Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top 3 things to check - Used MX from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll be ready to pick up our MX in couple weeks. I plan to use one of the checklists in the forums during pick up but wanted to quickly check - what are the top 3 must checks for a used 2016 AP2 MX from Tesla ?

1) MCU 1 - Yellow border? This car has FSD paid for - should I worry about MCU1 being slow or for the yellow border issue? Since new HW will be installed when ready.

2) FWD alignment issues - checking if FWD open and close normally without any squeak. Look for stress marks around door?

3) Acceleration shudder? Check if this was fixed by previous owner? I assume I cannot tell this until I drive the MX and I don’t think test drives are allowed - how to go about this one ?

What would be your top 3 things to check/verify before signing during delivery.

Thanks
Vamshi

I’ll be ready to pick up our MX in couple weeks. I plan to use one of the checklists in the forums during pick up but wanted to quickly check - what are the top 3 must checks for a used 2016 AP2 MX from Tesla ?

1) MCU 1 - Yellow border? This car has FSD paid for - should I worry about MCU1 being slow or for the yellow border issue? Since new HW will be installed when ready.

2) FWD alignment issues - checking if FWD open and close normally without any squeak. Look for stress marks around door?

3) Acceleration shudder? Check if this was fixed by previous owner? I assume I cannot tell this until I drive the MX and I don’t think test drives are allowed - how to go about this one ?

What would be your top 3 things to check/verify before signing during delivery.

Thanks
Vamshi

Here is a good list - Taking delivery of 2016 Model X 75D this afternoon (9/18/2019)- looking for advice on what to check

I would add:
1) Windshield ghosting - Early VIN Model X cars have a previous revision windshield which causes a ghosting effect at night. There is a newer revision windshield to fix.
2) Front door latches - Early VIN MX cars have an older latch that was louder and prone to failure than current.
3) FWD functionality on level and inclines/declines

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
You need to look for damaged things that can only be fixed for free if found at delivery. Squeaks, rubs, vibrations; those are common issues and they will usually fix them even months later under warranty. They will not, however, believe you on broken things that they could categorize under "normal wear and tear". For example, check for exterior damage to body/windows. They will repair a cracked windshield or a dented hood identified at delivery but not after you bring it home (You'll have to schedule a return visit later for them to fix, but at least it's on their dime). <<<this happened to me. look closely at the rubber seals and how they "interact" with the windows/doors when opening/closing. they should be a tight fit, no brittle, cracked, shredded rubber pieces should be hanging out. check the trim and make sure it's affixed on there tight.

Do not drive off before making sure the car charges/ charge port door functions as intended. Plug it into their demo wall charger or supercharger if they have onsite. Last thing you want to do is get stranded unable to charge because of faulty charging you find out at the last minute in the middle of nowhere.

Do a soft reset then tap through all the settings to make sure everything looks normal. If this is your first Tesla, bring a (knowledgeable) friend that already has one. They will be able to immediately spot things that aren't right.

If you have a yellow border, don't accept car unless you get a due bill to fix. Otherwise they will NOT fix it.

MCU1 is slower but not to the point of uselessness. if you have fsd paid for, don't even worry about it.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
I suppose it all depends on the delivery center. Mine (Costa Mesa) basically held their ground that the car was sold as is. I had to fight to get a due bill for the grinding/knocking noise I was getting while turning and accelerating.

The service center told me to go back and insist on a due bill in case the noise wasn’t covered by warranty. It was really like pulling teeth and had to go back multiple times and speak to the manager

I suppose it all depends on the delivery center. Mine (Costa Mesa) basically held their ground that the car was sold as is. I had to fight to get a due bill for the grinding/knocking noise I was getting while turning and accelerating.

The service center told me to go back and insist on a due bill in case the noise wasn’t covered by warranty. It was really like pulling teeth and had to go back multiple times and speak to the manager

i also got mine from costa mesa. you need to be firm and insist. if they will not fix it, you will not take it. they will fix it ;)

i also got mine from costa mesa. you need to be firm and insist. if they will not fix it, you will not take it. they will fix it ;)

In hindsight as should’ve pushed more. I really did find the car I was looking for and for a great price. Wasn’t sure how they would react if I told them I was walking. Had I test drove it though, I definitely would have walked away.

I finally dropped the car off yesterday for the noise after a month of waiting. Definitely left a negative first impression.