Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top window tints are too dark for my liking. How does a lighter shade do in ths un?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my m3 tinted when I first got it at the end of 2018. I had to get it done twice and the front windshield still has spots and creases in it. I'm finally getting around to taking it to someone who can do it correctly (hint: NOT T sportline).

I figured I'd use this opportunity to change the top window tints to something that isn't' so dark. I want to sense the sky and sun again. However, I'm wondering if the lighter tints allow a lot of sun in. I've never felt hot with the heat coming from the light through my front windshield, and that tint is pretty light. I'm wondering how that feels if applied to the top windows too.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I got my m3 tinted when I first got it at the end of 2018. I had to get it done twice and the front windshield still has spots and creases in it. I'm finally getting around to taking it to someone who can do it correctly (hint: NOT T sportline).

I figured I'd use this opportunity to change the top window tints to something that isn't' so dark. I want to sense the sky and sun again. However, I'm wondering if the lighter tints allow a lot of sun in. I've never felt hot with the heat coming from the light through my front windshield, and that tint is pretty light. I'm wondering how that feels if applied to the top windows too.

Im getting a film installed ( not tint ).

Suntec CIR 80 BLK

Its a clear ( barely visible ) film who's primary intent is to block the suns damaging rays that heat up the car in the summer.

You can barely see any tinting. Comes in a faint black or faint blue. I opted for faint blue.

• Informative
Reactions: Drizzle
Im getting a film installed ( not tint ).

Suntec CIR 80 BLK

Its a clear ( barely visible ) film who's primary intent is to block the suns damaging rays that heat up the car in the summer.

You can barely see any tinting. Comes in a faint black or faint blue. I opted for faint blue.
Um, no. The greenhouse effect responsible for heating up the inside of your car is effected by VISIBLE spectrum penetration followed by apbsorption by your interior upholstery or whatever and then reradiation as infrared that is trapped in the vehicle. UV plays virtually no role as it is absorbed by the glass (hence you can get hot but not burned in a car with the windows closed!) If you want a cooler interior, you HAVE to block visible light; no free lunch. If "barely visibile" then barely effective.

Um, no. The greenhouse effect responsible for heating up the inside of your car is effected by VISIBLE spectrum penetration followed by apbsorption by your interior upholstery or whatever and then reradiation as infrared that is trapped in the vehicle. UV plays virtually no role as it is absorbed by the glass (hence you can get hot but not burned in a car with the windows closed!) If you want a cooler interior, you HAVE to block visible light; no free lunch. If "barely visibile" then barely effective.

Umm no. Infrared is part of what makes you feel hot and some of the newer tints can block some of it out. Tint technology has changed a lot the past couple of years, this is not 2001 anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Drizzle and XLR82XS
If you live anywhere near Simi Valley or are willing to make the drive I can recommend you the tint shop that did my windows absolutely perfectly. Rear window tint one piece. No bubbles or scratches. First time I have ever gotten window tint done 100% right the first time

They do window tints on Tesla's all the time as well. I didn't get any tint on the glass roof though. I don't ever feel heat coming through and I love the clear open view of the sky