Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total lease costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems a little high. I only put $3,500 down which reduced the price to about $1,000 less that you say and the base payment before tax is $625...

View attachment 458011

You may be benefiting from a combination of things.

1. 10k mile lease, which can help increase the RV a bit.
2. The price of the M3P recently dropped in price and maybe they have not re-evaluated the residual value on the car?
3. Good timing as who really knows what the value of the car will be worth in 3 years anyway? It is just a guesstimate and Tesla may be subsidizing some of it internally somehow.

I don't know. All I know is that It cost me a lot less money over 3 years than my previous BMW purchase. If I count the amount of money I'm going to lose due to depreciation when I sell my BMW I will have paid about $970/mo. If I count all the money paid for the Tesla including taxes and fees I will have paid $810/mo. Plus I will have saved about $80/mo on gas.

I considered leasing the BMW too, and looking back I really should have. But I had it in my head I was going to keep it for 6-7 years and if I had then buying would have been the cheaper option. But, like always, I got the itch after 3 years and now I'm losing money on it instead of just turning it in. I think from now on I'll probably always lease. For my habits it just makes more sense.

I don't know. All I know is that It cost me a lot less money over 3 years than my previous BMW purchase. If I count the amount of money I'm going to lose due to depreciation when I sell my BMW I will have paid about $970/mo. If I count all the money paid for the Tesla including taxes and fees I will have paid $810/mo. Plus I will have saved about $80/mo on gas.

I considered leasing the BMW too, and looking back I really should have. But I had it in my head I was going to keep it for 6-7 years and if I had then buying would have been the cheaper option. But, like always, I got the itch after 3 years and now I'm losing money on it instead of just turning it in. I think from now on I'll probably always lease. For my habits it just makes more sense.

Very important to know yourself, and what you desire. I only leased for the last 12 years or so, before deciding to buy this model 3. Had leasing been available when my BMW came off lease, i might have leased this one too... although I wanted to actually buy something but could not find anything I thought I would like for 6-7 years that made sense to own that long. Then I test drove a model 3P and basically said "shut up and take my money" to the tesla sales rep :)

Something I noticed... it doesn’t seem like Tesla is passing on any federal tax incentives to lessees. Is that correct? Pretty sure that total cap cost of the car is just the website price with no adjustment for the $1875 tax credit.

No idea if they are or not, but as you likely know, they are not obligated to do so in any way shape or form. The owner of the vehicle is the one that qualifies for that incentive, and on a lease that owner is whoever is financing it. I dont think tesla has their own financial institution like many other high line car manufacturers. One way that you can consider they are "giving you" that incentive is that abnormally high residual value. In my opinion there is no chance that the car is worth 65+ perfent of its current value in 3 years. I could be wrong but I dont think so.

Especially if the prices go down, like they have been.

Something I noticed... it doesn’t seem like Tesla is passing on any federal tax incentives to lessees. Is that correct? Pretty sure that total cap cost of the car is just the website price with no adjustment for the $1875 tax credit.

They must be doing something because the lease amount dropped to $399/499/599 after the rebate dropped in July.

Regarding the federal tax credit, it has been a while since I was reading the details on their lease page, but somewhere in there they specifically state that they are adding it on to the normal residual value, clearly reducing the amortized portion of the lease payment. This also explains the very high residuals (68-70%), as well as the slight variations with capitalized cost changes.

No idea if they are or not, but as you likely know, they are not obligated to do so in any way shape or form. The owner of the vehicle is the one that qualifies for that incentive, and on a lease that owner is whoever is financing it. I dont think tesla has their own financial institution like many other high line car manufacturers. One way that you can consider they are "giving you" that incentive is that abnormally high residual value. In my opinion there is no chance that the car is worth 65+ perfent of its current value in 3 years. I could be wrong but I dont think so.

Especially if the prices go down, like they have been.

What do you think it will be worth in 3 years? I keep going back and forth between the lease vs. buy option.

What do you think it will be worth in 3 years? I keep going back and forth between the lease vs. buy option.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I see these cars as technology, not just "cars". How much is a 3 year old laptop worth compared to new, or a 3 year old iPhone?

What are the nosecone MCU1 No Autopilot model S' worth relative to what they are selling for now? Rhetorical questions, I did not (and dont intend to) look up those values. These cars are not rare porsches' though. When people are shopping for a tesla in the future, they are going to draw a line at things like "how much range does it have?" and which motor(s) are in it?

The second there is a car feature that is HW-3 only, everyone who doesnt have hardware 3 is going to take a depreciation hit (and a sizable one in my mind). That depreciation only really matters if one wants to sell the car. I am hopeful that I will love this car for 6-7 or even more years. One reason I bought the FSD package, even though I dont drive on autopilot much, let alone FSD, is I wanted the new computer. New computer = more current = longer on the "now" curve when it comes to features.

Anyway, I see these cars as tech, and tech depreciates pretty darn heavily when "new tech" comes out.