Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toolbox 3 Gateway Configuration Edit on Model 3 / Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

terranx

Aug 29, 2019
USA
Listings
Anyone out there know how to do this? As best as I can tell, the menu the tesla techs use (something to the effect of dashboard -> infotainment -> vehicle configuration change) isn't present in the version of toolbox us mere mortals get access to. However, under actions, PROC_ICE_X_SAFE-SET-VEHICLE-CONFIGS is available. The parameters it accepts are ConfigParams (type List) and Configs Require Ice Reboot (presumably yes/no, true/false, 0/1, etc -- can be left blank though I believe).

1669580343186.png

From what I can tell digging through the app.f5d3cbaebb2ad903a936.js file, this action is what's invoked when making the gateway config changes the official way. I just can't figure out how to format the input. For example I'm trying to change id 32 to 01, and I've tried sending {32, 01} and many variants (with quotes, different brackets, etc), to no avail. I mostly get an error about not being to cast the input as a List.

Anyone out there know what to do or can help with some hints? I can share any other relevant info

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
If anybody needs gateway config changed, can write me PM, I can do it remotely. For any Tesla.
I just wanted to add - this was the correct solution for me :) @DaBase was able to activate 2nd row heating and ambient lighting on a MCU2, model s, latest firmware- hardware for new features needs to be installed already obviously.

Price is reasonable- about half of Tesla's cost estimate to "investigate" why my HW was not working ;) - but no guaratee Tesla techs will activate features. I previously had good luck getting my MCU2 radio, fog lights, heated stearing wheel, spoiler on display activated by a friendly tech at Tesla during warranty work, so that was basically free. But my friendly tech left :(

All @DaBase needed was a Windows 10 laptop, anydesk/teamviewer, Tesla fakra-ethernet Service Cable (Tesla PN 1013230-00-A or ebay ) and a strong internet connection near car. Took a couple of hours to setup but the actual activation was quick once setup. All features tested and working before pay via PayPal.

was done using standard Tesla Toolbox 3.0 but with the privileges to unlock the gateway, which is the most important thing. I believe this makes the changes persistent between fws and can apply to any Tesla.

edit: cheaper ebay cable

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If anybody needs gateway config changed, can write me PM, I can do it remotely. For any Tesla.
Do you happen to know if you can change the "ece_restrictions" or "eu_vehicle" config variables?

Would quite like to have a Summon that actually works without me having to be in touching distance of the car, or at least would like to see what the car does without these restrictions in place.

Upvote 0
What if you already have heated seats active being a performance model 3 or that doesn't matter, still protected?
If so any way around it?
You would need to root the car to activate protected options. No public methods to root the car as far as I’m aware

No idea if the steering wheel heater is a protected option or not. Being a paid option doesn’t necessarily mean it’s protected

Reactions: davidalindsey
Upvote 0
It is, since it was originally part of an option (“Cold Weather Feature”) on eligible cars. It’s still sold today.
Dang, I mean how much is that package? Pretty lame
Especially now that it's free.
Was hoping to get a heated steering wheel activated in the config to have a canbus server activate since VCLeft would not respond to message.
Since 2018 M3P did not have heated wheel option I couldn't get Tesla to change ID in gateway.

Upvote 0
Dang, I mean how much is that package? Pretty lame
Especially now that it's free.
Was hoping to get a heated steering wheel activated in the config to have a canbus server activate since VCLeft would not respond to message.
Since 2018 M3P did not have heated wheel option I couldn't get Tesla to change ID in gateway.
I’m not totally sure if I’m honest. Others may have a more definitive opinion on that configuration option.

I managed to get Tesla to try and activate it on my 2020 M3P. I bought a steering wheel brand new from them (~£975 at the time) so they obliged in trying to get it to work. I actually received a call proactively from my local service centre one day telling me they “now had a script to activate heated steering wheels on cars that have arrived without it turned on”, and did I want to drive over for them to run it on my car... This was around the time it was made a standard feature, so I assume this script was to fix cars that were arriving that were coded before this change was made.

