Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Central Stealth EcoHitch for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would rather the hitch came straight out the back bumper panel, and was non-removable. Model 3 doesn't have that much ground clearance to spare, especially in mountain bike terrain. There's about 4-inches it could raise if it came straight back from the towbar, instead of down and out. Get a nice tight square cut through bumper panel and add a sleek rubber border/seal for aesthetical finish; wear that hitch proudly and with no scraping. Could even be a smaller hitch (1.25").

Anyone else want that option designed?

Last edited:
I would rather the hitch came straight out the back bumper panel, and was non-removable. Model 3 doesn't have that much ground clearance to spare, especially in mountain bike terrain. There's about 4-inches it could raise if it came straight back from the towbar, instead of down and out. Get a nice tight square cut through bumper panel and add a sleek rubber border/seal for aesthetical finish; wear that hitch proudly and with no scraping. Could even be a smaller hitch (1.25").

I like the idea, but I don't like the idea of affecting the rear crumple zone.

Reactions: Hershy1

Not all of us use the hitch on a daily basis, and a lot of us don't like the looks of a hitch sticking out of a luxury car. You'd never know I have a hitch unless I have it on, but I proudly take it off when I don't need it. Where I live, we take the bikes to the trails and unload them at the trail head to ride the trails. I haven't driven bike trails, so I don't have problems with the hitch scraping, and when I'm not hauling, I'm not dragging.

As it is, I have the 1.25" hitch, primarily to remind me and friends that the tow weight is already too much as the car is not approved for towing or hauling.

I'd like a fixed one that comes out through the black trim below the bumper. The Forklift hitch looks way too low for me. It could do serious damage to the car backing out of a driveway. I want a 2" receiver though so I can use the same bike rack as my truck.
I'll probably end up welding a 2" hitch to whatever draw-tite comes up with (they make a 1.25" hitch for the S).

Reactions: Getlib
I'd like a fixed one that comes out through the black trim below the bumper. The Forklift hitch looks way too low for me. It could do serious damage to the car backing out of a driveway. I want a 2" receiver though so I can use the same bike rack as my truck.
I'll probably end up welding a 2" hitch to whatever draw-tite comes up with (they make a 1.25" hitch for the S).

Yeah - if the hitch came out the black part immediately below the colored bumper portion, that would be ideal.

Any experience using AutoPilot with something behind the car? I know the car's cameras are always active, so wonder what it does when there's a bike right behind the car.

I think it has been mentioned before but with a bike rack back there the distance sensors raise a klaxon, but someone posted then when the alarm is chiming an icon appears on the screen to the upper left of the car image that you can touch to turn off the sound. When all the alarms were sounding it was cacophonous, I was in greater danger of hitting something. But turn them off and use your mirrors like you have always done and there are no issues with the bike carrier being back there.

The rear camera sees thru the bike and allows you to control backing very well.

I hear the Model X has a sensor that detects when something is plugged into the hitch. I guess it turns off the rear-facing sensors. That would be a good hack for this system, perhaps when I wire the car for towing lights I'll try to figure out a switch or something. I don't plan on towing much, but I think I will wanna tow the car carrier, for the Tesla, with the Tesla, to the motorhome. The hitch is supposed to handle 2000 lbs and a car trailer isn't near that.

I do wonder how the MX handles range estimates when it's towing. Just towing a bike killed my performance, what must towing an Airstream do to you? Does the car on the highway flash "stay under 35 MPH to reach your destination"?

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Very helpful info here, thanks all, especially ForeverFree and Randy Spencer. Very impressed with the specificity and level of detail! Just became a Tesla owner last week and if this is any indication of the community, I’m even more glad to have signed on!

So I’m a Tesla newbie but a lifelong cyclist and that’s not gonna change. I’m actively considering putting a hitch and bike rack on my week old Model 3, just as I have on my last 3 vehicles, all Land Rovers. But if the aerodynamic performance hit on range is anything like what I’m reading here - nearly 40%!!! - I can’t go there. 320 mile range is a limit I hit every 2 days just living my life as is.

Could I please ask for some confirmation on that performance hit, either with the EcoStealth or any other hitch, and a bike rack in place? Thank you very kindly.

Charlie

Very helpful info here, thanks all, especially ForeverFree and Randy Spencer. Very impressed with the specificity and level of detail! Just became a Tesla owner last week and if this is any indication of the community, I’m even more glad to have signed on!

