Model Y",
            "value": 3,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO2_42_44_D380_MANDO1_43_D365",
            "description": "Model S base brake package. Applied to Model S base and performance variants.",
              "Lychee",
              "Tamarind"
            ],
            "value": 4
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO2_42_44_D395_MANDO1_43_D365",
            "description": "Model X base brake package. Applied to Model X base and performance variants.",
              "Lychee",
              "Tamarind"
            ],
            "value": 5
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_V2_BREMBO_44MOC",
            "description": "Performance brake package with new EPB motor for performance 3",
            "value": 6,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_V2_BREMBO_LARGE_44MOC",
            "description": "Performance brake package with new EPB motor for performance Y",
            "value": 7,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_LARGE_P42_V2_MANDO_43MOC",
            "description": "Base package for MY new EPB motor for quieter operation",
            "value": 8,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          },
          {
            "codeKey": "BREMBO_P42_V2_MANDO_43MOC",
            "description": "Base package for M3 new EPB motor for quieter operation",
            "value": 9,
              "Model3",
              "ModelY"
            ]
          }
        ]
      },
      "description": "Brake caliper hardware type",
        "Model3",
        "ModelY",
        "Tamarind",
        "Lychee"
      ]
}

Attachments

• d16abf3f1a68f2ba77edba36b6a7776.jpg
    d16abf3f1a68f2ba77edba36b6a7776.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Is this something that can be changed on Toolbox 3 then? Or does it need elevated access?

I'm not so sure Tesla will infuse Tesla Vision with USS, it kinda goes against their guiding principal for removing USS in the first place - they believe that cameras/Tesla Vision can do it just as well if not better. I think it's more likely that they will either "upgrade" USS cars to use Tesla Vision for parking, disabling ultrasonics, or they will give people the choice to use one or the other. Knowing Tesla's hubris I would suspect they'd choose the former. Of course, they could also just never do anything Tesla Vision wise for USS cars, deeming them legacy.
Then why can't they just go ahead and disable them already. They disabled the radar pretty easily a while back. So go ahead and disable the USS I mean it would be pretty nice to have the USS work in conjunction with the so-called Tesla vision. But since Tesla vision is literally just the cameras with no radar or USS why don't we just go ahead and disable the USS and BAM there you go we all have tap the park and High Fidelity Park assist. They either need to just go ahead and disable it now permanently or temporarily so The people that have USS can have those options. Theory is that they're just gathering more data from the USS to have it work with in conjunction with USS but what's the point if they're not making any more cars with those sensors

Upvote 0