TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Toronto to Florida

Discussion in 'Model S' started by richardfallows, Feb 16, 2015.

1. richardfallows

Anyway no can we get to Florida from Toronto using supperchargers now with the weather being so cold

2. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Yes, leave the Toronto Supercharger with a full charge and go the 246 km to the Kingston Supercharger. Charge to 90% there and off to Utica (223 km). Just don't drive over 110 kph for those first two segments.

After that it is very easy, because the Superchargers are closer together and the weather if warmer. A suggested route would be Albany-Paramus-Hamilton-Newark (DE), Woodbridge and then all the other stops on I-95. This allows you to skip Edison, NJ (heavy traffic area) and Bethesda, MD (only two stalls). The tricky part about Paramus is that you can only enter from the Northbound side of the parkway.

3. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Or it seems you could skip Kingston by using Cornwall. Full charge there should make Utica (270 km) without much problem if driven conservatively and that's a lot less far out of your way, so it's worth being conservative.

4. sperrysburg

sperrysburg Member

I think you should also consider the I-75 route. You will need to find some kind of charging boost in Detroit but I think it will save you many miles and time. You may also need a boost in Knoxville, TN.

5. cwave1

cwave1 Member

We are starting at night and are staying overnight at an RV park on 219 south of Buffalo with an overnight charge. Holiday Valley Lodge on 219 is also an option that is a bit closer to Toronto but further from Somerset.

Here is my complete route in case in can help you. The detour to Charlotte is to visit a family member.

=====================
    Night #1
    =====================
    1. Mississauga - Bettum's Idlewood Family Campground / RV - 299 Big Shanty Rd, Lewis Run, PA
    - 274 km

=====================
    Full Day 1
    =====================
    2. Bettum's Idlewood Family Campground - Somerset PA
    - 264 km
    - MAP
    3. Somerset PA - Woodbridge VA
    - 309 km
    - MAP
    4. Woodbridge VA - South Hill VA
    - 268 km
    - MAP
    5. South Hill VA - Huntersville NC
    - 332 km
    - MAP

=======================
    Full Day 2
    =======================
    6. Huntersville NC - Santee SC
    - 271 km
    - MAP
    7. Santee SC - Savannah GA
    - 176 km
    - MAP
    8. Savannah GA - St Augustine FL
    - 284 km
    - MAP
    9. St Augustine FL - Orlando FL
    - 185 km
    - MAP

6. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

If you come through Va and the Carolinas this week, it is unusually cold and lots of snow from Va. northwards, impacting range.

7. cwave1

cwave1 Member

Thanks for the heads up. My trip is planned starting March 12th so hopefully it will be a little warmer by then.

8. richardfallows

thanks so much for all your help I got some thinking to do now

9. PatD

PatD Member

Have you run your route through evtripplanner.com? There's a helpful option to route through superchargers.

10. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Someone in the Carolinas Facebook group posted an email from someone at Tesla saying they expect to open the Charlotte Supercharger this week. That will help you. At corner of Mallard Creek and Mallard Creek Church Rds in NE Charlotte near I-85.

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

And the Charlotte Supercharger thread has been vocal about people offering use of their chargers if you need it. I would extend the offer, but since I haven't purchased my Model S yet, I only have 120V charging (dryer outlet inaccessible in the basement).