Anyway, I didn’t need to be asked twice so I drove on over. They spent about 3.5 hours trying to get it working on my car without success. From what I’ve been told they managed to change several config options via this script (I presume “heated wheel fitted” and “heated wheel enabled”). They told me they got the UI elements to appear in the car, but that pressing them didn’t do anything. They surmised this was because of an incompatibility in the left body controller, mine was too old and predated whatever changes they made to allow for steering wheel heating (bigger MOSFETs?).

Anyway, the later left body controllers are incompatible - completely different connectors. Tesla reverted all of the changes they made on my car. I asked them if they could just leave it configured even if it didn’t work, in case I could jerry rig something based off of that LIN signal at a later date, but they weren’t prepared to let me drive off with an unsupported configuration.

All of that is to say that if you can get root you can change those settings and the button should appear (in car and app), and you can go from there. I don’t know the name of the script Tesla have to allow service centres to make this change unfortunately, I was given a service bulletin number (or something along those lines) for it but have misplaced it. Either way trying to get Tesla to do it is probably a non starter unless you know someone there.

If you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about (CANBUS server) then I wanted Tesla to make the button appear on mode to do exactly the same thing - use the LIN signal as the basis for turning the wheel on, rather than piggybacking off of the passenger seat heat signal as is default, I believe.

Reactions: davidalindsey
Upvote 0
I’m not totally sure if I’m honest. Others may have a more definitive opinion on that configuration option.

I managed to get Tesla to try and activate it on my 2020 M3P. I bought a steering wheel brand new from them (~£975 at the time) so they obliged in trying to get it to work. I actually received a call proactively from my local service centre one day telling me they “now had a script to activate heated steering wheels on cars that have arrived without it turned on”, and did I want to drive over for them to run it on my car... This was around the time it was made a standard feature, so I assume this script was to fix cars that were arriving that were coded before this change was made.

Anyway, I didn’t need to be asked twice so I drove on over. They spent about 3.5 hours trying to get it working on my car without success. From what I’ve been told they managed to change several config options via this script (I presume “heated wheel fitted” and “heated wheel enabled”). They told me they got the UI elements to appear in the car, but that pressing them didn’t do anything. They surmised this was because of an incompatibility in the left body controller, mine was too old and predated whatever changes they made to allow for steering wheel heating (bigger MOSFETs?).

Anyway, the later left body controllers are incompatible - completely different connectors. Tesla reverted all of the changes they made on my car. I asked them if they could just leave it configured even if it didn’t work, in case I could jerry rig something based off of that LIN signal at a later date, but they weren’t prepared to let me drive off with an unsupported configuration.

All of that is to say that if you can get root you can change those settings and the button should appear (in car and app), and you can go from there. I don’t know the name of the script Tesla have to allow service centres to make this change unfortunately, I was given a service bulletin number (or something along those lines) for it but have misplaced it. Either way trying to get Tesla to do it is probably a non starter unless you know someone there.

If you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about (CANBUS server) then I wanted Tesla to make the button appear on mode to do exactly the same thing - use the LIN signal as the basis for turning the wheel on, rather than piggybacking off of the passenger seat heat signal as is default, I believe.
Last part is exactly what I am trying to do. In fact the guy that makes the CANBUS and heated steering wheel retrofit hardware is trying to get it all sorted so that way we can have his CANBUS trigger from the heated wheel in the UI. Instead of piggybacking off of a seat heater.

We just need to know if the heated wheel function is a secured ID under the config. If anyone has access to change the gateway config I need him to reach out to the CANBUS maker.

Last edited:
Reactions: ph0ton and Durzel
Upvote 0
I don't even see the steering wheel heater config in the toolbox javascript. Doesn't mean it's a config that doesn't exist, but could mean even the highest level of toolbox doesn't actually have access to change that -- there are a few options like that to my knowledge (ultrasonics being another one)

Upvote 0