So I’m a Tesla newbie but a lifelong cyclist and that’s not gonna change. I’m actively considering putting a hitch and bike rack on my week old Model 3, just as I have on my last 3 vehicles, all Land Rovers. But if the aerodynamic performance hit on range is anything like what I’m reading here - nearly 40%!!! - I can’t go there. 320 mile range is a limit I hit every 2 days just living my life as is.

Could I please ask for some confirmation on that performance hit, either with the EcoStealth or any other hitch, and a bike rack in place? Thank you very kindly.

Charlie

Single-car family here. Bike goes on the back of the Model 3 M-F. Mix of highway and residential driving. I can get you a Wh/m number tonight if that interests you?

~15 miles each way.

Edit - Girlfriend is 5'1" and rides a tiny Surly Midnight Special with 650b+ wheels. So drag may vary with bike size.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue in NC

I have the hitch and with over 7” of ground clearance it has not been a problem. I for one would be VERY reluctant to cut a hole in the bumper.

Reactions: Blue in NC

Charlie
There is no decernable hit to mileage with jut the hitch. But yes when hauling bikes I could see a significant hit. Maybe 30% as I saw a 40% hit pulling a 2000 lb camper.

I'm new to hitches. Hopefully some wisdom can be shared.

Looking to attach an EcoHitch to a Model 3, attach a powered lift (75-80 lb.) to it, and transport a scooter with it (70-90 lb.).

Two questions:
1. Torklift (on the website and phone) says the hitch is rated for 200 lb. at the ball. If the lift + scooter extend backwards 3 feet and are roughly evenly distributed front-to-back weight in that region, that's 145 - 170 lb. approximately 1.5 feet from the ball. Is the 170 lb. number "comfortably ok" with that 200 lb. rating?
2. The lift is powered. Has anybody run power to a hitch item (taillights on a light tow?) yet? I'm not familiar with where/how that power gets connected. Any thoughts would be helpful (perhaps from Model S experiences if they translate).

Charlie
Even with the performance hit, it's only when you have bikes on the rack. When the rack is off, there should be zero issue. Do you commute with your bikes on the rack?

Her bike is a size 40, 650b+ and is on the car M-F. I occasionally have my 29er XC bike or 700c cyclocross bike. Tonight I will get you data for the former on our 10 mile trip home from the gym.

This is a non issue. Trip from gym->home->work (roughly 25 miles). Averaged 216 Wh/mi. This includes some on-ramp shenanigans. My lifetime is 244 Wh/mi over 2,200 miles - a couple of road trips in there at ~75 mph.

Hey TMC,

Just got the EcoHitch for the Model 3 installed today.

I decided to call my body guy in Colorado Springs.

Local body shop quote:
Time - 2-3 hours
Price - $140 ... !!

I went with my body guy.

Picked it up this evening, and the STEALTH nomenclature is NO JOKE! It's invisible when the receiver is not in place. The opening that was cut turned out to be not quite big enough when I tested putting the receiver on, but they opened it up a bit for me on the spot.

Review:
This will be incoming this weekend as I try out the hitch with the 1UP USA 2" Quik Rack.

Stay Tuned!

Hello Everman,
How has your Ecohitch been treating you?
Are you happy with the Ecohitch and the 1UP?

It appears you have been using it for almost 6 months.

Anything you like or don't like about the Ecohitch?
Have you carried more then 1 bike?
Where in Colorado Springs did you have it installed?

I live in the Roaring Fork Valley, and plan on having a hitch installed to carry bikes too.

Hope you are having a great fall.

Thanks for your time.

Hello Everman,
How has your Ecohitch been treating you?
Are you happy with the Ecohitch and the 1UP?

It appears you have been using it for almost 6 months.

Anything you like or don't like about the Ecohitch?
Have you carried more then 1 bike?
Where in Colorado Springs did you have it installed?

I live in the Roaring Fork Valley, and plan on having a hitch installed to carry bikes too.

Hope you are having a great fall.

Thanks for your time.

I just got the ecohitch and had a hold up 2 bike rack. I have been leaving the hitch itself installed and just putting the rack on when i go ride as it is a little pain trying to tilt the rack to get into the trunk and it plays with sensors. I am curious how the 1up handles with the sensors. Does anybody have a 1up!!!!?