TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Top Off" function after standard charge

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by asgard, Sep 15, 2013.

1. asgard

asgard Member

What does the "Top off" button on the VDS do after a standard charge?
    I don't want to experiment with it, in case it charges the battery to the max - a wasted range mode charge when I don't need it :)
    Thanks!

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

That is basically what it does as it tops off the battery. I use rarely, only when trying to get the maximum distance out of a charge. A couple of times a year I have a meeting 111 miles away. So at 222 miles that is at the edge of the range for the Roadster. So for that I might top off to ensure I make it home.

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

The top off option to me only makes sense after a Roadster has been charged in Range mode for that its continuously bleeding down the battery, and right before you're heading out on your long distance trip as dhrivnak mentioned you can use it to get a few miles back but you'll need to drive off ASAP to utilize the gain.

4. Alan

Alan Member

If you have left the car fully charged for a few days then self discharge / small electrical load (alarm etc) / cell balancing will mean that the battery has discharged by a few %. You can then top up. If you were in standard mode then top up stays in standard mode so no worry using it.