Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Crap OEM Goodyear F1 Asymmetric Tires - Beware in snow!

patnshan

Oct 7, 2020
Milwaukee, WI USA
For the record, tire rack does have Tesla TPMS sensors. They are $95 each, ouch. You have to contact them specifically and request them to be added to your order. I worked with Oscar, who was great. I have black 18” rims with Blizzaks on the way for my Y. $2000 ish out the door.

dale_cooper

Dec 5, 2018
Columbus, OH
Agree to disagree. OEM all-season tires in the past have all been decent (though, admittedly this is first EV). To have to spend >$1k to replace OEM with decent all-season tires or order 2nd set of wheels & tires for $3.5k is very annoying.

What sort of "all season" tires do you have experience with? Keep in mind these are performance all season, not touring all seasons. They are automatically going to be much worse in the snow than a standard touring tire. Someone already mentioned it but most OEM tires are quite bad in the winter - especially if its a performance all season. Go to tire rack and look at the ratings for the continental tires that come on the 19" wheels - they have horrible reviews. Tesla tilts all their cars toward max range, so you're going to have tires that are low rolling resistance and generally have bad rubber compound for winter. These aren't 'normal cars' where you commonly have pretty good tires that come on an SUV.

It is unfortunate that tesla doesn't do more education but I think they don't want to scare people away; so you end up just having to learn it yourself and make a judgement call for your own safety.

At least you don't own a performance car and have no understanding of what a summer tire is, and you absolutely should not be driving it in winter.....

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
"All season" tires are not snow/ice/winter tires. Never have been. Never will be.
I've also had bad experience with Goodyear tires (performance tires) on a different car. I avoid them.

patnshan

Oct 7, 2020
Milwaukee, WI USA
What sort of "all season" tires do you have experience with? Keep in mind these are performance all season, not touring all seasons. They are automatically going to be much worse in the snow than a standard touring tire. Someone already mentioned it but most OEM tires are quite bad in the winter - especially if its a performance all season. Go to tire rack and look at the ratings for the continental tires that come on the 19" wheels - they have horrible reviews. Tesla tilts all their cars toward max range, so you're going to have tires that are low rolling resistance and generally have bad rubber compound for winter. These aren't 'normal cars' where you commonly have pretty good tires that come on an SUV.

It is unfortunate that tesla doesn't do more education but I think they don't want to scare people away; so you end up just having to learn it yourself and make a judgement call for your own safety.

At least you don't own a performance car and have no understanding of what a summer tire is, and you absolutely should not be driving it in winter.....

I’ve used both Continental DWS 06 and LW20’s on my vehicles. Both have been excellent in Wiscosnin winters. As good as snow? Of course not. But decent enough. The Goodyear’s are so much worse than decent.

dale_cooper

Dec 5, 2018
Columbus, OH
I’ve used both Continental DWS 06 and LW20’s on my vehicles. Both have been excellent in Wiscosnin winters. As good as snow? Of course not. But decent enough. The Goodyear’s are so much worse than decent.

DWS06 is known for being an exceptionally good high performance all season tire in the winter. 90% of its high performance all season competition won't be nearly as good. I had dws on my model 3 :) Almost put them on the Y, but opted for vredestein quatrac pro.

Reactions: patnshan

Koolio46

Aug 26, 2020
Boston, MA
The all season Pirelli Scorpion Verde 20” tires I had on my 2018 Audi SQ5 were good in the snow. Had no issues.

Same with the 19” all season Michelin Latitude run flats I had on my 2012 BMW X5 diesel.

The Goodyear eagle F1s seem to have less snow traction than those previous two tires...but I haven’t had to drive in the deep snow yet so jury is still out for me.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC